14-team playoff to begin 2026

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
Yes, so cut the regular season by a game. The more teams that have a chance to play for a championship the better. I know it’s a money grab but the more teams who can play for a championship the better
Don't they all already?

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Expected to be approved within the next day.

Trophy generation.
Unequal revenue sharing was approved as well. Sounds like SEC/B1G will get 58%, B12/ACC will get 32%. ACC and B12 agreed to the format.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Unequal revenue sharing was approved as well. Sounds like SEC/B1G will get 58%, B12/ACC will get 32%. ACC and B12 agreed to the format.

That in itself is going to further prompt some of the defections and repositioning we've been batting around for months.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Don't they all already?
lol, yeah, that's the most moronic argument I've ever heard. More teams need a shot at the title. That's what the whole freaking season is for. People just repeat it b/c they've heard it without stopping to think what it means.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Conference championship games will go away for sure. With conferences going to single divisions, they don't really make sense anyway.

Means we've got 2 seasons to win an elusive SECCG.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The whole thing is just so dumb beyond comprehension. NEVER in the history of college football has anyone EVER thought or suggested that there were 14 championship-caliber teams at the end of the season. Never. It's never been more than maybe 5 or 6, and that would be the absolute most in rare years. Usually 4, tops. Now it's just presented as "well, of course 14 teams deserve a shot at the title." And people just swallow it hook, line and sinker b/c people are morons and believe what they are told.

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
Playng 4 football games to win a championship after possibly 13 games (at least 12) during the season is laughable for college students
5yrs ago, I would have agreed. Now, with NIL, the TP and the insanity that is college football , I don’t feel badly for those student-athletes at all. They’re now getting paid to play (call it what it is), and they have all the power/leverage. Cry me a river (not directing that sentiment at you Tngamecock).

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
It's never been more than maybe 5 or 6, and that would be the absolute most in rare years. Usually 4, tops. Now it's just presented as "well, of course 14 teams deserve a shot at the title." And people just swallow it hook, line and sinker b/c people are morons and believe what they are told.
I will agree with you on the number of teams (four to seven) that actually have a shot at championship but I do not see how expanding the field to 14 will be an inconvenience to fans watching the games. I think this would make a few more bowls meaningful.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
The whole thing is just so dumb beyond comprehension. NEVER in the history of college football has anyone EVER thought or suggested that there were 14 championship-caliber teams at the end of the season. Never. It's never been more than maybe 5 or 6, and that would be the absolute most in rare years. Usually 4, tops. Now it's just presented as "well, of course 14 teams deserve a shot at the title." And people just swallow it hook, line and sinker b/c people are morons and believe what they are told.
Who cares?? It's more quality football. Same could be said for bball. But it's the most popular postseason in America, college or pro...well, soon to be the #2 most popular postseason.

Reactions: will110

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
That in itself is going to further prompt some of the defections and repositioning we've been batting around for months.
Maybe ND too. In this model ND gets $12M, the same as every other B12 school. SEC/B1G schools get $20M.

If the ACC/B12 are going to survive, they better figure out a way to merge and try to bring ND along with them.

Reactions: KingWard

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Who cares?? It's more quality football. Same could be said for bball. But it's the most popular postseason in America, college or pro...well, soon to be the #2 most popular postseason.
Oh brother, the lame-o "more football" excuse.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I will agree with you on the number of teams (four to seven) that actually have a shot at championship but I do not see how expanding the field to 14 will be an inconvenience to fans watching the games. I think this would make a few more bowls meaningful.
It's just another victim of the overall dumbing down of everything in our society.

We used to value excellence as a society. Now it's derided.

It's just so...stupid. Some team that finished well outside the op 10 last year was just a bowl team. That same team with the same record and finish in a couple years may proudly get to boast about being a playoff team. Even though they will not improved one iota. And they'll probably make a t-shirt for the pansy *ss fans who are too brain dead to realize the team is no better than they were a couple years ago.

They've been trying to feminize football for a while now, and this is just another step in that direction.

I'd be more ok with it if they just came out and said: "This has nothing to do with fairness or equality or giving more teams a shot. It's simply about money and that is all we care about. We don't care about the teams, players or fans. Money is our god."

Last edited:

Harvard Gamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Let's dismiss the "the trophy generation", and the "after the first 4, there are not 10 more teams deserving/qualifying for a championship" arguments. There may be some validity to those arguments, but those sentiments are being completely ignored.
It is blatantly obvious for all to see that this development is to generate more money for all parties involved, and nothing more. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your viewpoint the viewership will increase, and sooner than later the thought will be "Why stop at 14".

Reactions: Uscg1984

Blues man

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Jan 22, 2022
Of course it's an odd number and the planners know it. But they know that 14 is almost 16, so . . .
14 allows the committee to have more of a footprint in the game... gives them more decisions to make drawing up the bracket. 16 would be straight forward and put them closer to irrelevant... can't have that I guess.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Been my argument the whole time. On the face of it, the entire concept is absurd when carried to this extent. We were actually Fine with Four, and the dialogues every year were great fun.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Been my argument the whole time. On the face of it, the entire concept is absurd when carried to this extent. We were actually Fine with Four, and the dialogues every year were great fun.

Yes, and there is no way around the fact that this lunacy of expansion diminishes the importance of the regular season. No longer does 1 loss put you in peril and no longer will 2 losses knock you out of contention most years. Used to be if you be absorbed an early season loss, you were walking a tightrope the rest of the season, knowing you had no margin for error. That added an intensity that simply won't be there any longer. There has always been an urgency to win each and every one of your regular season games, but now that you know at 10-2, you stand a good shot of getting in, that pressure is gone. Shoot, 3 losses may not be disqualifying.

