2021-2022 Premier League Thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Well, that was fun. I was rooting for Liverpool but thereā€™s nothing to dislike about Manchester City, worthy champions.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
In case anyone is not aware of the teams to be promoted for next season, I found this:

ā€The two promoted teams so far are Fulham and Bournemouth, who will return after an absence of one and two years in the top flight respectively. Huddersfield Town and Nottingham Forest will determine the third and final promotion place in the Championship final on 29 May.ā€

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
In case anyone is not aware of the teams to be promoted for next season, I found this:

ā€The two promoted teams so far are Fulham and Bournemouth, who will return after an absence of one and two years in the top flight respectively. Huddersfield Town and Nottingham Forest will determine the third and final promotion place in the Championship final on 29 May.ā€

I am totally up for the Championship final on 29 May.

I was touched to see the passion shown by Leeds fans today, and Everton fans on Thursday. Lifeā€™s hard and you gotta find your joys somehow, cherish them when they come.

RIP Glov. Youā€™ll never walk alone.

Reactions: BobPSU92

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
I am totally up for the Championship final on 29 May.

I was touched to see the passion shown by Leeds fans today, and Everton fans on Thursday. Lifeā€™s hard and you gotta find your joys somehow, cherish them when they come.

RIP Glov. Youā€™ll never walk alone.

You are total class. I goof around a lot, but I mean that with sincerity.

Thus Spake Mainer

Oct 13, 2021

A "Town" vs. a "Forest". VERY English sounding. Love it.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
Newcastle finished 11th. No team had ever avoided relegation after starting a season winless through 14 matches. Newcastle not only avoided relegation, they almost finished in the top 10 (had Brighton lost to West Ham). Iā€™m hoping this second half of the season carries over to a full season next time around.

C20F8AF2-26A7-4BB8-8152-DA8FC981F832.jpeg

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021

These grades are stupid. Brentford and Palace with better grades than Newcastle? Newcastle had a (what seemed like) crap roster that had reasonable expectations of relegation heading into the season. Started out so poorly that they won as many matches in their last two as their first 22. But still finished ahead of the two teams mentioned with higher grades. I guess I use a different grading scale.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
These grades are stupid. Brentford and Palace with better grades than Newcastle? Newcastle had a (what seemed like) crap roster that had reasonable expectations of relegation heading into the season. Started out so poorly that they won as many matches in their last two as their first 22. But still finished ahead of the two teams mentioned with higher grades. I guess I use a different grading scale.

I wouldn't call them stupid. But I did expect they'd not be the same grades that everyone else would give the respective teams. (Well, @RyanSnyder probably would agree with the Everton grade.)

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I wouldn't call them stupid. But I did expect they'd not be the same grades that everyone else would give the respective teams. (Well, @RyanSnyder probably would agree with the Everton grade.)

Shoot, a D is more than fair. That's grading on a curve. I mean, I guess since they didn't get relegated it's fair, but I don't know how you don't call that season a failure.

I do want to believe that Lampard can get them back in the top half of the table, but I don't see him taking them back into Europa League or anything like that.

With all that said, this is all on recruitment really. Four straight years of poor recruitment and that's what you get. I'm fascinated to see how this offseason plays out. There's a lot of talk currently that Burnley's James Tarkowski is interested in coming to Everton. They're missing a consistent centreback and he's played something like 33 or more matches in every season at Burnley. Of course, now that I type that, he'll come and tear his ACL next season.

Massive offseason. They're all massive, of course, but this one could shape the club forever. Minimal changes and they'll be right back where they were this year. No way they keep Richarlison either. Calvert-Lewin seems like he's going to go. Just so much to figure out still for them.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Massive offseason. They're all massive, of course, but this one could shape the club forever. Minimal changes and they'll be right back where they were this year. No way they keep Richarlison either. Calvert-Lewin seems like he's going to go. Just so much to figure out still for them.

yeah, they have A LOT to figure out, and then have to have a great offseason. They barely avoided relegation, and without some smart moves are likely to have a tough time avoiding that next season.

MJG-90

Oct 12, 2021
Shoot, a D is more than fair. That's grading on a curve. I mean, I guess since they didn't get relegated it's fair, but I don't know how you don't call that season a failure.

I do want to believe that Lampard can get them back in the top half of the table, but I don't see him taking them back into Europa League or anything like that.

With all that said, this is all on recruitment really. Four straight years of poor recruitment and that's what you get. I'm fascinated to see how this offseason plays out. There's a lot of talk currently that Burnley's James Tarkowski is interested in coming to Everton. They're missing a consistent centreback and he's played something like 33 or more matches in every season at Burnley. Of course, now that I type that, he'll come and tear his ACL next season.

And they have some ā€˜splaining to do. Burnley and Leeds want Evertonā€™s books reviewed. Their claimed Covid losses are triple (or more) those similar sized clubs claimed. Something ainā€™t right there.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
And they have some ā€˜splaining to do. Burnley and Leeds want Evertonā€™s books reviewed. Their claimed Covid losses are triple (or more) those similar sized clubs claimed. Something ainā€™t right there.

Meh, I'm not worried about that. It's European football. Financial Fair Play is way more talk than bite. Gee, kinda sounds like the NCAA nowadays haha.

But yes, they have certainly pushed those rules to the absolute brink, which makes it all the more pathetic.

Reactions: MJG-90

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I really do not understand why they waived off the goal.
Offside. They reviewed it because it would be onside if liverpool intentionally played it back to benzima. They ruled it a deflection and therefore offside.