$1 trillion

BoDawg.sixpack

All-Conference
Feb 5, 2010
5,824
3,534
113
I previously considered myself to be a smart guy when I sold my Bitcoin

holdings for a 400% gain. The only problem was it had not breached 1000 dollars at that point. I never, ever ever ever ever thought I'd live to see the day when it was 50 grand plus per unit. Everyone who criticized bitcoin, including Warren Buffet and experienced Forex traders turned out to be dead wrong on this one.
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
Wrong. It's about $800bn because it's estimated that 20% of BTC is lost currently because of stranded wallets and forgotten keys.**

Seriously, not a good comparison. Bitcoin is a store of value right? It's not a company in that it produces nothing and created no profits for shareholders. You should compare it to other stores of value such as precious metals, cash, real estate, and bonds.

Btc/crypto is very small in those world's. So small you would need a microscope to see it.

That said, it's becoming a bigger piece of the pie really fast. It is not a terrible idea to put 3-4% of your net in it. So long as you enter in a decent buy point and understand how to manage it safely.

But be clear, the only value it has is the hope that somebody else will pay you more for it tomorrow. Same as gold for the most part.

Real estate, equities, and bonds have real value that derive from real utility. Plus, there is very little chance governments will outlaw real estate, equities, and bonds.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
Wrong. It's about $800bn because it's estimated that 20% of BTC is lost currently because of stranded wallets and forgotten keys.**

Seriously, not a good comparison. Bitcoin is a store of value right? It's not a company in that it produces nothing and created no profits for shareholders. You should compare it to other stores of value such as precious metals, cash, real estate, and bonds.

Btc/crypto is very small in those world's. So small you would need a microscope to see it.

That said, it's becoming a bigger piece of the pie really fast. It is not a terrible idea to put 3-4% of your net in it. So long as you enter in a decent buy point and understand how to manage it safely.

But be clear, the only value it has is the hope that somebody else will pay you more for it tomorrow. Same as gold for the most part.

Real estate, equities, and bonds have real value that derive from real utility. Plus, there is very little chance governments will outlaw real estate, equities, and bonds.

Nigeria banned btc now there’s a 60% premium for it. With widespread acceptance it’s too big to ban and any regulatory move will only pave the way for further acceptance. It will surpass gold eventually as a store of value.
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
Wrong. It's about $800bn because it's estimated that 20% of BTC is lost currently because of stranded wallets and forgotten keys.**

Seriously, not a good comparison. Bitcoin is a store of value right? It's not a company in that it produces nothing and created no profits for shareholders. You should compare it to other stores of value such as precious metals, cash, real estate, and bonds.

Btc/crypto is very small in those world's. So small you would need a microscope to see it.

That said, it's becoming a bigger piece of the pie really fast. It is not a terrible idea to put 3-4% of your net in it. So long as you enter in a decent buy point and understand how to manage it safely.

But be clear, the only value it has is the hope that somebody else will pay you more for it tomorrow. Same as gold for the most part.

Real estate, equities, and bonds have real value that derive from real utility. Plus, there is very little chance governments will outlaw real estate, equities, and bonds.

You should contact CNBC because they are reporting $1 trillion market cap.
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1362799095199506438?s=21

Market cap is supply x unit price. When I forgot where I buried my gold the market cap of gold didn’t go down.

Also, your estimate of 20% is unreliable and not worth considering. My bitcoin hasn’t moved on-chain in years. So someone conducting chain-analysis might wonder if my bitcoin is “lost”.* The supply of bitcoin on the other hand can be independently audited and verified by anyone in the world at any time.

You’re right: Comparing bitcoin to tech companies isn’t a perfect comparison. Bitcoin isn’t backed by a corporation, doesn’t have a CEO, doesn’t have a marketing department, and doesn’t have any employees. Achieving a $1 trillion market cap in half or a quarter of the time of mega tech companies is even more remarkable when you consider these differences.

You’re also right to compare bitcoin to gold. Bitcoin is eating gold’s monetary and store of value premium. The market cap of gold is more than $11 trillion. At a current bitcoin market cap of $1 trillion, this is extremely bullish for bitcoin.

How do you measure the risk of a bitcoin ban? How does publicly traded companies holding bitcoin impact the likelihood of a ban? The increasing millions of Americans holding bitcoin? Anyone paying attention to the evolution of the space sees a ban becoming less and less likely, not more. And what does a ban look like? The gold ban in the 1930s? That didn’t work, and bitcoin is harder to ban than gold. And however you measure the risk of a ban (and what that even means), there is no such thing as “bad” risk. There is only a bad price for that risk. And the potential return of bitcoin is 10x in 5 years, 100x in 10 years. So again I ask: How do you measure the risk of a a bitcoin ban?

