Would you rather…

• Make a run to the Super Regionals & keep Kingston

Votes: 19 50.0%
  • Go 0-2 in regional and fire Kingston

Votes: 19 50.0%

• Total voters

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
SR wouldn’t cut it for me to erase those two embarrassing performances against LSU coupled with the abysmal end to the regular season.
To me, a SR is the Sweet 16 so it’s good. But Omaha should be the expectation, not Super Regionals. Outside of a good start last season, I’ve never felt like we had that expectation under Kingston. We need a change if we are committed to getting this program back to where it used to be.

Reactions: Backyard Archer

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Firing a coach after back-to-back SRs would absolutely handicap us.
I have no control, and zero say over that. This is just a hypothetical. I don't understand why you would want to call me out over this. I want us to win. Period. End of story. Not going to argue hypotheticals with you.

Reactions: Rogue Cock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
I have no control, and zero say over that. This is just a hypothetical. I don't understand why you would want to call me out over this. I want us to win. Period. End of story. Not going to argue hypotheticals with you.
Alright….no problem.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Who cares about making the supers? We were a perennial championship contender. We “made the supers” last year and got our a** mercilessly beat.

I fully suspect we’ll retain Tanner because we are not serious about sports.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Final D1 prediction has us in Chapel Hill with UNC, Coastal and Western Mich.

Baseball America has us in Raleigh with NC ST, High Point and Coastal

Reactions: Sweetwatergolf

Bubba Fett

Joined Oct 6, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
Best shot at winning a regional would be ECU.

I don't think we can take UNC or NCSU.

TeeCock

Jan 21, 2022
To me, a SR is the Sweet 16 so it’s good. But Omaha should be the expectation, not Super Regionals. Outside of a good start last season, I’ve never felt like we had that expectation under Kingston. We need a change if we are committed to getting this program back to where it used to be.
A trip to Omaha wasn't an option. I don't want us to go 0-2 in ncaa.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Can't wrap my mind around anyone wishing for a path that leads us to retain Kingston, though we will never contend with him. We haven't even contended in the SEC under him. Hoping that we succeed just enough to retain a bad coach is such a Gamecock thing.

Backyard Archer

Joined Aug 15, 2017
Jan 18, 2022
We finished 10th in a 14 team league. Would've finished 12th in a 16 team league if Oklahoma and Texas were already in. It should be Omaha or bust for Kingston this year. I never want us to lose so I'll pull for us as long as we're alive but I get where people are coming from who'd rather go 0-2 and move on. It's like trading stock, you don't sit on a loser hoping it'll turn into a winner. You cut your losses and move on.

He's proven he can't compete with the top teams so we're only handicapping ourselves by keeping him after a SR.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
I don't want Kingston another year. I think he should be replaced even with another super regional appearance, but there's no way I can actually pull for Carolina to lose on the diamond.
I think this is how everyone that votes 0-2 feels. I’d be surprised if anyone actually hopes we lose any of the games. But there is a difference in pulling for us to win, and recognizing what might be best longterm. It’s kind of the mentality of rather getting beat convincingly rather than suffer heartbreak by losing a close game.

Obviously the best case would be for Kingston’s team to make a run to Omaha. That would at least be progress. But we’ve seen this show before and it’s usually winning just enough to make us think…we’ll maybe next year. I mean, isn’t this exactly what we saw in the SEC tournament? We did just enough to get our hopes up only to fall apart when it mattered.

I think a good comparison of our program right now would be UGA under Mark Richt. If we make it to a super for 2nd year i a row, many may question a move. But that doesn’t mean it’s always the wrong move. And if coaches want to take their name out of the running because they don’t want to get canned after 7 years without a trip to Omaha…then that’s doing us a favor as far as I’m concerned.

I’d love nothing more than Kingston’s teams to finally click these next couple of weeks and keep it going for many years. Of course that’s been my hope for a while now and there comes a time when you know what you get…we’re probably past that with Kingston. It wasn’t like he was dominant at USF anyway. He’s never really won anything.

A lot of the National guys are already commenting on the future of Kingston. I’ve seen a couple chalking it up to sometimes a good hire just doesn’t work out. I don’t know if he was really a good hire but it certainly isn’t working. Long gone are the days of us being a baseball powerhouse. We’re not top half in our conference on average over the past few years. I don’t think that’s acceptable.

Last edited: