Willie and Corby Rofkin show

crockster

Oct 31, 2021
What was lackluster about it, other than Cass getting flipped over (which was really more him taking shortcuts instead of fundamentals from a pinning position)?

Iowa sat their starters at 125, 149, 174, 184, and 197 -- and only the 197 lost.

Monday beat Young but that's not exactly a shock -- they were ranked 6th and 7th going in.

DeSanto and Eierman both won by bonus, and Marinelli beat a returning NQ 12-5.
Willie and Corby weren't impressed with PS lineup and how they performed (which I disagree with). Said they probably couldn't compete for a championship with Iowa. You could say the same about Iowa. Not an impressive lineup or performance. Young was an AA and I dont think wrestled great against a very inconsistent Monday. They need Young to score its at NCAAs. They had 3 starters out of the lineup(injuries). Eirmann NCAA runner up majored a freshmen, nothing great. Glacier shut out 4-0 to a freshman . Marinelli had a decision but not a great match against an unranked kid. Not his best performance. Their big, highly ranked guns with 6 years experience should be doing more than decisioning unranked kids if they are going to win a national championship .Of course Cass got caught to kid he should beat. I'd say they wrestled just okay, not great. My point was it's early yet, and Iowa was not at their best with people filling in. They were much like PS lineup against Army, with some of starters or potential starters out. Though I thought we wrestled well except for 157. They quickly wrote off PS this week because Iowa was so strong and experienced. I would say Iowa didnt show anything special. I think the NC race will be closer than they think . It is not a slam dunk Iowa year.

jack66

Oct 31, 2021
At 157/165 we have Barraclough, Dunbar, Edsell, Facundo, Joe Lee, Matt Lee, and Manville available to wrestle. I suspect we will have a NQ at both weights.

Reactions: LI Lion Bvdstf
Oct 31, 2021
At 157/165 we have Barraclough, Dunbar, Edsell, Facundo, Joe Lee, Matt Lee, and Manville available to wrestle. I suspect we will have a
Willie and Corby weren't impressed with PS lineup and how they performed (which I disagree with). Said they probably couldn't compete for a championship with Iowa. You could say the same about Iowa. Not an impressive lineup or performance. Young was an AA and I dont think wrestled great against a very inconsistent Monday. They need Young to score its at NCAAs. They had 3 starters out of the lineup(injuries). Eirmann NCAA runner up majored a freshmen, nothing great. Glacier shut out 4-0 to a freshman . Marinelli had a decision but not a great match against an unranked kid. Not his best performance. Their big, highly ranked guns with 6 years experience should be doing more than decisioning unranked kids if they are going to win a national championship .Of course Cass got caught to kid he should beat. I'd say they wrestled just okay, not great. My point was it's early yet, and Iowa was not at their best with people filling in. They were much like PS lineup against Army, with some of starters or potential starters out. Though I thought we wrestled well except for 157. They quickly wrote off PS this week because Iowa was so strong and experienced. I would say Iowa didnt show anything special. I think the NC race will be closer than they think . It is not a slam dunk Iowa year.
well said. A lot of unknowns too. So many variables. Seeding and bonus is going to be key imo! Team winning NC will have Lower score. More parity, Ivies back etc. . It s so early ! The crystal ball is just that. Having fun guessing the future! I m gonna sir bk, have faith in our staff and team and enjoy. I ll just say I think it s close. I think we have higher potential for growth than Iowa based on any projections now . The process………..

Reactions: crockster

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
At 157/165 we have Barraclough, Dunbar, Edsell, Facundo, Joe Lee, Matt Lee, and Manville available to wrestle. I suspect we will have a NQ at both weights.
We have no chance to win the tournament imo, if this is the case.
We need something like 25-30 points from ‘25, 49,57,65 as a minimum.

NittanyChris

Oct 12, 2021
I believe 3 things will happen that will greatly increase our chances for a title.
1. Bartlett will do far better at NCAAs than most are expecting.
2. Hildebrandt will finish somewhere from 6-8 and be an AA.
3. Facundo will score for us at NCAAs.

On the flip side, I’m not too optimistic about 157 right now, but that may be irrelevant if the above three happen.

Oct 31, 2021
I believe 3 things will happen that will greatly increase our chances for a title.
1. Bartlett will do far better at NCAAs than most are expecting.
2. Hildebrandt will finish somewhere from 6-8 and be an AA.
3. Facundo will score for us at NCAAs.

On the flip side, I’m not too optimistic about 157 right now, but that may be irrelevant if the above three happen.
Agree! Anyone that wants to give up now . Go ahead. This tourney gonna be different. Several good teams( Ivies r back ) ! Parity! Bonus points! Seeds! All key!

157 long way to go. !!!! We have options . More to this then we know. But I hav faith it ll wk itself all out. TB tough. Joe Lee forgot how to wrestle? No. and Matt?
1-Beau knows “ wrestling” ! Kid is got it!
2- DH imo starts at 4,5. I see him as a real possibility to make semis and maybe finals. I know most think this is crazy . He s a matchup problem for many. Get him rolling w “Penn State s Thomas Gilman” , RBY and Nick! Exposure to their skill sets is exactly what he needs. Plus can add more to his own arsenal . Room for growth - hasn t maxed his attacks , turns etc. Our coaches will have a great overall plan and for each oppt! Watch out. Vito went 133 v Stanford . That may or may not change. Drew s a smart kid ( in the classroom too), mature, dedicated , strong , tough as nails, long and has a hi Wrestling IQ. He fits great into the PSU wrestling culture. Trust me Drew s not sitting on the couch eating bon bons and watching movie reruns. Time will tell. But he could be the game changer.
3- Facundo Will score. Can AA. Many will laugh that s ok. Great technique w World class skill just needs to be exposed to different styles. Takes things in like a sponge. Very athletic . Agree needs more offense but it s coming!
I ll add 4,5 - Kerk !!!!! and 197 being downplayed imo.
So, great exciting season ahead! Let s enjoy the ride! And while we are at it Let s win! In the words of the great Bo Nickal :
“ That s what we do!” Let s focus on our team. Let others worry about us! Pretty sure Cael has a plan. Some very good teams out there. I respect Iowa !
So
Let’s Go!!!!! Bring it on!

seeyajohn

Oct 8, 2021
It's a long season. It's way too early to assess Penn State's probable outcome beyond the fact that the team could win it. Every season brings some surprises and some injuries to all the contending teams. In March we'll have a much better view of our chances! Until then I plan to enjoy the dual season.

P.S. I am going to miss having a mid-season individual tournament. They are much more entertaining than team dual tournaments because the brackets bring about some really good individual match ups that only happen by chance in team dual tournaments (and are sometimes ducked!).