*-I lost all my bitcoin again in another unfortunate boating accident this week. Lesson learned (again). This won’t happen again (again).
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I'm not the crazy all in crypto guy, but I am buy no means bearish. I feel at 4% I am giving it a pretty big allocation. Some of you think this will run forever and need a little counterbalance.

70% equities, 10% Fixed Income, 10 % cash, 6% commodities, 4% BTC. That would be a full position in my book. Considering all the risks.

I wouldn't give gold that much attention unless the chart says so. If I was 10 years younger, I might look at a bigger allocation (10%), but at this point, no way.

If you want to go 30-50-70-90% go for it and good luck. I have already taken my big bets and had the tendies bless me like the rains down in Africa. I'm just fine with a little risk management.
 

idog

Freshman
Aug 17, 2010
602
93
28
Play a game with me?

Nigeria banned btc now there’s a 60% premium for it. With widespread acceptance it’s too big to ban and any regulatory move will only pave the way for further acceptance. It will surpass gold eventually as a store of value.

Let’s pretend Bitcoin is printed(physically) so people can spend it. People then drive away from their “Bitcoin ATM” and can’t spend it anywhere bc it has no intrinsic value so no grocery stores, etc accept it. Does the “value” hold, rise or drop? Substantiate its value in the real world to me. You’re obviously a Bitcoin holder bc you are pumping it in every one of your posts. Helping your “wallet” seems to be overwhelming you around here. Gold has intrinsic value. Bitcoin has nothing behind it. As soon as the lights go out you’ve lost your fortune. How am I wrong and you are right? I’m open to eating crow.
 
Nov 16, 2012
2,481
2
0
I'm not the crazy all in crypto guy, but I am buy no means bearish. I feel at 4% I am giving it a pretty big allocation. Some of you think this will run forever and need a little counterbalance.

70% equities, 10% Fixed Income, 10 % cash, 6% commodities, 4% BTC. That would be a full position in my book. Considering all the risks.

I wouldn't give gold that much attention unless the chart says so. If I was 10 years younger, I might look at a bigger allocation (10%), but at this point, no way.

If you want to go 30-50-70-90% go for it and good luck. I have already taken my big bets and had the tendies bless me like the rains down in Africa. I'm just fine with a little risk management.

With these criminal politicians and mmt how in the world can you not be aggressive in this market? With COVID recovery and endless printing you’re really doing ur family a disservice by being asleep at the wheel for the next year. If you have money sitting on the side ur losing 15% of it. My recommendation to friends and family is 20% cryptocurrency. Once they enter the rabbit hole they go much deeper.
 

missouridawg

Junior
Oct 6, 2009
9,407
309
83

Nicephorus

Redshirt
Sep 3, 2018
150
0
0
With these criminal politicians and mmt how in the world can you not be aggressive in this market? With COVID recovery and endless printing you’re really doing ur family a disservice by being asleep at the wheel for the next year. If you have money sitting on the side ur losing 15% of it. My recommendation to friends and family is 20% cryptocurrency. Once they enter the rabbit hole they go much deeper.

There’s a risk with not having bitcoin exposure, just most people haven’t realized it yet. One should hedge the possibility that bitcoin will exceed the gold mcap at some point in the next few years.

https://twitter.com/rewkang/status/1362900582676135936?s=21
 

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
I understand where you are coming from, but you are only looking at it from a growth perspective. If you had accumulated $100 million in net worth would you worry about growth? Risk Management? Tax mitigation? Charitable giving? Family planning? Would you give 3 ***** what BTC , GME, TSLA, or anything else is doing? Maybe a little, but if you missed out oh well.

Once you get to a certain point, you quit focusing on growth alone and switch to wealth management/preservation. I have several equities that I have decent size positions in that have gone parabolic like BTC recently. I have a few others that are turds and don't move. But by maintaining broad exposure, I manage risk and have no problem cutting turds or holding them if it's the right move.

There's never a risk to not having exposure to to any asset if you are not comfortable with it. The risk would be jumping in on the Fomo at the top.

I present to you the case of Cisco. It was the largest company in the world in March of 2000. It was everything the future would ever want. From it's IPO in 1990 it had grown by 106,000% in 10 years. If you invested $1000 in the IPO and had diamond hands for 10 years, you would have been a millionaire. Microsoft, Apple, Exxon, eat ****. Cisco is King.

View attachment 19527

Now if you kept those diamond hands for the next 21 years, you'd still be down 40%....

View attachment 19528

There's a joke about a young bull that wants to run down the hill. Listen to the old bull, you want to walk down the hill and 17 them all....


Trim sling the way up and keep pulling your stop loss up. Take your winnings and put them somewhere else to rinse and repeat. You will miss some tips, but you won't get pinkeye in the bottoms.
 
