12-Team Playoff in 2024

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
It’s coming as the Rose Bowl agreed today. Hard to believe that if there was a 12-team playoff this season, Clemson would still be in. Honestly, if things don’t change fairly drastically, their regular season won’t mean much as they had to be very average to lose 2 games with that schedule. Undefeated in the conference with 2 non-conference losses. It’ll make it way harder for them to win a National Title as they’ll be challenged to play really good teams in 3-4 consecutive games. But man, it’s pretty frustrating knowing how much they struggled and underachieved this season and yet they would’ve still made the 12-team playoff.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
It’s coming as the Rose Bowl agreed today. Hard to believe that if there was a 12-team playoff this season, Clemson would still be in. Honestly, if things don’t change fairly drastically, their regular season won’t mean much as they had to be very average to lose 2 games with that schedule. Undefeated in the conference with 2 non-conference losses. It’ll make it way harder for them to win a National Title as they’ll be challenged to play really good teams in 3-4 consecutive games. But man, it’s pretty frustrating knowing how much they struggled and underachieved this season and yet they would’ve still made the 12-team playoff.
Clemson will now be an automatic participant in the playoffs every year, even with two losses. Honestly, I'm sick of all of it, the playoff committee, the ranking system, etc., it's all pretty ridiculous. Strength of schedule no longer matters, and agree, Clemson's regular season will be even more meaningless than it is now. So now we are going to reward the teams that play in the weakest conferences, well that's the American way these days.

Lakemurraycock

Joined Sep 28, 2003
Jan 20, 2022
Good news. This gives us a chance now. We aren't getting in the 4 team playoff with an SEC schedule.
Exactly. I like it. Still incentive to get the first round bye. I also like the playing at home aspect.
"The top four conference champions will get byes into the quarterfinals, while the remaining eight teams will play first-round games at the home stadiums of the higher-seeded teams."

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-col...after-agreement-with-rose-bowl-024756849.html

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Kind of funny to talk about in a year when the powers-that-be are crossing their fingers and hoping they have 4 legitimate CFP participants following championship Saturday.

It used to be that you had to have a really, really good season to go to a bowl game. Then it was expanded to teams that pretty good seasons. Now it's open to anyone who shows a pulse. Now we are expanding the playoffs to teams who just had pretty good seasons.

Patriot321

Jan 29, 2022
Kind of funny to talk about in a year when the powers-that-be are crossing their fingers and hoping they have 4 legitimate CFP participants following championship Saturday.

It used to be that you had to have a really, really good season to go to a bowl game. Then it was expanded to teams that pretty good seasons. Now it's open to anyone who shows a pulse. Now we are expanding the playoffs to teams who just had pretty good seasons.
Yep, pretty good seasons in pretty bad conferences, $$, TV, and the coaches that get bonuses for making the playoffs are running college football.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
And they'll likely win the ACC this year and more years to come.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Clemson will now be an automatic participant in the playoffs every year, even with two losses. Honestly, I'm sick of all of it, the playoff committee, the ranking system, etc., it's all pretty ridiculous. Strength of schedule no longer matters, and agree, Clemson's regular season will be even more meaningless than it is now. So now we are going to reward the teams that play in the weakest conferences, well that's the American way these days.
This is exactly the correct assessment of what this expansion means - bring in the pretenders.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I hate this development, but the unquenchable quest for lucre must be facilitated by any means.

How many years did the 4-team playoff satisfy folks? Not many.

With the creation of the 4-team playoff we were told this solves the problem. It assures that nobody with a legit claim to the title is excluded. Hailed as an achievement for equity in college football. Fast forward 8 years and its "Uhhh, better make that 12 teams." One can only wonder how long the 12-team will satisfy those with financial interests.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Good news. This gives us a chance now. We aren't getting in the 4 team playoff with an SEC schedule.
A Win/win. It's gives us a much better shot to have a chance of entering a playoff and more opportunities to expose Clemson against top teams.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
It satisfied those interested in quality championship combatants for however long it lasted. The 12-game season just became less meaningful; that's all that has happened.

Reactions: Bwellgolf

Anon1667100206

Oct 29, 2022
It’s coming as the Rose Bowl agreed today. Hard to believe that if there was a 12-team playoff this season, Clemson would still be in. Honestly, if things don’t change fairly drastically, their regular season won’t mean much as they had to be very average to lose 2 games with that schedule. Undefeated in the conference with 2 non-conference losses. It’ll make it way harder for them to win a National Title as they’ll be challenged to play really good teams in 3-4 consecutive games. But man, it’s pretty frustrating knowing how much they struggled and underachieved this season and yet they would’ve still made the 12-team p

And they'll likely win the ACC this year and more years to come.
Interesting how a 10-2 record is an underachievement at Clemson, yet 8-4 at some places is an overachievement.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

Rogue Cock

Joined Sep 11, 2000
Jan 22, 2022
How America used to be: If you're not good, work hard to become good.

How America is now: If you're not good, don't try to become good. Just re-define "good".
Been that way for a long time. It used to be special to be invited to a post-season bowl....that ended sometime in the 1970s, if not earlier. This is nothing new.....just a redefining of the old "bowl system."

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Interesting how a 10-2 record is an underachievement at Clemson, yet 8-4 at some places is an overachievement.
Well, it’s really not that hard. It’s called expectations. I see you’re trying to take a shot…but it’s pretty simple actually.

Not to mention, the 10-2 wasn’t that impressive. Close games against mediocre Wake Forest and Syracuse. No real signature win.

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Well, it’s really not that hard. It’s called expectations. I see you’re trying to take a shot…but it’s pretty simple actually.

