2021-22 PSU MBB Thread

aferrelli

Oct 6, 2021
This team is going to be OK this year. I like how everything is developing; except for Seth Lundy. Seth is a very good player but when his shot is not happening, he needs to trust the other teammates and then needs to slowly pace himself back into the game. Seth forces too many 3 point shots. Seth also gets too emotional, and down with his attitude, when his game is off. Seth needs to mellow and to play under control within a team framework. Hopefully, this is where Shrewsberry can be of most value; getting Lundy to play within himself.

Reactions: Got GSPs

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
This team is going to be OK this year. I like how everything is developing; except for Seth Lundy. Seth is a very good player but when his shot is not happening, he needs to trust the other teammates and then needs to slowly pace himself back into the game. Seth forces too many 3 point shots. Seth also gets too emotional, and down with his attitude, when his game is off. Seth needs to mellow and to play under control within a team framework. Hopefully, this is where Shrewsberry can be of most value; getting Lundy to play within himself.
I don't think Seth is a good player. He's a good perimeter shooter but we need out big guys strong at the rim. Lundy plays out of control a lot and he's a weak defender. He does a horrible job blocking out and opponents often beat him on back door cuts.

Sessoms is a good player. Pickett is a good perimeter shooter but he's weak at PG when pressured. Cornwall is a good shooter but he doesn't have a P5 body. Harrar is a good player but not a big time scorer. Dallion Johnson is an intriguing prospect but he has to get stronger.

Reactions: strawdog

aferrelli

Oct 6, 2021
I don't think Seth is a good player. He's a good perimeter shooter but we need out big guys strong at the rim. Lundy plays out of control a lot and he's a weak defender. He does a horrible job blocking out and opponents often beat him on back door cuts.

Sessoms is a good player. Pickett is a good perimeter shooter but he's weak at PG when pressured. Cornwall is a good shooter but he doesn't have a P5 body. Harrar is a good player but not a big time scorer. Dallion Johnson is an intriguing prospect but he has to get stronger.
Well, I think it’s a stretch when you say that Seth is not a good player, because he is a good player. He’s averaging 15.3 points per game and is tied for the team lead with S. Sessoms. Seth is also one of our best FT shooters. Seth will get better in my opinion; I’m just not happy with his play right now, because he seems to be making some of the same mistakes that he made last year. It’s a long season and I see S. Lundy averaging 17-18 points per game by the end of the season. Hopefully, Seth gets better quickly; he’s a main cog in the team’s play.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Well, I think it’s a stretch when you say that Seth is not a good player, because he is a good player. He’s averaging 15.3 points per game and is tied for the team lead with S. Sessoms. Seth is also one of our best FT shooters. Seth will get better in my opinion; I’m just not happy with his play right now, because he seems to be making some of the same mistakes that he made last year. It’s a long season and I see S. Lundy averaging 17-18 points per game by the end of the season. Hopefully, Seth gets better quickly; he’s a main cog in the team’s play.
He's a poor defender and he makes bad decisions. I agree he's a good perimeter shooter and scores in double digits but there's more to the game than that.

aferrelli

Oct 6, 2021
He's a poor defender and he makes bad decisions. I agree he's a good perimeter shooter and scores in double digits but there's more to the game than that.
Seth is similar to all other players on the team; they all have strengths and weaknesses. Seth needs to play within himself, and under control. Seth is a poor defender at times, this is one of his weaknesses. Seth also needs to improve his ball handling skills and to play within his game. Hopefully, Seth will come around. I’d like to see Seth drive and dish the ball more, he’s too reliant on his three point game.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
We won a basketball game yesterday. Getting lost in all the noise is that our men’s basketball team responded to their overtime loss to LSU with a convincing win over a bad Oregon State team team yesterday. We lead by 20 points at one point and coasted to an easy victory with Lundy leading the way.
That impresses me as does the calm demeanor of our coach.

EddyS

Oct 25, 2021
We shot 40% from 3, even though Lundy once again did not shot 3s well at 1 for 6, while OSU couldn’t find the ocean.
As noted Dallion Johnson with a really nice line.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Another good test for us on Wednesday night against Miami in the ACC Challenge. We should be a 4.5-5 point favorite in that one.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Glad to hear the younger player growing. How about Dorsey?
He's basically the 9th guy in a 7.5 man rotation, with 2 more guys on their way back soon. I'll be surprised if Dorsey plays any meaningful minutes for us the rest of this season.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
Anyone know whether the mens basketball game tomorrow night against Delaware State is still on?

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Up to 67th in the country in Pomeroy (started the year 66th)…Ken now projects us to go 9-11 in the B1G and avoid a Wednesday game.

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021
Just a couple of MBB observations

1) PSU's talent level isn't quite up to what it needs to be to compete regularly in the Big Ten just yet, but the effort has been consistently strong in the games that I have seen.

2) This team is well-coached. The coaching + effort are welcome sights and allow this team a good chance to reach its potential. That potential may not be enough to make the postseason this year, but it is fun to see a team come together as the season progresses.

3) The crowd and gameday atmosphere at the BJC look to be much improved from previous years. I would be curious to hear from folks who have attended games at the BJC this year as to whether there are more fans in the stands, better student support, better seating arrangements so that more folks are sitting near the court, more enthusiasm on campus, etc. The difference on TV has been noticeable to me.

Overall, this has been the most fun Penn State basketball team I have seen in a long time. It has been a pleasure to watch this program develop under coach Shrews.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
1) PSU's talent level isn't quite up to what it needs to be to compete regularly in the Big Ten just yet, but the effort has been consistently strong in the games that I have seen.

2) This team is well-coached. The coaching + effort are welcome sights and allow this team a good chance to reach its potential. That potential may not be enough to make the postseason this year, but it is fun to see a team come together as the season progresses.

3) The crowd and gameday atmosphere at the BJC look to be much improved from previous years. I would be curious to hear from folks who have attended games at the BJC this year as to whether there are more fans in the stands, better student support, better seating arrangements so that more folks are sitting near the court, more enthusiasm on campus, etc. The difference on TV has been noticeable to me.

Overall, this has been the most fun Penn State basketball team I have seen in a long time. It has been a pleasure to watch this program develop under coach Shrews.
Good observations. For the life of me I don’t understand why they don’t switch the seating around so that the student section is on camera. It wasn’t until late in the game that the students, cheerleaders, and the Lion were on TV.

Got GSPs

Oct 7, 2021
The crowd and gameday atmosphere at the BJC look to be much improved from previous years. I would be curious to hear from folks who have attended games at the BJC this year as to whether there are more fans in the stands
I went to the Purdue game and the energy was great. The upper level was curtained off, but honestly I’m now Accepting this as appropriate for the program we are and the facility we have.

Latest posts