12-Team Playoff in 2024

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
I don't see a problem with it. The only ones I see whining and complaining are the ones who think their precious regular season doesn't matter anymore.
I dont buy into the reg season being deminished. I do have a problem with league commissioners going along with 12 teams when it is not necessary. Do they not care about anyone other than the conference champ? Take for instance the SEC. It won't be all that surprising to get 3 or more teams in the playoff. Heck Sankey said the ceiling is 6. One of those teams is going to be the loser of the SECCG. They wont get a bye. In fact they enter the tournament at a disadvantage for playing in the CG while the rest of the league's qualifiers rest and the champion gets an extra week off.
Why they wont go to 16 (which adds no additional time) and even the playing field blows the mind. They are basically saying we are not going to allow 4 extra teams because we want to give a few teams a break. Unreal.
I do wonder how long it will be before the leagues start declaring champions and bypassing a CG... but I dont really care how leagues do it. To each their own.

GoCocksFight2021

Jan 18, 2022
This past week will be seen to be a significant week for the South Carolina football program for 2 reasons:

1. Nebraska took Marcus Satterfield off our hands. Yes, Satterfield had good games against UT and clemson. But 2 games do not excuse the other 10. I know we have one Satterfield-lover here whose sentimental heart beats wildly with the thought that Satterfield would run our offense. But, thank goodness the buffoon is gone. I don't care what the excuse is for Satterfield. When it's all said and done, my thoughts will always be thank goodness the buffoon is gone.

Now Beamer can hire a good OC, based on merit, not taking a step back by doing a favor for a friend. Based on his merit-based hires for Defensive Coordinator and Special Teams Coordinator, I am VERY confident he will.

2. The 12-team playoff will be a plus for us. We never have won the SEC. But we have, a couple of times, would have made the playoffs had a 12-team set up been in effect. This will help take our recruiting to a higher level. We could not sell a recruit on coming to SC to compete for a national championship when we have never before won the SEC conference championship. There's just no credibility there. But we can sell them on making the 12-team playoffs to compete for a national championship because we have been good enough to do that in our recent past.

Remember everybody, this is the "buffoon" that argued with me about how bad it would be to hire a tired retread by using Mack Brown as an shining example and claimed I had "no good answer" when my hilarity ensued.

We Need To Keep Our Entire Coaching Staff intact. Yes Even Satterfield. AD Tanner Don't Mess This Up. Lock These In Longterm Contracts. | Page 3 | On3

Yes, the same Mack Brown that admitted that they didn't even think about preparing for Cade Klubnick, EVEN AFTER the Clemson's OC said in a press conference on Monday before the game that Klubnick playing was a possibility.

https://tarheelswire.usatoday.com/2022/12/04/mack-brown-admits-unc-wasnt-prepared-for-cade-klubnik/

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Any tournament that requires byes to make it work is not the right number imo.
8- yes
16- yes
12- no
In theory, having byes for the top 4 teams incentivizes teams to go all-out at the end of the regular season even though they know their playoff spot is already assured. Likewise, having the first four "play-in" games played on campus keeps teams 5-12 working hard to try to earn those home-field advantages.

I say "in theory," because , in their infinite stupidity, they decided to award the first four spots to the four highest ranked conference champions rather than the four best teams. Clemson would have earned a bye this year instead of Ohio State.

Senior Rooster

Feb 7, 2022
12 Team Playoff in 2024????
So is that the qualifying teams from 2023 playing in early 2024,
Or the qualifying Teams from 2024 playing in early 2025.

Cocky_11

Feb 1, 2022
They need to clean up who gets 1st round byes bc if its clemmons then they will be there every year until fsu and miami get back to their roots which might be a while , at least for miami.

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
They need to clean up who gets 1st round byes bc if its clemmons then they will be there every year until fsu and miami get back to their roots which might be a while , at least for miami.
I think FSU took a big step forward this year. They have a lot of momentum, especially in the state. They desperately need to follow it up with more progress next season.

