2021-2022 Premier League Thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
The 'edit' was not necessary unless now Jimmy holds sway.

I will keep posting the same way.

Please let the posts be.
I did nothing to influence the editing. One of the moderators edited it with zero input from me. (My “Thanks for the edit” came after the fact.)

Last edited:
Reactions: TheGlovStillRules

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Watch out. Everton are coming for that Europa Conference League spot now!!!!!

Dele Ali circa 2016-2018 is coming back.

Take That Reaction GIF by Magic Radio

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Also, how was this thread dead on transfer deadline day? Come on now. I expect better.

Maybe I'm the only one who cared since my club is on the verge of relegation.

Reactions: PSJimbo and LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Also, how was this thread dead on transfer deadline day? Come on now. I expect better.

Maybe I'm the only one who cared since my club is on the verge of relegation.

I usually wait until the next day to look over all the transfers. Your club, Everton, was rather active.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I usually wait until the next day to look over all the transfers. Your club, Everton, was rather active.

Yeah, they don't have much of a choice. If they weren't, the supporters will probably riot. They already had a few get togethers in recent weeks at the Everton headquarters. Something called the 27 campaign because it's been 27 years since their last trophy. Fans are not happy. I've followed them less this year than I have over the past decade (work and kids mainly) but it hasn't been going well.

They left Rafa get rid of your Director of Football (who wasn't perfect, but he wasn't the problem). Then they sold Lucas Digne, a top 3-4 player for them, only to let Rafa go five days later. Digne and Rafa didn't get along.

It was a mess over the past 2-3 months. Hoping Lampard can just get them back to mid-table and give the young guys some time.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021

Yeah, they didn't have much of a choice. If they weren't, the supporters probably riot. They already had a few get togethers in recent weeks at the Everton headquarters. Something called the 27 campaign (it's been 27 years since their last trophy). Fans are not happy. I've followed them less this year than I have at any point over the past decade (work and kids, I'm getting old) but it hasn't been going well.

They let Rafa basically get rid of the Director of Football (who wasn't perfect, but he wasn't the main problem). Then they sold Lucas Digne, a top 3-4 player for them, only to let Rafa go five days later. Digne and Rafa didn't get along.

It was a mess over the past 2-3 months. Hoping Lampard can just get them back to mid-table and give the young guys some time.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Two great FA Cup games early in the second half right now. Plymouth Argyle of League One tied 1-1 at Stanford Bridge against Chelsea…and the one I’m watching, Kidderminster of the Conference North (6th tier) leading West Ham 1-0. Kidderminster outplaying them in the first 55 minutes, and could be up more. And interestingly, Robert Plant is a Kidderminster fan and one of the 6k in attendance.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Two great FA Cup games early in the second half right now. Plymouth Argyle of League One tied 1-1 at Stanford Bridge against Chelsea…and the one I’m watching, Kidderminster of the Conference North (6th tier) leading West Ham 1-0. Kidderminster outplaying them in the first 55 minutes, and could be up more. And interestingly, Robert Plant is a Kidderminster fan and one of the 6k in attendance.
Both games headed to an extra 30 minutes at 1-1…West Ham scored in the 91st minute to tie it up.

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
HUGE match for my Toffees today traveling to Newcastle tonight. Please God, show me some signs of life in the premier league.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
HUGE match for my Toffees today traveling to Newcastle tonight. Please God, show me some signs of life in the premier league.
Thanks for the heads up. Burnley-Manchester U at 3pm today on USA. I had no idea.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Thanks for the heads up. Burnley-Manchester U at 3pm today on USA. I had no idea.
Burnley 1-1 Manchester United at 73’. Burnley is playing crisply at the moment, inspired soccer. This is just a snapshot of the larger game, just saying.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Burnley 1-1 Manchester United at 73’. Burnley is playing crisply at the moment, inspired soccer. This is just a snapshot of the larger game, just saying.
Burnley 1-1 Manchester U, full-time. I caught the last half-hour, glad I did, good soccer.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
A lot of mid-week games on TV:

Wednesday (2/9)
2:45 pm EST -- Man C vs. Brentford (Peacock)
2:45 pm EST -- Norwich vs. Crystal Palace (Peacock)
2:45 pm EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Southampton (USA Network)
3:00 pm EST -- Aston Villa vs. Leeds U. (Peacock)

Thursday (2/10)
2:45 pm EST -- Liverpool vs. Leicester City (USA Network)
2:45 pm EST -- Wolverhampton Wanderers vs. Arsenal (Peacock)

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
sounds like a fan that has reached rock bottom. It can only get better from there.

Saturday will tell us a lot. Back-to-back games against clubs who they need to beat to stay away from the bottom three. Away at Newcastle was always going to be hard, for sure, but Leeds can absolutely beat Everton, too. When they go down 1-0 at Goodison, the fans get on them and it just snowballs so often.

I want to get excited, but I have serious concerns right now. Everton are in bad shape in regards to financial fair play and they just now started building their stadium. So, it's only going to get worse the next few years in regards to incomings. They have a ton of players who could leave but they won't get good returns for. I see the next few years being similar to Tottenham when their stadium was being built.

Of course, if they go down while trying to build a stadium, this may be one of the most interesting sports business stories in a long time. 16 of their players make more than 50k a year, 8 or so over 100k. Their youth squads haven't produced much. It would be fascinating and also incredibly scary for supporters.

My wife and I were actually looking into taking the boys over there in August. Her and I have seen Everton play a few times. Now I'm all scared to book flights because I don't want to watch a championship match.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Tottenham 2-1 Southampton at 71’. Son just now scored, nice sequence.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
the second taking advantage of abysmal defense.

abysmal is an apt description of that D. The job of the player defending the guy that centered the ball is to not allow the ball to be centered into the box. Ideally he'd challenge and win the ball, but more commonly you either force the offensive player to pass it off, or you block the attempted centering. (Failed). The job of the defenders in the box is to not allow a centered ball to touch the head or the leg of an attacker (Failed). I can't fault the GK, as after the other two fails by the defense, he was pretty much screwed, and had to hope that the attacker would mishit the header, which didn't happen.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Hoping (and assuming) that Everton stays up…they are like a Newcastle to me where the Premier League isn’t the same without them.

Though I will be rooting against them in the 5th Round FA Cup game against non-league side Boreham Wood. Interesting to see how seriously Everton takes that one with the pressure building in their Premier League games. The last time we saw a non-league side play a 5th Round game was 2017 as Wayne Shaw was eating a pie on the bench.