Willie and Corby Rofkin show

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Their weekly show is so good. 2 really knowledgeable guys talking about wrestling. Cover a ton of topics. On todays show Willie thinks PS may the landing spot for Hildebrandt. Didn't say he could confirm anything, but encouraging to hear. I hope he is right. He also predicted Beau Bartlett will take 3rd at NCAAs. Those 2 predictions would go a long way to help PS national championship aspirations! Their shows on NIL are really shocking and informative. It's going to be a mess at a lot of schools.

Last edited:

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
If that had been the case last year, PSU would've beaten Iowa by 9 pts.

I don't expect Hildebrandt to repeat 4th place with Glory and Arujau returning -- but there's no way Kerk finishes 7th again. So those probably balance out.

Also don't expect Marinelli to get injured at nationals again. And it's very risky to assume all 4 champs will repeat. So we will need Joe Lee to at least match Berge last year, and get improved production at 165 and 197.

But this scenario makes a team title feasible.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021

I don't expect Hildebrandt to repeat 4th place with Glory and Arujau returning -- but there's no way Kerk finishes 7th again. So those probably balance out.

Also don't expect Marinelli to get injured at nationals again. And it's very risky to assume all 4 champs will repeat. So we will need Joe Lee to at least match Berge last year, and get improved production at 165 and 197.

All good points. I would agree on all 4 Champs repeating (tough to do) and Kerk doing better. Getting more points at 125, 149, 157, and 165 could make the difference. I think it will be close, but definitely a way for PS. Need more points too.

Reactions: jack66

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
All good points. I would agree on all 4 Champs repeating (tough to do) and Kerk doing better. Getting more points at 125, 149, 157, and 165 could make the difference. I think it will be close, but definitely a way for PS. Need more points too.

Yeah, and that shouldn't be hard to do.

Last year: 125+149+157+165=4.5 pts.

Bartlett should easily cover that by himself.

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
I also think that getting better seeds can go a long way toward closing the bonus gap.

Last year Iowa had 8 wrestlers seeded in the top-5. This meant they wrestled 2 rounds before possibly facing a top-10 seed.

By contrast, 4 or our 9 wrestlers were seeded 12 or lower. This meant they were likely to face a top-10 seed in round 2, if not earlier.

Iowa earned those seeds and they took advantage ... kudos to them ... but a shortened season with several injured wrestlers made it hard for our young team to earn street cred. Hopefully, a full season will allow our guys to work their way up the rankings.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I also think that getting better seeds can go a long way toward closing the bonus gap.

Last year Iowa had 8 wrestlers seeded in the top-5. This meant they wrestled 2 rounds before possibly facing a top-10 seed.

By contrast, 4 or our 9 wrestlers were seeded 12 or lower. This meant they were likely to face a top-10 seed in round 2, if not earlier.

Iowa earned those seeds and they took advantage ... kudos to them ... but a shortened season with several injured wrestlers made it hard for our young team to earn street cred. Hopefully, a full season will allow our guys to work their way up the rankings.
Bingo.

Adding to this: we had a very young team, and the shortened season meant very little opportunity to work out any kinks ahead of B10s -- and that led directly to some lower seeds.

Iowa's (cough cough) experienced team didn't need that time to work on things. Also the shortened season kept them fresher, at least until the finals.

WEAREPSU_LI

Oct 13, 2021
I think our 4 champs keep at it and Beau will definitely be in it with everyone. If we get Drew, I think we feel good about 125 for most of the year.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
We'll find out about Drew H when we're supposed to find out. Until then, go Shunk, or whoever gets the nod at 125.

Reactions: Offshore

lobolion

Oct 23, 2021

Good analysis. Even if each of our four returning champs are considered 2-1 favorites against the field to repeat, that would mean there is a 10% chance of all four of them repeating.

Dogwelder

Oct 8, 2021
Good analysis. Even if each of our four returning champs are considered 2-1 favorites against the field to repeat, that would mean there is a 10% chance of all four of them repeating.
Good analysis, if you replace “10%” with “20%”. :) (Rounding from 16/81=19.753%.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Georgialion
Oct 31, 2021
Willie also reported it. He doesn't share rumors. Hildebrandt cant wrestle until January, so they will go with Shunk , Meredith or whoever until then.
Crockster , U are on point. That sounds just about right……

Imo more important then getting Wick at 165. I can see ppl being gun shy after that debacle but DH is a big get! Lotta ppl downplaying it outside of State College but that s a mistake and that know it. Game changer! Shunk, Meredith great kids and I look fwd to them wrestling and success . RH and Steen great benefits from a RS.

At 165 Facundo big upside. Willie rates him highly !!! Come Feb , March will make big progress. I have faith he ll be right in the mix. Another smart mature disciplined kid that learns “fast” . His talent and pedigree not in question. Big time talent!

