“An L.A. native, his deep ties to UCLA include father Bill working for 15 years under Terry Donahue and brother Danny playing for the Bruins,” L.A. Times reporter Ben Bolch said. “After serving as offensive coordinator for three seasons at Notre Dame and one at Alabama, Rees recently took a job as the Cleveland Browns’ tight ends coach and pass game specialist.”
Following his one season with the Crimson Tide in 2023, the Browns announced Rees to his post last Monday. He claimed his first NFL assistant coaching position after previously working for the San Diego Chargers as an offensive assistant in 2016.
Rees has spent the other eight years of his coaching career in the college ranks. He’s never been a head coach.
UCLA football’s head coaching position became vacant after Chip Kelly accepted the offensive coordinator gig with Ohio State on Friday. Earlier in the day, Boston College tapped Buckeyes offensive coordinator Bill O’Brien as its head coach. Former Eagles coach Jeff Hafley left Chestnut Hill, Mass., to take over as the Green Bay Packers’ defensive coordinator.
Rees played quarterback for the Fighting Irish from 2010-13. He also served as the program’s quarterbacks coach from 2017-19 before adding offensive coordinator responsibilities from 2020-22.
Notre Dame Posts of the Weekend
Former Irish linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah appeared during a commercial in Super Bowl LVIII on Sunday.
Irish running backs coach Deland McCullough seemingly hosted several Notre Dame football players for a Super Bowl LVIII watch party. McCullough coached the Chiefs from 2018-20.
2025 three-star wide receiver Elijah Burress from Wayne (N.J.) DePaul Catholic verbally committed to the Irish on Saturday. He’s the son of former NFL wide receiver and Michigan State product Plaxico Burress.
Notre Dame Quote of the Weekend
“I think it’s the perfect spot for me. The coaching staff, the players there, the place, the scheme — it’s all perfect for me. My family wanted me to make my own decision, and they were confident in me to do that.”
— Burress on his decision to pledge to the Irish on Saturday.
Notre Dame Headlines of the Day
- Notre Dame outlasts Florida State in double overtime thriller
- How Notre Dame coaching staff plans to adjust after Chris O’Leary departure
- Reports: Notre Dame safeties coach Chris O’Leary leaving Irish for Los Angeles Chargers
- What to know about Notre Dame women’s basketball at Florida State
- Freshman Peter Jones working to uphold Notre Dame’s offensive line standard
- How Notre Dame men’s basketball kept fighting, ended losing streak
- Instant observations: Notre Dame snaps losing streak with win over Virginia Tech
- Five thoughts on NFL legacy WR Elijah Burress’ Notre Dame football commitment
- 2025 WR Elijah Burress commits to Notre Dame football
- How Kennedy Urlacher can make his own name at Notre Dame
- What Notre Dame HC Micah Shrewsberry said before Virginia Tech game
- Who Notre Dame freshman RB Kedren Young is already being compared to
- What to know about Notre Dame men’s basketball vs. Virginia Tech
- A crash course on every 2025 recruit Notre Dame football has offered since Jan. 1