Last edited:

Nicephorus

Redshirt
Sep 3, 2018
150
0
0
I understand where you are coming from, but you are only looking at it from a growth perspective. If you had accumulated $100 million in net worth would you worry about growth? Risk Management? Tax mitigation? Charitable giving? Family planning? Would you give 3 ***** what BTC , GME, TSLA, or anything else is doing? Maybe a little, but if you missed out oh well.

Once you get to a certain point, you quit focusing on growth alone and switch to wealth management/preservation. I have several equities that I have decent size positions in that have gone parabolic like BTC recently. I have a few others that are turds and don't move. But by maintaining broad exposure, I manage risk and have no problem cutting turds or holding them if it's the right move.

There's never a risk to not having exposure to to any asset if you are not comfortable with it. The risk would be jumping in on the Fomo at the top.

I present to you the case of Cisco. It was the largest company in the world in March of 2000. It was everything the future would ever want. From it's IPO in 1990 it had grown by 106,000% in 10 years. If you invested $1000 in the IPO and had diamond hands for 10 years, you would have been a millionaire. Microsoft, Apple, Exxon, eat ****. Cisco is King.

View attachment 19527

Now if you kept those diamond hands for the next 21 years, you'd still be down 40%....

View attachment 19528

There's a joke about a young bull that wants to run down the hill. Listen to the old bull, you want to walk down the hill and 17 them all....


Trim sling the way up and keep pulling your stop loss up. Take your winnings and put them somewhere else to rinse and repeat. You will miss some tips, but you won't get pinkeye in the bottoms.

I agree with what you're saying from a risk standpoint. Just would emphasize risk shouldn't be treated as a binary qualification of "risky" and "not risky" but rather a spectrum to determine size of portfolio allocation.

You're spot on about taking profits. One should come up with a plan before stuff starts going parabolic as the euphoria will cloud your judgement. I've personally been shaving a little off everytime something doubles.

You are greatly underestimating the ROI of crypto the last year though by just using BTC ROI as an example. While BTC has been a good investment, it is the baseline ROI for crypto as it is the "safest" investment; basically the equivalent of investing in Apple. Real good for people who want relatively lower risk exposure and don't want to spend time looking into smaller caps. Alternatively, investing in defi altcoins last year was more equivalent to start up investing in traditional finance where "winners" could generate 50x return or greater.
 

idog

Freshman
Aug 17, 2010
602
93
28
Let’s pretend Bitcoin is printed(physically) so people can spend it. People then drive away from their “Bitcoin ATM” and can’t spend it anywhere bc it has no intrinsic value so no grocery stores, etc accept it. Does the “value” hold, rise or drop? Substantiate its value in the real world to me. You’re obviously a Bitcoin holder bc you are pumping it in every one of your posts. Helping your “wallet” seems to be overwhelming you around here. Gold has intrinsic value. Bitcoin has nothing behind it. As soon as the lights go out you’ve lost your fortune. How am I wrong and you are right? I’m open to eating crow.

so...4 days and you haven't thought of a valid explanation yet? i'm waiting to be convinced that the carbon foot print of bitcoin mining (which is the equivalent of the carbon foot print of New Zealand) is worth something.
 

TheStateUofMS

All-Conference
Dec 26, 2009
10,451
2,469
113
Yeah man but it costs too much energy to mine. It'll be banned soon because it's contributing to the climate crisis***
 

horshack.sixpack

All-American
Oct 30, 2012
12,138
9,475
113
What risk? The same "risk" that exist for any asset that might appreciate that I don't buy? I mean there are millions of those. I hope I don't have to quantify them all as risks. There's a ton of FOMO around bitcoin and depending on when you buy/sell the MO is real, but it's not inherently risky that I NOT own it. What am I missing here?
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
His argument is that you are going to risk staying poor and wont have fun doing it.**

Buying BTC now is like buying TSLA now. There is potential for good short and long term gains but there is significant risk that cannot be overstated when buying a speculative asset at its ATH in an 'industry' that barely exists. The odds are just as good if not better that you'll be able to purchase BTC at a significant discount by the end of the year if you want to do so.

Crypto exposure is probably a good thing but no one here with money to invest should be doing it at big expense to their IRA or 401k or, worse, savings or, even worse, doing what some are doing and buying BTC with borrowed funds.

Crypto is a nice, flexible thing to have. It can be liquidated quickly, it can be borrowed against, it can be transferred quickly and often inexpensively, it can be used to hide money if you are so inclined, it may even appreciate greatly, but it may also be worth 20% what it is now by the end of the year - and that last bit is the reason it is irresponsible to go around telling anyone they are making a mistake or missing out bigly or whatever - especially when safer options exist in abundance for those with money to invest who wont be miserable if they arent financially set for life by their mid-50s.
 