I think 157 Joe Lee biggest unknown and room for points along w Bonus points by our big guys. I think RBY , Nick, Beau, CStar, AB , 197 and Kerk have all made sig gains since last year. Even our champs . Yes hard to repeat ( but why not! ) but bonus will go up imo. I think we c Beau, Beard ( Dean) and Kerk take it to the next level! I think Joe s injury weighed heavy on his decision making on the mat. Lee family great people- smart and hard workers! I m sure Cael and co. Worked hard on the mental stuff Which I think was exacerbated by the knee injury . As long as his descent to 157 not a factor - I m confident he s going to make some big noise! ( Obviously , I won’t speak for Willie but he has him at 6 in his latest crystal ball projection ) .

Enough talk , tomorrow we wrestle and we ll be behind any wrestler that steps on the mat in blue and white! I know my above analysis is with blue and white glasses on but I believe it and I believe in this team!
Let s Go!!!!!!!
The process towards March begins……..

Reactions: crockster
Oct 31, 2021

Imo more important then getting Wick at 165. I can see ppl being gun shy after that debacle but DH is a big get! Lotta ppl downplaying it outside of State College but that s a mistake and that know it. Game changer! Shunk, Meredith great kids and I look fwd to them wrestling and success . RH and Steen great benefits from a RS.

At 165 Facundo big upside. Willie rates him highly !!! Come Feb , March will make big progress. I have faith he ll be right in the mix. Another smart mature disciplined kid that learns “fast” . His talent and pedigree not in question. Big time talent!

I think 157 Joe Lee biggest unknown and room for points along w Bonus points by our big guys. I think RBY , Nick, Beau, CStar, AB , 197 and Kerk have all made sig gains since last year. Even our champs . Yes hard to repeat ( but why not! ) but bonus will go up imo. I think we c Beau, Beard ( Dean) and Kerk take it to the next level! I think Joe s injury weighed heavy on his decision making on the mat. Lee family great people- smart and hard workers! I m sure Cael and co. Worked hard on the mental stuff Which I think was exacerbated by the knee injury . As long as his descent to 157 not a factor - I m confident he s going to make some big noise! ( Obviously , I won’t speak for Willie but he has him at 6 in his latest crystal ball projection ) .

Enough talk , tomorrow we wrestle and we ll be behind any wrestler that steps on the mat in blue and white! I know my above analysis is with blue and white glasses on but I believe it and I believe in this team! ( Remember w all teams participating and greater parity the # of points to win team NC will be lower).
Let s Go!!!!!!!

crockster

Oct 31, 2021

Enough talk , tomorrow we wrestle and we ll be behind any wrestler that steps on the mat in blue and white! I know my above analysis is with blue and white glasses on but I believe it and I believe in this team!
Let s Go!!!!!!!
Should be another great season. With Hildebrandt and hopefully a renewed Joe Lee , they ave a solid lineup.

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
Today on First Word, Corby and Willie think PS has just too many holes between 149-165 to win a National Championship. They don't think Edsell or Barraclough make it to NCAAs and downgraded their opinion on Beau at 149 being much of a factor. They think Beau is good , but to small against bigger opponents. Maybe top 16. (They think he will go down to 141 next year-probably right) They have no idea of how Dean will do. Maybe 6-8 at NCAAs. I personally think Dean or Beard will surprise people where they finish at NCAAs and the same with Beau. I probably dont disagree with them on Barraclough and Edsell. Facundo is the wildcard.Is he ready? They also said , believe it or not, Suriano coming back to PS isn't out of the question yet.

Reactions: Someposter

backdrft76

Oct 11, 2021
Today on First Word, Corby and Willie think PS has just too many holes between 149-165 to win a National Championship. They don't think Edsell or Barraclough make it to NCAAs and downgraded their opinion on Beau at 149 being much of a factor. They think Beau is good , but to small against bigger opponents. Maybe top 16. (They think he will go down to 141 next year-probably right) They have no idea of how Dean will do. Maybe 6-8 at NCAAs. I personally think Dean or Beard will surprise people where they finish at NCAAs and the same with Beau. I probably dont disagree with them on Barraclough and Edsell. Facundo is the wildcard.Is he ready? They also said , believe it or not, Suriano coming back to PS isn't out of the question yet.
It's like they read my mind or something. 🤔 We need a prayer answered at 125 as well.

Oct 31, 2021
If we get Hildebrandt and Facundo is who we think he will be, we’re in solid shape no matter what happens at 57.
Exactly right! That s the spirit. DH and Beau gonna show ppl! Ppl can right off Facundo at their own risk! 157 we ll see. Would love to know Joe s situation . Imo we don t know the whole story! Good let ppl count us out. The process will take care of itself! Now s the time to double our support not throw in the towel! Keep faith! And let s fight! C all the doubters in March!
You are either in or out. If you are out - good riddance ! If you are in……..
Let s Go!!!!!!