As far as Miami goes, I’m not so sure they ever get back. They had 2 great runs in their history. Outside of that, they really haven’t been much. I don’t know that they are dedicated to getting back, especially facility wise. They haven’t had the same feels since they left the Orange Bowl.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
Format works and has proven to work in many leagues. You are just upset that college is going to be similar to the NFL.
You mean FBS is going to be similar to every other collegiate division.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I replied earlier not liking the expansion. I do agree with your statement on all conference champions if it does expand to 12+. Most teams past #8 won't win title anyway. This isn't the March Madness......
What it does is make FBS more like all other NCAA divisions and the NAIA - have a true playoff. And there are similarities to March Madness, which is fine with me.

Using this year as an example, Sun Belt champ Troy would be thrilled to go "dancing." Assuming they would be the 16th seed, and they somehow miraculously knocked off the Dawgs in Athens, they would deserve to go on the road again the following week to face the winner of the 8/9 game. And so on.

Last edited:

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Might tripling the number of teams be swinging the pendulum too far? I admit I like TCU being in this year. I believe it's good to have some
new blood mixing in with the blue bloods we see repeatably. That adds excitement for me.

But expanding to 12 somewhat diminishes the achievement of being there. I think there is a lesser number of spots (maybe 8?) that would
satisfy who should legitimately be at the party. If your team is left out, then do better next year.

Reactions: Bwellgolf

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
What it does is make FBS more like all other NCAA divisions and the NAIA - have a true playoff. And there are similarities to March Madness, which is fine with me.

Using this year as an example, Sun Belt champ Troy would be thrilled to go "dancing." Assuming they would be the 16th seed, and they somehow miraculously knocked off the Dawgs in Athens, they would deserve to go on the road again the following week to face the winner of the 8/9 game. And so on.
I spent many years playing and coaching in tournaments nearly every weekend. There is something to be said for having that last spot. Maybe you catch the top seed overlooking you. Maybe your confident in your team although you've been dissed. Maybe the ball bounces your way. Maybe the top team has a brain fart. Whatever the case, if as the last seed, you knock off the top, you just went from last to what's often easiest path in just one game. Not a bad place to be. I've known many coaches who have at least considered sandbagging to get that last spot if they couldnt get that first. The thought has crossed my mind. Lol

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I spent many years playing and coaching in tournaments nearly every weekend. There is something to be said for having that last spot. Maybe you catch the top seed overlooking you. Maybe your confident in your team although you've been dissed. Maybe the ball bounces your way. Maybe the top team has a brain fart. Whatever the case, if as the last seed, you knock off the top, you just went from last to what's often easiest path in just one game. Not a bad place to be. I've known many coaches who have at least considered sandbagging to get that last spot if they couldnt get that first. The thought has crossed my mind. Lol
Except that unlike in basketball (where all games are played on a neutral court), in my proposal, the 16th seed would not be hosting any game at all.

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Except that unlike in basketball (where all games are played on a neutral court), in my proposal, the 16th seed would not be hosting any game at all.
I actually meant to reply to a different post, the one above mine. Not sure how I ended up replying to your's. Sorry for the confusion. I do understand your point

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
I actually meant to reply to a different post, the one above mine. Not sure how I ended up replying to your's. Sorry for the confusion. I do understand your point
And I liked your response too. Interesting thinking.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Just wait, the first time we make the playoffs as a #10-12, not one person on here will be waving the flag of displeasure of the expanded playoff system.
I don't understand how anyone could be displeased over anything that clearly is a benefit to the South Carolina football program.

I remember some people being against expanding the number of teams in the NCAA basketball tournament. Today, that tournament is one of the most popular events in all sports.

Reactions: Harvard Gamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Just wait, the first time we make the playoffs as a #10-12, not one person on here will be waving the flag of displeasure of the expanded playoff system.

Well, of course not. Just like I didn't wave the flag of displeasure when we got a bowl last year with 6 wins. But I'm not nearly naive enough to think that getting a bowl means much of anything.

I'll just never get the mindset that says "lower the standard and then celebrate when we meet the lowered standard." But I suppose it's a generational thing.

If someone gets a 50 on a test, the teacher may decide to grade on a curve so they end up with a passing grade, but they're still as dumb with the passing grade as they were with the 50. You can call an F a D or a C all day long, but it doesn't change anything about the knowledge of the subject matter.

Latest posts