Last edited:

Jeffreauxdawg

All-American
Dec 15, 2017
8,891
8,003
113
What risk? The same "risk" that exist for any asset that might appreciate that I don't buy? I mean there are millions of those. I hope I don't have to quantify them all as risks. There's a ton of FOMO around bitcoin and depending on when you buy/sell the MO is real, but it's not inherently risky that I NOT own it. What am I missing here?

Nothing. Its a single position. Here's a stock I own (FVRR in red, BTC in candles) that has blown BTC out of the water over the past year. Should everyone own it? Nope. But I am glad I do. Still, it's just a single position though. It would be silly to allocate big portions of my worth to something that behaves like that.


View attachment 19560
 

kired

All-Conference
Aug 22, 2008
7,133
2,540
113
Forget BTC, jump on GME while you still can. Just lifted back off 🚀🚀🚀

I like the stock
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
What risk? The same "risk" that exist for any asset that might appreciate that I don't buy? I mean there are millions of those. I hope I don't have to quantify them all as risks. There's a ton of FOMO around bitcoin and depending on when you buy/sell the MO is real, but it's not inherently risky that I NOT own it. What am I missing here?

I believe an underlying assumption in your question is that the only reason you would invest in something like bitcoin is to one day sell it for fiat (hopefully for more than you bought it). For many people, bitcoin is a one-way trade. MicroStrategy has already converted $2B+ of fiat into bitcoin since August. They will continue to buy more. When asked about the possibility of them selling one day, the CEO said that they bought it to hold for the next 100 years. By my count, 22 publicly traded companies have put bitcoin on their balance sheet. This isn't merely a speculative bet. According to the CEOs and CFOs doing the buying, this is risk management.
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
Nothing. Its a single position. Here's a stock I own (FVRR in red, BTC in candles) that has blown BTC out of the water over the past year. Should everyone own it? Nope. But I am glad I do. Still, it's just a single position though. It would be silly to allocate big portions of my worth to something that behaves like that.


View attachment 19560

bitcoin is 100x bigger than this company. Do publicly traded companies hold it on their balance sheet?
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
No one knows who is really holding and who is shilling, hell some people dont even know themselves what they intend to do. BTC is one of the most liquid assets ever, if someone needs money now they will sell it, individual or institution, and they will have no trouble doing so. It is absolutely a 'merely speculative bet' at this point. Also, a 100 year hold? What's the end game? Why would I trust anyone with a 100 year game plan for a holding? Are we building a business model or a colony on Mars?
 
May 28, 2020
1,387
0
0
No one knows who is really holding and who is shilling, hell some people dont even know themselves what they intend to do. BTC is one of the most liquid assets ever, if someone needs money now they will sell it, individual or institution, and they will have no trouble doing so. It is absolutely a 'merely speculative bet' at this point. Also, a 100 year hold? What's the end game? Why would I trust anyone with a 100 year game plan for a holding? Are we building a business model or a colony on Mars?

Of course everyone isn't the same. There was an institution that dropped $4 million on bitcoin and then panic sold a month or two later after a single, uninformed article about a possible double-spend. It is a speculative bet to some but not everyone. There are many accredited investors and institutions that describe their bitcoin position as an insurance policy. They would view a 0% bitcoin position as a risk, not just missing a speculative opportunity. That is what is meant by saying there is a risk in not holding bitcoin. You don't have to agree with their assessment, but it isn't controversial to say that many people investing in bitcoin see it as risky not​ to own.
 

JungRebel

Redshirt
Aug 23, 2012
2,606
0
0
I just think it isnt accurate, or at the very least it's a unique usage of the term made for rhetorical impact. What's the *risk* you're running not investing in BTC? Having a more conservative investment strategy? That's not worth the name risk to me, especially if your current strategy will achieve your financial goals. Are you implying that there is a greater than 0% chance that major currencies are going to crash or become essentially worthless and, in that event, BTC will then retain a store of value and its utility? I will at least agree that it is a hedge on inflation or has been so far but, as far as utility goes, it isnt viable currency. You'll still need to convert it to your local currency to use it in most cases. Other crypto might mitigate that but I dont see BTC doing it.

I just think of 'risk' as being an endeavor undertaken that could have bad consequences. What would the consequences be of not being exposed to crypto other than not realizing some gains? Full disclosure, I have alts but no BTC.
 
Last edited:
Maroon and White

Latest

  1. 01 Maroon and White Football Unpacking Mississippi State's offensive unraveling against Alabama
  2. 02 Maroon and White Football "Learning Moments": Mississippi State HC Jeff Lebby speaks on rough outing for QB Kamario Taylor
  3. 03 Maroon and White Football "We let ourselves down": Isaac Smith and Anthony Evans III speak on Mississippi State's defeat to Alabama
  4. 04 Maroon and White Rapid Recap: No. 7 Alabama 56-23 No. 16 Mississippi State
  5. 05 Maroon and White Football Live Updates: Mississippi State vs. Alabama