Reactions: NittanyChris

psupower

Oct 11, 2021
Love Beau but he’s very small for 149. Honestly looking at his height he’s a 33 or 41 pounder max. Great attitude though.

Reactions: Therealbige

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
I wonder if Corby and Willie are predicting an easy Iowa championship after watching Iowa's lackluster performance?

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
I wonder if Corby and Willie are predicting an easy Iowa championship after watching Iowa's lackluster performance?
What was lackluster about it, other than Cass getting flipped over (which was really more him taking shortcuts instead of fundamentals from a pinning position)?

Iowa sat their starters at 125, 149, 174, 184, and 197 -- and only the 197 lost.

Monday beat Young but that's not exactly a shock -- they were ranked 6th and 7th going in.

DeSanto and Eierman both won by bonus, and Marinelli beat a returning NQ 12-5.

Reactions: Dogwelder
Oct 31, 2021
What was lackluster about it, other than Cass getting flipped over (which was really more him taking shortcuts instead of fundamentals from a pinning position)?

Iowa sat their starters at 125, 149, 174, 184, and 197 -- and only the 197 lost.

Monday beat Young but that's not exactly a shock -- they were ranked 6th and 7th going in.

DeSanto and Eierman both won by bonus, and Marinelli beat a returning NQ 12-5.
Agree El jefe, Can t take much from that match. But Beau got dropped after a win vs an excellent opponent. Was that lackluster? Surely , Cass s defeat regardless of how it happened counts for something, agree that wasn’t there team but is that our team at 125, 157 and 165? Also Glory Didn t go. Willie s crazy as a Fox - he s got us talking about wrestling and debating - love it . But yes it s just a crystal ball projection . Good thing is we ll see in the end who s bettter: on the mat . As always El Jefe ultimate respect for your opinion Wrestling and otherwise. Yes Young losing not “ unexpected “ but u know they wanted that one and thought he d win . We have work to do yes but so do all teams. All the best. CBV
Let s Go!!!!!!!

Reactions: Lumps Pajamas
Oct 31, 2021
One thing I can guarantee you it won’t be an easy NC. I don t take much from Iowa s match not do I over react to our Nov performances. Willie just sparking debate and interest which is good. Do u really thing Willy s written off Beau? No way imo. Cass did get pinned . I like our guy at 285. 157 Young as we know is good but beatable. It s early. The process will play out! Buckle up ! Gonna get interesting . Many more twists and turns to come in this story! Let s Go! We are………
CB

Oct 31, 2021
One thing I can guarantee you it won’t be an easy NC. I don t take much from Iowa s match not do I over react to our Nov performances. Willie just sparking debate and interest which is good. Do u really thing Willy s written off Beau? No way imo. Cass did get pinned . I like our guy at 285. 157 Young as we know is good but beatable. It s early. The process will play out! Buckle up ! Gonna get interesting . Many more twists and turns to come in this story! Let s Go! We are………
CB
Typo nor do I over react ….

Antaeus

Oct 12, 2021
Love Beau but he’s very small for 149. Honestly looking at his height he’s a 33 or 41 pounder max. Great attitude though.
Frank Molinaro is a nationally recognized American wrestler and coach. He was the 2012 NCAA Champion with an undefeated season record of 33–0 at 149 pounds, helping him become a four-time NCAA Division I All-American. Wikipedia
Born: December 27, 1988 (age 32 years), Barnegat Township, NJ
Height: 5′ 5″

Just sayin.

Oct 31, 2021
CB
And yes I understand Cass s result does nothing to change his end of year projection . Just saying I Haven t changed my outlook on Beau either And 125, 157, 165 we are only going up!

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
CB
I think it will be closer than they were talking on the show this week. (I do enjoy their show) I agree Willie has not written off Beau. Beau is still learning and will only get better. I am curious to their reaction this week with Iowa's performance.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Agree El jefe, Can t take much from that match. But Beau got dropped after a win vs an excellent opponent. Was that lackluster? Surely , Cass s defeat regardless of how it happened counts for something, agree that wasn’t there team but is that our team at 125, 157 and 165? Also Glory Didn t go. Willie s crazy as a Fox - he s got us talking about wrestling and debating - love it . But yes it s just a crystal ball projection . Good thing is we ll see in the end who s bettter: on the mat . As always El Jefe ultimate respect for your opinion Wrestling and otherwise. Yes Young losing not “ unexpected “ but u know they wanted that one and thought he d win . We have work to do yes but so do all teams. All the best. CBV
Let s Go!!!!!!!
I don't interpret that Beau got dropped, even though that's the change from last week. Rather it was a correction -- Willie likely thinks he overshot the original prediction (which was probably based on Bartlett's recent JR world bronze).

My guess is that this is isn't far off today based on current evidence, which is very limited, but in a few months will look like an undershoot.

So far this year Bartlett seems to have some of Zain and Carter in him -- that he has willed himself to wins. I don't see that changing, though hopefully he won't need to quite as often.

Latest posts