Not to mention, the 10-2 wasn’t that impressive. Close games against mediocre Wake Forest and Syracuse. No real signature win.
That's their signature wins 🤣

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
This past week will be seen to be a significant week for the South Carolina football program for 2 reasons:

1. Nebraska took Marcus Satterfield off our hands. Yes, Satterfield had good games against UT and clemson. But 2 games do not excuse the other 10. I know we have one Satterfield-lover here whose sentimental heart beats wildly with the thought that Satterfield would run our offense. But, thank goodness the buffoon is gone. I don't care what the excuse is for Satterfield. When it's all said and done, my thoughts will always be thank goodness the buffoon is gone.

Now Beamer can hire a good OC, based on merit, not taking a step back by doing a favor for a friend. Based on his merit-based hires for Defensive Coordinator and Special Teams Coordinator, I am VERY confident he will.

2. The 12-team playoff will be a plus for us. We never have won the SEC. But we have, a couple of times, would have made the playoffs had a 12-team set up been in effect. This will help take our recruiting to a higher level. We could not sell a recruit on coming to SC to compete for a national championship when we have never before won the SEC conference championship. There's just no credibility there. But we can sell them on making the 12-team playoffs to compete for a national championship because we have been good enough to do that in our recent past.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lurker123

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Maybe that will give the pundits more to talk about. I dont know about yall, but I've heard about all i need to hear on their opinions of top 4 teams to last me a month.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Maybe that will give the pundits more to talk about. I dont know about yall, but I've heard about all i need to hear on their opinions of top 4 teams to last me a month.
It’s all ridiculous how they debate cases for each team until it all plays out. People get worked up over the initial rankings, knowing it’s all going to shake up. Drives me nuts to listen to them just stir up the pot.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
It’s all ridiculous how they debate cases for each team until it all plays out. People get worked up over the initial rankings, knowing it’s all going to shake up. Drives me nuts to listen to them just stir up the pot.
Idk if it ever really plays out. It just ends. Every week the polls are wrong. Every week they are adjusted. Then it just stops. It's not like in week 14 they are suddenly right. They would still be adjusting in week 29. Reason being they are based on opinion. I'll take decision made on the field of play every time over decisions made by committee... even tho I know it would make getting in more difficult for us

Reactions: Patriot321

Psycock

Joined Jan 20, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
I think they need to forget everything except the CFP or AP Top 25. Just take the teams that finish in the Top 12. That way they will deserve to be there instead of automatic bids.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022

With the creation of the 4-team playoff we were told this solves the problem. It assures that nobody with a legit claim to the title is excluded. Hailed as an achievement for equity in college football. Fast forward 8 years and its "Uhhh, better make that 12 teams." One can only wonder how long the 12-team will satisfy those with financial interests.
Was never satisfied with a four-team ersatz playoff.

16-team playoff. Held completely outside of the bowl structure. Each conference champion is in (yes, even the MAAC, Sun Belt, etc.). Higher seed hosts until the championship game, which is played at a neutral site. It can be Pasadena every year, it can rotate amongst Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Pasadena, etc, or be put up for bids.

Reactions: Lakemurraycock

Sweetwatergolf

Jan 20, 2022
Was never satisfied with a four-team ersatz playoff.

16-team playoff. Held completely outside of the bowl structure. Each conference champion is in (yes, even the MAAC, Sun Belt, etc.). Higher seed hosts until the championship game, which is played at a neutral site. It can be Pasadena every year, it can rotate amongst Atlanta, Miami, New Orleans, Pasadena, etc, or be put up for bids.
I replied earlier not liking the expansion. I do agree with your statement on all conference champions if it does expand to 12+. Most teams past #8 won't win title anyway. This isn't the March Madness......

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
They had a hard time scraping together 4 legitimate teams this year, so, sure, let's expand it to 12.

Reactions: Uscg1984

8NPJ3

Jul 31, 2021
12 is the right number and South Carolina fans should be thrilled because it gives us a MUCH better chance.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
12 is the right number and South Carolina fans should be thrilled because it gives us a MUCH better chance.
A much better chance at what?

I swear, there are some people out there who would throw a parade if we made a 131-team playoff.

8NPJ3

Jul 31, 2021
A much better chance at what?

I swear, there are some people out there who would throw a parade if we made a 131-team playoff.
At exactly what we are talking about. We are not making a 4 team playoff, so this is the best thing to happen for Carolina. If you don't like the expansion, I guess don't watch it.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Any tournament that requires byes to make it work is not the right number imo.
8- yes
16- yes
12- no

8NPJ3

Jul 31, 2021
Any tournament that requires byes to make it work is not the right number imo.
8- yes
16- yes
12- no
I don't see a problem with it. The only ones I see whining and complaining are the ones who think their precious regular season doesn't matter anymore.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
At exactly what we are talking about. We are not making a 4 team playoff, so this is the best thing to happen for Carolina. If you don't like the expansion, I guess don't watch it.

So the option is to lower the standard and celebrate mediocrity? Goodness, what has America come to.

8NPJ3

Jul 31, 2021
So the option is to lower the standard and celebrate mediocrity? Goodness, what has America come to.
Format works and has proven to work in many leagues. You are just upset that college is going to be similar to the NFL.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Format works and has proven to work in many leagues. You are just upset that college is going to be similar to the NFL.
But the fact remains that there is no playoff format that will satisfy folks. Someone will always be left out. In 2024, we'll just start hearing chirping from teams 13-15. It won't last long before it's expanded, and then tams outside the top 25 will get to celebrate the monumental achievement of making the 30 team playoff.

Latest posts