“NCAA, power conferences agree to allow schools to pay players”

Blair10

Nov 14, 2021
I’m sure this will all work out fine.

“College” Athletics

😞

The hypocrisy by some university leaders and administrators is just mind-boggling and astounding. The comments by Notre Dame’s President Jenkins sound like something from the 1970s. Jenkins wants Congress to pass legislation which will provide protection for the NCAA from further antitrust lawsuits.

The essence of this topic is about money. Period. Outdated notions from an era long gone is what Jenkins represent. He wants to restore the good old days where universities and coaches hoarded the riches on the backs and efforts of student-athletes. However, that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Midnighter

Sharkies

Nov 1, 2021
The hypocrisy by some university leaders and administrators is just mind-boggling and astounding. The comments by Notre Dame’s President Jenkins sound like something from the 1970s. Jenkins wants Congress to pass legislation which will provide protection for the NCAA from further antitrust lawsuits.

The essence of this topic is about money. Period. Outdated notions from an era long gone is what Jenkins represent. He wants to restore the good old days where universities and coaches hoarded the riches on the backs and efforts of student-athletes. However, that ship has sailed.
Right? He has no problem paying $10m a year for a coach, but the 85 players who make up the actual team, that's a bridge too far?

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone wanna guess who the Big Ten’s highest paid employee was last year?

Jim Delaney, who retired in 2020. He made $5.8mm; or roughly $483,333.00 per month - to do nothing. Know who else despised the idea of paying players? Yup. Same douchebag.

It’s hard to get angry about this knowing how much money has been made by everyone *but* the players. Chickens and roosting and all that. Love it.

pay up unbreakable kimmy schmidt GIF

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Jim Delaney, who retired in 2020. He made $5.8mm; or roughly $483,333.00 per month - to do nothing. Know who else despised the idea of paying players? Yup. Same douchebag.

It’s hard to get angry about this knowing how much money has been made by everyone *but* the players. Chickens and roosting and all that. Love it.

Just kill it already.

• Love

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I’m sure this will all work out fine.

“College” Athletics

😞
More importantly, when the hell do we get our checks?

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
So will there be a salary cap or can a given university spend all it wants?? It'd be crazy if the NFL, which benefits from a free developmental system, has a salary cap while said developmental system will allow bidding wars. Maybe there will be a tiered salary cap system. Division I - "X" dollars. Division II - "Y" dollars. Division III - "Z" dollars. Division IV - for the love of the game (club teams). Universities can decide which division they want to be in.

Tom_PSU

Oct 29, 2021
Now that the NCAA suits and University Administrators are coordinating to clean up this mess, there can be only one outcome. Soon we’ll all be yearning for the good old days when the Bagmen reigned supreme. Just color me dubious.

leinbacker

Oct 13, 2021
So will there be a salary cap or can a given university spend all it wants?? It'd be crazy if the NFL, which benefits from a free developmental system, has a salary cap while said developmental system will allow bidding wars. Maybe there will be a tiered salary cap system. Division I - "X" dollars. Division II - "Y" dollars. Division III - "Z" dollars. Division IV - for the love of the game (club teams). Universities can decide which division they want to be in.

I read it as in $20M for their athletes. So if you have 30 varsity sports, they all get a cut of that pie. If you have 8 varsity sports, each player could get paid more and end up with a recruiting advantage. Toss in equity, would a university be requred to spend half on women sports?

NIL would seem to remain so there is that.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I read it as in $20M for their athletes. So if you have 30 varsity sports, they all get a cut of that pie. If you have 8 varsity sports, each player could get paid more and end up with a recruiting advantage. Toss in equity, would a university be requred to spend half on women sports?

Not clear how the schools will pay the athletes, only that there will be a certain sum that is supposed to behave like a salary cap.

Reactions: step.eng69

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
And will they have to pay the marching bands and cheerleaders?? The schools are using image and likeness if not name (think of the White Out ads). And in a couple cases, like the Blue Sapphire, names are used. Once the barn door is open....

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
And will they have to pay the marching bands and cheerleaders?? The schools are using image and likeness if not name (think of the White Out ads). And in a couple cases, like the Blue Sapphire, names are used. Once the barn door is open....
Schools can say, no, we're not paying you and you can leave, same thing a coach can tell bench ballast.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I doubt that would fly, legally.
Sure it would. Tuba player goes to band director. "My Mom saw me on TV during last week's halftime show. Pay me for use of my NIL." Band director, "the value of your NIL to this university is zero, so that's what we're paying you." Tuba player can accept that, or go through the time, trouble, and expense of finding a lawyer who can demonstrate to the courts that his NIL value is greater than zero (and what he's paying his attorney). Good luck with that.

