2021-22 PSU Hockey Thread

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
That was fun tonight!
Nice bounceback in an otherwise tough season. First back-to-back road conference wins since 2019 (? - think I heard that, but did not confirm) and first B1G team to win a B1G quarterfinal as the road team since they switched to the new format.

Listened to the game during a drive to Richmond for a conference - made the drive much more enjoyable! Heard the play-by-play guys mention that the OSU goalie (in his first year on the squad) might not be back next year (assume he's going to the NHL). Ohio State on the bubble for the NCAAs at 15 in the Pairwise (assuming that it is up-to-date... thought they were 15 going into Game 3).

Now comes a tough matchup against the regular season conference champs, Minnesota. Tall task, but at least they have a win against the Gophers this season (0-8 versus the other side of the bracket, Michigan and Notre Dame).

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Feel guys matchup with Minn better than Mich or ND. Glad those two need to battle and one get knocked out.

Feel guys can pull upset if they play like they did last night.

Think would prefer to see ND beat Mich as well if we can beat Minn.

TheGlovStillRules

Oct 14, 2021
Feel guys matchup with Minn better than Mich or ND. Glad those two need to battle and one get knocked out.

Feel guys can pull upset if they play like they did last night.

Think would prefer to see ND beat Mich as well if we can beat Minn.

I prefer to see ND fall flat on its face no matter what sport!

In fact, I prefer to see ND athletes fall flat on their face just getting out of bed!

That 70S Show Reaction GIF by Laff

Reactions: MacNit

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Crap. Minny scores with 2:39 left in the game to take a 3-2 lead.

PSU had numbers in a break, Minny stole the puck and had a quick counter that gave them numbers. PSU's GK blocked a shot but after a flurry Minny on a sweet pass had a wide open net.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU pulls the GK with @ 1:45 left. They've had several good shots, but none that scored. Minny shot at the empty net and missed, so it's icing, with 13.8 sec left. PSU calls TO.

PSU won the face-off, got one shot off, and there's the buzzer.

Final, 3-2, Minny

• Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

pennstater97

Oct 12, 2021
PSU pulls the GK with @ 1:45 left. They've had several good shots, but none that scored. Minny shot at the empty net and missed, so it's icing, with 13.8 sec left. PSU calls TO.

PSU won the face-off, got one shot off, and there's the buzzer.

Final, 3-2, Minny
Strong finish to the season! Definitely some good things to build upon and perhaps get back to the NCAAs next season. Already looking forward to October! 😁

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
Through other teams releasing their schedules, we basically know the entire non-conference schedule for PSU men's ice hockey in 2022-23. It's... not that exciting.

Oct 7: Canisius
Oct 8: Canisius

Oct 13: Mercyhurst
Oct 14: at Mercyhurst

Oct 21: St. Thomas
Oct 22: St. Thomas

Nov 22: Alaska (Fairbanks)
Nov 23: Alaska (Fairbanks)

Dec 30: at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)
Dec 31: Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT)

I kinda like the home/away weekends but none of these teams are any good. It's disappointing we don't have any Hockey East or even ECAC teams on there.

WVilleLion

Oct 13, 2021
Through other teams releasing their schedules, we basically know the entire non-conference schedule for PSU men's ice hockey in 2022-23. It's... not that exciting.

I kinda like the home/away weekends but none of these teams are any good. It's disappointing we don't have any Hockey East or even ECAC teams on there.
Concur. We have not really been very adventurous at playing Hockey East, ECAC, CCHA, or NCHC. We seem to act like AH is only OOC teams available.

Reactions: pennstater97

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021

Concur. We have not really been very adventurous at playing Hockey East, ECAC, CCHA, or NCHC. We seem to act like AH is only OOC teams available.

FIRE. KRAFT. o_O

doctornick

Oct 12, 2021
St. Thomas is FWIW a CCHA team though they're not any good considering they just made the jump to Div 1. I'd love to see some NCHC teams sometime but I'm not holding my breath unless we play in a tournament or special game (like how we got North Dakota last year). But even if we just want to play teams in the east, getting someone from HE or ECAC would enhance the schedule. I mean, is it asking for too much to have one interesting series in non-conference play? Couldn't they have rescheduled Maine since we didn't end up playing last year?

Reactions: WVilleLion

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
St. Thomas is FWIW a CCHA team though they're not any good considering they just made the jump to Div 1. I'd love to see some NCHC teams sometime but I'm not holding my breath unless we play in a tournament or special game (like how we got North Dakota last year). But even if we just want to play teams in the east, getting someone from HE or ECAC would enhance the schedule. I mean, is it asking for too much to have one interesting series in non-conference play? Couldn't they have rescheduled Maine since we didn't end up playing last year?
St Thomas is probably a parting gift from Ms. Excellence to Phil Esten.