2022-23 PSU WBB Thread

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Guesstimate: about $5mm p.a. Her contract with USCe averages something over $3mm

Franklin needs to make this happen. He‘s been known to throw his weight around to get money for football. Now he can make it happen for women’s basketball.

Mrdibbs

Oct 12, 2021
Give the Lady Lions credit…..winning yesterday and giving UMIch all they could handle today before falling 63-61. 👍
I agree ILLINOISLION.

The ladies played hard and gave maximum effort. Michigan had more size and they eventually got worn down inside.

Marisa was a warrior. Kapinus (hope I got the name close to correct) played better than i thought she could and kept the game very competitive.

Michigan stretched their lead to 6 midway thru the 4th quarter and frustration started to set in. Give the players and coaches credit for battling back to have a shot to tie/win at the end.

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

Tirefish

Oct 25, 2021
Give the Lady Lions credit…..winning yesterday and giving UMIch all they could handle today before falling 63-61. 👍

I agree ILLINOISLION.

The ladies played hard and gave maximum effort. Michigan had more size and they eventually got worn down inside.

Marisa was a warrior. Kapinus (hope I got the name close to correct) played better than i thought she could and kept the game very competitive.

Michigan stretched their lead to 6 midway thru the 4th quarter and frustration started to set in. Give the players and coaches credit for battling back to have a shot to tie/win at the end.
Agree about the valiant effort and about the inside troubles. Also, late in the 4th period was a very bad time to miss 9 of 10 shots. Question: is Marissa done or does she have a covid year option? She's listed as a senior, but I didn't see her in the senior night photos.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Nice Effort today but ....

Before the season Coach K said "
We've been making huge strides as a program these last three years. We believe this is the year we're going to make a big turnaround.
As hard as it is to be patient during a rebuild, we know all the adversity we've been through the last three seasons will be a catalyst for our success this year.
The foundation is laid, the standard is set, the culture has been driven by our leaders. We have had a fantastic off-season in the gym and in the weight room. We know we're ready."

Last year Penn State won 5 Conference games. This year they won 4. Her teams are 16-57 (.219) in Conference during her 4 years.
So, Coach K, where is the big turnaround?
We're waiting.

giphy.gif

Reactions: TheBigUglies

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Nice Effort today but ....

Before the season Coach K said "
We've been making huge strides as a program these last three years. We believe this is the year we're going to make a big turnaround.
As hard as it is to be patient during a rebuild, we know all the adversity we've been through the last three seasons will be a catalyst for our success this year.
The foundation is laid, the standard is set, the culture has been driven by our leaders. We have had a fantastic off-season in the gym and in the weight room. We know we're ready."

Last year Penn State won 5 Conference games. This year they won 4. Her teams are 16-57 (.219) in Conference during her 4 years.
So, Coach K, where is the big turnaround?
We're waiting.

View attachment 314835

Aside from Kapinus and Ciezki, has Coach K brought in any other HS recruits? Two recruits in four years? Pathetic.

Reactions: fairgambit

Evan Ceg

Nov 1, 2021
Aside from Kapinus and Ciezki, has Coach K brought in any other HS recruits? Two recruits in four years? Pathetic.
Of course there's been more than two high school recruits. The problem is that most of them couldn't get off the bench and/or transferred out. There are no recruits in the class of 2023 so far, except for transfer Moriah Murray (Dunmore, PA), who committed to Drexel a year ago but never suited up in the fall for the Dragons. She'll have four years of eligibility starting this coming fall. There is one HS prospect (Top 100) who verballed recently for the class of '24.

But your larger point is accurate, recruiting under Kieger has been a disappointment. Reliance on transfers to fill the gaps. And I imagine it's hard to get prospects excited about the Kieger tenure at this point.

PSU12046

Oct 18, 2021
Not sure of the message here, with the 10 seed beating the 14 seed. Are you saying lying we should have kept her, or how did we keep her 13 years?
Sorry, not sure if we keep her or not but, she took her team to a win in the first round of the BTT.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Hiring Dawn Staley at PSU would be worth every penny they could pay her!! However, I doubt she would come here.
She's almost certainly not coming to PSU until they improve the dorms. While she may be the best coach in women's basketball, hiring her at the salary she'd command would put the women's basketball program in a much deeper financial hole than it is now.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
She's almost certainly not coming to PSU until they improve the dorms. While she may be the best coach in women's basketball, hiring her at the salary she'd command would put the women's basketball program in a much deeper financial hole than it is now.

Sounds like a Sandy sort of hire. If only she were still at PSU.

😞

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I saw some tweets from the coaches last night about somebody joining the Pride. I guess this is what they were celebrating. I believe she's a transfer from Drexel, who is completing her freshman year at Drexel. She started the season really hot for them, scoring a good bit, then got injured, and wasn't quite as productive after her return. She's a 6'2" forward, from Moosic, PA, and made the Colonial Athletic Association all-freshman team.

Last edited:

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
I saw some tweets from the coaches last night about somebody joining the Pride. I guess this is what they were celebrating. I believe she's a transfer from Drexel, who is completing her freshman year at Drexel. She started the season really hot for them, scoring a good bit, then got injured, and wasn't quite as productive after her return. She's a 6'2" forward, from Moosic, PA, and made the Colonial Athletic Association all-freshman team.

She was also teammates with transfer Moriah Murray in AAU and for a short time at Drexel. Look for great things next season. Murray has a bit of Caitlyn Clark in her game and Lavelle can play all positions as well. Be on the lookout for another transfer as well.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
She was also teammates with transfer Moriah Murray in AAU and for a short time at Drexel. Look for great things next season. Murray has a bit of Caitlyn Clark in her game and Lavelle can play all positions as well. Be on the lookout for another transfer as well.

good stuff. When I saw she played at Drexel, and also was from Moosic, I wondered what her relationship was with Moriah Murray.

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
good stuff. When I saw she played at Drexel, and also was from Moosic, I wondered what her relationship was with Moriah Murray.
Another AAU teammate in 6' 4" Ciera Toomey is ranked 4th in the country by ESPN and is heading to play at UNC this fall. She was recruited by all the heavy hitters. My kids played with and against these girls in rec leagues growing up.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Does this team have enough talent now to be competitive in the Big10 next season or are we looking at another bottom dweller?

Latest posts