• Wow
Reactions: step.eng69

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Time for schools to get out of the sports entertainment business. Spin it off into the minor league system for the professionals that it always was and take the non-professional sports back to rec league status. Go back to doing what they were designed to do: produce educated people.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021

Most BIG schools have more varsity sports than the SEC. So I wonder how they balance heat all out.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
College athletes are killing the fatted calf. No one cares about minor league sports. Those who populate minor league rosters are notoriously underpaid. If the university based identity is destroyed, the gravy train will dry up. In any event, how much should a college fencer make?

Reactions: MacNit and BobPSU92

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Didn't really read much of this (pretty much sick of the whole thing), but one thing is, I don't see where this will necessarily prevent cheating, either in recruiting or under the table payments to players, etc. Bottom line is, college sports are dead. Hard to get too excited over them

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018

f21e3ac7-af9b-45fb-8370-79345b075c84_text.gif

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021

JD is a perfect ahole.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
Didn't really read much of this (pretty much sick of the whole thing), but one thing is, I don't see where this will necessarily prevent cheating, either in recruiting or under the table payments to players, etc. Bottom line is, college sports are dead. Hard to get too excited over them
I don't see how this isn't the death knoll for many non revenue generating sports. If payments are capped at 22 million and institution A has 12 sports and institution B has 22....I'm a blue chip football recruit...its a cinch who will pay me more.
This settlement is only significant if it's followed up with tightening up NIL deals and player movements.

Reactions: Nits74 and Bison13

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I don't see how this isn't the death knoll for many non revenue generating sports. If payments are capped at 22 million and institution A has 12 sports and institution B has 22....I'm a blue chip football recruit...its a cinch who will pay me more.
This settlement is only significant if it's followed up with tightening up NIL deals and player movements.I

This settlement is only significant if it's followed up with tightening up NIL deals and player movements.
I think this is going to be the outcome. There is a belief that most of the universities are loaded, but it is just the opposite. There is an enrollment drop coming due to demographics and many are not going to survive independent of this situation. my brother lives in Ohio and his view is that inside the next decade that all their public universities will either be an OSU campus or closed completely. their legislature is funding and incentivizing the destruction of campus buildings to prepare for the downsizing of student populations and avoiding the large deferred maintenance.

when people hear "paying players" they pretty much thing FB and MBB, but not so much the other sports. IF you have to come up with $20M and pay say 1,000 athletes all the same, that is $20k per athlete. do the students then pay tuition, room and board or is that on top?

if this is a salary cap, then they would be policing any side payments for play. money collected from what has been called collectives to pay players would have to go to the schools

NIL would only be the Allstate commercials like true NIL plus what they get for their NIL in video games. TRUE NIL not pay to play

kgilbert78

Oct 25, 2021
I think this is going to be the outcome. There is a belief that most of the universities are loaded, but it is just the opposite. There is an enrollment drop coming due to demographics and many are not going to survive independent of this situation. my brother lives in Ohio and his view is that inside the next decade that all their public universities will either be an OSU campus or closed completely. their legislature is funding and incentivizing the destruction of campus buildings to prepare for the downsizing of student populations and avoiding the large deferred maintenance.

when people hear "paying players" they pretty much thing FB and MBB, but not so much the other sports. IF you have to come up with $20M and pay say 1,000 athletes all the same, that is $20k per athlete. do the students then pay tuition, room and board or is that on top?

if this is a salary cap, then they would be policing any side payments for play. money collected from what has been called collectives to pay players would have to go to the schools

NIL would only be the Allstate commercials like true NIL plus what they get for their NIL in video games. TRUE NIL not pay to play
From the POV of someone who lives in Ohio, I'll note two things--the community college system will continue to thrive as it offers a low(er)-cost education. Many current tOSU students from families living in Columbus started at Columbus State (the local community college). Second, big universities will find other sources of revenue. The big one at tOSU is building lots and lots of dorms and then requiring students to live there for their first two years because ... reasons... (one reason folks are going to community colleges)--as well as focusing on out-of-state students.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Listening to a CFB podcast today and they talked a lot about this settlement and how it mainly gives more money/compensation opportunities to athletes, but that schools/programs get almost nothing in return. Collectives will still be able to operate and offer contracts to athletes in addition to the new money available from schools. All of the headaches with the transfer portal will still exist. They (NCAA) keeps trying to operate in a way that is not 'pay for play', but what they should do is fully embrace it. Make football/basketball players employees, strike a collective bargaining agreement, and start getting some benefits for both parties. One item rarely mentioned in this settlement is that there will no longer be any limits on the number of scholarships a school can provide, but, there will be a roster limit. Of course, all of this can and will continue to be challenged in court until the sport exists as what it truly is, an entertainment business, and not amateur athletics.

