2022 Portal Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
please use this thread for posts about all wrestlers that enter the portal.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Humm. Seems like any minute now. Appears his minds made up.
Maybe. There are 2 other possibilities:

1. He doesn't want to get pestered by 70+ college coaches. He'll call the ones he wants to talk to.

2. He plans to return to Stanford. The portal is a formality in case Stanford Grad Admissions doesn't let him back in.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Maybe. There are 2 other possibilities:

1. He doesn't want to get pestered by 70+ college coaches. He'll call the ones he wants to talk to.

2. He plans to return to Stanford. The portal is a formality in case Stanford Grad Admissions doesn't let him back in.
Good point, especially No. 1. If I had the athletic ability to be good enough to A. wrestling D1 (or any level for that matter) and B. transfer, I certainly would want control of who I have contact with, especially after the free-for-all recruiting process all these guys went through in high school.

Reactions: headlock

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Woods to Iowa:

ALL about NIL. Come up with the money you can get just about anyone. Bottom line in recruiting and transfers these days. Iowa did the same thing to get Spencer and family. We get RBY back will still beat them.

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
I’d rather get an elite transfer for 157 like David Carr. He’s very close with Carter S and Aaron Brooks. Definitely need an elite wrestler there. Iowa board thinks they hit the jackpot for next season now. Wait till they see how guys decline. Lol

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Iowa needs him more than we do.
Can’t wait, got my Tulsa tickets and hotel reservations, bring it Iowa.

clucas11

Oct 31, 2021
They need a lot more than Real Woods. This is the only way they can hope to try and keep pace but the gap is pretty wide. Funny, as someone mentioned above, the thread over there was crushing Cael and saying he casts aside wrestlers as soon as something better comes along. Wonder how the Henson family is feeling?

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
They need a lot more than Real Woods. This is the only way they can hope to try and keep pace but the gap is pretty wide. Funny, as someone mentioned above, the thread over there was crushing Cael and saying he casts aside wrestlers as soon as something better comes along. Wonder how the Henson family is feeling?
Probably stocking up on salads.

• Haha
Reactions: Hlstone

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

They spent so much time over there convincing themselves that Real Woods was going to PSU and Cael was a despicable pile of trash for recruiting over people with transfers that I doubt him going to Iowa changes anything. In their heads they still probably believe Cael recruited over Beau with Woods. That's how delusional the cesspool is.

Reactions: LB99

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Wyatt Henson (Iowa Hawkeyes) apparently in the portal. Real Woods fallout?

Iowa fans immediately talking s**t on him.

Reactions: Tgar

AK1967

Dec 9, 2021
Humm. Ask Thomas Gilman about the the Brands brothers and get the truth.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
Wyatt Henson (Iowa Hawkeyes) apparently in the portal. Real Woods fallout?

Iowa fans immediately talking s**t on him.

This is a great example of how Cael Tom Brands doesn't care about his guys and throws them in the trash as soon as a better guy comes along. Typical over recruiting taking place at f*n state Iowa.

Did I do it right?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
NCAA fans of all sports can debate all they want about the pros and cons of NIL and the transfer portal, but the Supreme Court ruled 9-0 that the NCAA was violating antitrust law. So now that the dust is flying, we’ll just have to see how it settles. I can be pissed at college athletes for taking advantage of the new and legal rules, or I can congratulate them for doing what’s best for them. But it really doesn’t matter what I think. These are the new and legal rules, and now programs need to figure it out. Cael spoke on it earlier this year. He didn’t sound like he loves it, but he said it’s the new reality, and he and his staff will work to figure it out. But Cael has a unique advantage. He’s built a PROGRAM based on having fun, being grateful, scoring points, and helping to achieve one’s individual goals on the mat. And he’s also got an infrastructure in place to help athletes who then want to win world titles. And there’s M2 and Bo’s MMA gym down the road. So all these things are things that you can’t get elsewhere and will allow Cael to compete as or more effectively than others.

Will it hurt if RBY got $1M to wrestle at Iowa? Of course it would. But if I, as a college student, could have legally used my talents to earn $1M while in school, you’re damn right I would. But might it hurt RBY in the long run by not being a part of the Penn State program? Maybe. Maybe not. That’s the gamble. And that’s the PSU advantage.

It is what it is, so get comfortable with the uncomfortable!

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Buckle up and put on today's emergency Baschamania with Cenzo and Willie.

Among other things:
- Coaches allege that blatant tampering is going on -- rostered athletes are being approached by bagmen before registering in the portal
- Charges may be filed by opposing coaches against Iowa and Michigan
- Cenzo said Woods was contacted by another school's proxy at NCAAs; apparently this happened with several other wrestlers
- Cenzo said another Stanford wrestler has been contacted by other teams; he didn't name Griffith but of course that's who it was
- Willie said Wyoming B12 champ Stephen Buchanan is being poached
- All 3 said PSU did not contact Woods

This is a very incomplete summary. Highly recommend reserving 45 min for today's episode.

donaldfair71

Nov 8, 2021

Among other things:
- Coaches allege that blatant tampering is going on -- rostered athletes are being approached by bagmen before registering in the portal
- Cenzo said Woods was contacted by another school's proxy at NCAAs; apparently this happened with several other wrestlers
- Cenzo said another Stanford wrestler has been contacted by other teams; he didn't name Griffith but of course that's who it was

This is a very incomplete summary. Highly recommend reserving 45 min for today's episode.
Thanks El_Jefe!