There is just no way around it. When you increase the number of regular season losses a team can absorb and still make the playoffs, the significance of the regular season is diminished.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
Yes, and there is no way around the fact that this lunacy of expansion diminishes the importance of the regular season. No longer does 1 loss put you in peril and no longer will 2 losses knock you out of contention most years. Used to be if you be absorbed an early season loss, you were walking a tightrope the rest of the season, knowing you had no margin for error. That added an intensity that simply won't be there any longer. There has always been an urgency to win each and every one of your regular season games, but now that you know at 10-2, you stand a good shot of getting in, that pressure is gone. Shoot, 3 losses may not be disqualifying.

There is just no way around it. When you increase the number of regular season losses a team can absorb and still make the playoffs, the significance of the regular season is diminished.
Sassy Drama Queen GIF

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
I look at this from a South Carolina perspective, not college football perspective. Recruits want to play for programs that have a "chance" to win the national championship Going to 14 teams gives us a better "chance". That will help us attract recruits. So, I'm all for going to 14.

DaboSits2PeePee

Feb 2, 2023
I look at this from a South Carolina perspective, not college football perspective. Recruits want to play for programs that have a "chance" to win the national championship Going to 14 teams gives us a better "chance". That will help us attract recruits. So, I'm all for going to 14.
Exactly. And by the flawed "diminishing the regular season" theory, no one on this board would have given two craps about any regular season in our history, right? Doesn't seem to be the case.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

It's common sense, which is no longer common enough.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Exactly. And by the flawed "diminishing the regular season" theory, no one on this board would have given two craps about any regular season in our history, right? Doesn't seem to be the case.
For anyone to say that going to 14 diminishes the regular season, do they feel the regular basketball season this year was diminished because there will be a NCAA Tournament? Was I dreaming that I saw a lot of comments on this board about basketball this regular season?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Oh brother.

For one thing, this necessitates us being a top 14-ish team, which has happened in maybe 1% of our seasons ever.

This will NOT help us in recruiting at all. This isn't happening in a vacuum where it only benefits us. It's a move that "benefits" everyone, so we derive no particular recruiting benefit. Actually, it will hurt us in recruiting. There are teams above us in the SEC who were considered playoff favorites (e.g. Bama and UGA). They now become absolute locks to make the playoff. Then you have UT, LSU, and others, who will move up to the "likely to make the playoff" tier. So if you're a recruit, and you can choose between schools who are guaranteed locks to the make playoff or teams who are likely to make the playoffs or teams who have a theoretical shot at making the playoffs at some point, which are you going to pick?

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Oh brother.

For one thing, this necessitates us being a top 14-ish team, which has happened in maybe 1% of our seasons ever.

This will NOT help us in recruiting at all. This isn't happening in a vacuum where it only benefits us. It's a move that "benefits" everyone, so we derive no particular recruiting benefit. Actually, it will hurt us in recruiting. There are teams above us in the SEC who were considered playoff favorites (e.g. Bama and UGA). They now become absolute locks to make the playoff. Then you have UT, LSU, and others, who will move up to the "likely to make the playoff" tier. So if you're a recruit, and you can choose between schools who are guaranteed locks to the make playoff or teams who are likely to make the playoffs or teams who have a theoretical shot at making the playoffs at some point, which are you going to pick?
There was a study done by On3 after the 12-game playoff was established. Their study found we would have made the 12-team playoff 2 times in previous years. So, your disagreement is with On3, not me.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
For anyone to say that going to 14 diminishes the regular season, do they feel the regular basketball season this year was diminished because there will be a NCAA Tournament? Was I dreaming that I saw a lot of comments on this board about basketball this regular season?

Oh my word, this again? Two different sports which have historically had different objectives. The NCAAT has never been about identifying the best team. That has, however, traditionally been college football's objective. The 4-team CFP had a 100% success rate in this regard.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
You should be pulling for a 32 team playoff. That would put South Carolina in a more likely position to make the playoff than 14.

Dumbing down the playoff so USC can back in isn't going to make USC any more attractive to recruits.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Basketball is a game that can be played multiple times a week, sometimes more than two. Every football game is a war, a significant event. I consider it an apples to oranges comparison.

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Guys, we just have to agree to disagree. Why? Because we are powerless to make it happen or not happen. I'm on the side that I'm happy about the change.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
You should be pulling for a 32 team playoff. That would put South Carolina in a more likely position to make the playoff than 14.

Dumbing down the playoff so USC can back in isn't going to make USC any more attractive to recruits.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

Dumbing down the playoffs only makes everyone ahead of us more of a likely playoff participant.

I would say it would need to be like a field of 64 for us to become regular participants.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Basketball is a game that can be played multiple times a week, sometimes more than two. Every football game is a war, a significant event. I consider it an apples to oranges comparison.

More like apples to monkeys.

RUMMENIGGE

Jan 31, 2022
Oh my word, this again? Two different sports which have historically had different objectives. The NCAAT has never been about identifying the best team. That has, however, traditionally been college football's objective. The 4-team CFP had a 100% success rate in this regard.
Well I had some doubt that Texas Christian University actually should have been in the college football playoffs when Georgia destroyed them, but I still watched the game.

Reactions: KingWard