BiochemPSU

Oct 30, 2021
Listening to a CFB podcast today and they talked a lot about this settlement and how it mainly gives more money/compensation opportunities to athletes, but that schools/programs get almost nothing in return. Collectives will still be able to operate and offer contracts to athletes in addition to the new money available from schools. All of the headaches with the transfer portal will still exist. They (NCAA) keeps trying to operate in a way that is not 'pay for play', but what they should do is fully embrace it. Make football/basketball players employees, strike a collective bargaining agreement, and start getting some benefits for both parties. One item rarely mentioned in this settlement is that there will no longer be any limits on the number of scholarships a school can provide, but, there will be a roster limit. Of course, all of this can and will continue to be challenged in court until the sport exists as what it truly is, an entertainment business, and not amateur athletics.
I can't wait to see that PR nightmare. The University now admits 100 football players a year. 75 of those guys take student enrollment spots that were previously reserved for 75 non-athletes. That won't cause a stink at an academic institution. Or, even better, because we just took on "several 100" new employees, we raise tuition for the non-athletes to cover the additional athletes/employees who we now have to pay. Yikes.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
I think whoever is going to be managing the professional college sports (primarily FB and MBB) will have to get granted some form of anti-trust immunity by the US Congress. Now if the BIG and SEC joined, broke away and formed strong internal governance they could avoid the anti-trust as they would not have the dominant market share used in the AT suits. But assuming there would be a single governing body for all FB, it would be important for this immunity. If you don't have this you have lawyers just using the anti-trust lawsuits to avoid any type of rules or regulations.

Then you are right - players become employees (and would not really need to be students). they have a union and CBA, as well as then individual contracts. Their ability to transfer at will and play their sport would be severely limited and in some cases may be totally taken away by their contract. There would be a salary cap and roster limit like the NFL, and collectives could participate - i.e. players could only contract with the school under the CBA. Additionally, if a collective tried to pay a player over and above their normal school check it would be counted against the salary cap. This mimics the NFL rules, which work and can be enforced. Collectives could just donate to the school to pay salaries - technically you would not need the collective, and just have people donate directly.

it would be essential for these revenue sport teams to be arms length from the university so that Title IX was not triggered. The myth is that there are dollars everywhere and we could pay large salaries to all athletes equally from the university budget.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
I think whoever is going to be managing the professional college sports (primarily FB and MBB) will have to get granted some form of anti-trust immunity by the US Congress. Now if the BIG and SEC joined, broke away and formed strong internal governance they could avoid the anti-trust as they would not have the dominant market share used in the AT suits. But assuming there would be a single governing body for all FB, it would be important for this immunity. If you don't have this you have lawyers just using the anti-trust lawsuits to avoid any type of rules or regulations.

Then you are right - players become employees (and would not really need to be students). they have a union and CBA, as well as then individual contracts. Their ability to transfer at will and play their sport would be severely limited and in some cases may be totally taken away by their contract. There would be a salary cap and roster limit like the NFL, and collectives could participate - i.e. players could only contract with the school under the CBA. Additionally, if a collective tried to pay a player over and above their normal school check it would be counted against the salary cap. This mimics the NFL rules, which work and can be enforced. Collectives could just donate to the school to pay salaries - technically you would not need the collective, and just have people donate directly.

it would be essential for these revenue sport teams to be arms length from the university so that Title IX was not triggered. The myth is that there are dollars everywhere and we could pay large salaries to all athletes equally from the university budget.
Once there are players unions negotiating CBAs with governing bodies, antitrust immunity automatically attaches and there is no need for Congress to act. The reason that the powers that be want legislation is so that they can continue to restrain trade.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
thanks and I did not know CBA guaranteed that. It appears the narrative in the media is still the need to have anti-trust immunity. Also some kind of split of the revenue sports where players are employees and non-revenue sports. assumption is that the revenue employment model would eliminate any type of Title IX and only the non-revenue sports become Title IX managed. there is no financial way to pay backup womens LAX player the same as CFB QB.