Again, I don't know what everyone (I'm not saying you- I am saying many posters who support NIL but don't like the tampering) thought would be the fallout from unfettered free agency. Of course guys were going to get approached by bagmen, by proxies with connections, etc.

This was always going to to happen, and I am not certain that, even brought to light, the NCAA could stop it.

Reactions: WV lion

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

Among other things:

^^ that was a good show.

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
NCAA fans of all sports can debate all they want about the pros and cons of NIL and the transfer portal, but the Supreme Court ruled 9-0 that the NCAA was violating antitrust law. So now that the dust is flying, we’ll just have to see how it settles. I can be pissed at college athletes for taking advantage of the new and legal rules, or I can congratulate them for doing what’s best for them. But it really doesn’t matter what I think. These are the new and legal rules, and now programs need to figure it out. Cael spoke on it earlier this year. He didn’t sound like he loves it, but he said it’s the new reality, and he and his staff will work to figure it out. But Cael has a unique advantage. He’s built a PROGRAM based on having fun, being grateful, scoring points, and helping to achieve one’s individual goals on the mat. And he’s also got an infrastructure in place to help athletes who then want to win world titles. And there’s M2 and Bo’s MMA gym down the road. So all these things are things that you can’t get elsewhere and will allow Cael to compete as or more effectively than others.

Will it hurt if RBY got $1M to wrestle at Iowa? Of course it would. But if I, as a college student, could have legally used my talents to earn $1M while in school, you’re damn right I would. But might it hurt RBY in the long run by not being a part of the Penn State program? Maybe. Maybe not. That’s the gamble. And that’s the PSU advantage.

It is what it is, so get comfortable with the uncomfortable!
Well said! As rules inevitably change, those who adapt succeed. Clinging to the past or damning the future are exercises in futility. Being critical of change is OK as long as it doesn’t impede your commitment to get better. Cael gets it and is built to make the most of the new approaches.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I have an NIL rant.

So I’m seeing a video in the Twittersphere of Willie Saylor on Baschamania with Cenzo stating that NIL is such a mess that wrestling coaches should band together and tell the NCAA they don’t want NIL deals in wrestling. Football and basketball can keep them if they want, he says, but there’s no place for them in wrestling.

Then, Willie, on behalf of InterMat, offers Jon Millner of Appalachian State an NIL deal. It’s positioned as a beautiful gesture from Willie to Jon, apparently because Jon decided to stay at AppState and not transfer, and because Jon is apparently a great guy and wrestler. Willie seemingly wants nothing more than to be loved by all top-tier wrestlers.

I don’t know where to begin. But I’ll try. In my opinion, the top collegiate wrestlers are every bit as, if not more, talented than the best collegiate football and basketball players. And profoundly and severely more under-appreciated for their amazing talents. So now, the Supreme Court says these guys can earn money from their name, image, and likeness (instead of the NCAA exclusively profiting), and Willie says NO? Wait a second, doesn’t Willie make a living off the backs of college and high school wrestlers? How do you think he would react if I told him he should no longer do so, even though he has every right to? (PS - I’m not a lawyer, but I suspect it may also be illegal for the coaches to collude against the wrestlers right to earn.)

And then he makes this gracious offer to Jon Millner. I wonder to myself, how much is he offering Jon to use Jon’s valuable name, image, and likeness? What are the terms of this offer? In other words, is it fair value to both parties? I mean if they’re going to slap John’s NIL all over InterMat, will Jon be compensated fairly? Or is this just a kind and generous gesture from Willie and InterMat, where they’re really not going to use his NIL? If Willie really wanted to help put NIL on a proper path, he’d be 100% transparent about every aspect of the deal, from agreement to execution, so he can prove that these deals aren’t a farce.

And finally, somehow this led me to Cenzo. Back when Cenzo and the rest of the seniors lost the opportunity to compete for an NCAA title and didn’t get a future opportunity, I somehow understood because of the additional mess it would have caused. But I’m thinking, Cenzo is a 2-time champ, not a 3-time champ. Can you imagine how much more value he has as a 3-timer than a 2-timer? And Cenzo isn’t even getting rich off his 2 championships. I’m actually a bit surprised that a lawsuit hasn’t been brought against the NCAA because think of how much Cenzo and others have lost or will lose in wages by the NCAA granting additional eligibility to some athletes but not all. As a coach, is a 3-timer more valuable than a 2-timer? Absolutely. What about guys that lost the chance to be a 1-timer? A 1-timer is a heckuva lot more valuable than none.

I could probably go on with my rant, but I suspect this is plenty long.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.