2022 Portal Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So I’m seeing a video in the Twittersphere of Willie Saylor on Baschamania with Cenzo stating that NIL is such a mess that wrestling coaches should band together and tell the NCAA they don’t want NIL deals in wrestling. Football and basketball can keep them if they want, he says, but there’s no place for them in wrestling.

Then, Willie, on behalf of InterMat, offers Jon Millner of Appalachian State an NIL deal. It’s positioned as a beautiful gesture from Willie to Jon, apparently because Jon decided to stay at AppState and not transfer, and because Jon is apparently a great guy and wrestler. Willie seemingly wants nothing more than to be loved by all top-tier wrestlers.

context is key

ClarkstonMark

Oct 12, 2021
And finally, somehow this led me to Cenzo. Back when Cenzo and the rest of the seniors lost the opportunity to compete for an NCAA title and didn’t get a future opportunity, I somehow understood because of the additional mess it would have caused. But I’m thinking, Cenzo is a 2-time champ, not a 3-time champ. Can you imagine how much more value he has as a 3-timer than a 2-timer? And Cenzo isn’t even getting rich off his 2 championships. I’m actually a bit surprised that a lawsuit hasn’t been brought against the NCAA because think of how much Cenzo and others have lost or will lose in wages by the NCAA granting additional eligibility to some athletes but not all. As a coach, is a 3-timer more valuable than a 2-timer? Absolutely. What about guys that lost the chance to be a 1-timer? A 1-timer is a heckuva lot more valuable than none.
To answer the question you asked .... very little, if anything at all. You really think Cenzo has lost value because he is a 2 timer not a 3 timer?

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
To answer the question you asked .... very little, if anything at all. You really think Cenzo has lost value because he is a 2 timer not a 3 timer?
I didn’t make my opinion clear? Absolutely. And I would bet it could be proven that 3 timers have more and/or better opportunities, more earning potential, and/or more earnings. But I’ll let someone else do it.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
context is key

Tom, what happened to Free (Market) Willie? He’s made it abundantly clear on Twitter that he’s all about small government and less regulation, and here a new, free market exists, but it needs more regulation? Don’t free markets work themselves out? Can’t wait for the context.

Folkstylefan

Oct 13, 2021
Free markets is great if its done with honer and morales, unfortunately you let free markets loose with no structure you get what the country experienced in the golden age of industrialization. Big money people making big money at the cost of lives and the environment. Not that this will get that drastic but will hurt the integrity of the sport. JMO. By the way I am a Republican.

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
Free markets is great if its done with honer and morales, unfortunately you let free markets loose with no structure you get what the country experienced in the golden age of industrialization. Big money people making big money at the cost of lives and the environment. Not that this will get that drastic but will hurt the integrity of the sport. JMO. By the way I am a Republican.
I don’t know whether to decry the free market or embrace it. It’s less than a year into NIL, and the NCAA seemingly has very little ability to regulate it for fear that regulation could be viewed as anti-competitive. And if the courts view them as anti-competitive, they could be putting their whole cushy way of life into jeopardy. So I assume they’ve accepted that their cushy lifestyles will be slightly less cushy rather than wiped out. My guess is that the NCAA hopes it (or someone else) is made aware of egregious violations of NIL deals, which will cause outcry and then the NCAA or a 3rd-party can legally regulate it. I think the question is not if but when the first egregious violation is unearthed. Probably a lot like the evolution of industrialization or any other emerging market!

SonnyAbeFan

Oct 30, 2021
I don’t know whether to decry the free market or embrace it. It’s less than a year into NIL, and the NCAA seemingly has very little ability to regulate it for fear that regulation could be viewed as anti-competitive. And if the courts view them as anti-competitive, they could be putting their whole cushy way of life into jeopardy. So I assume they’ve accepted that their cushy lifestyles will be slightly less cushy rather than wiped out. My guess is that the NCAA hopes it (or someone else) is made aware of egregious violations of NIL deals, which will cause outcry and then the NCAA or a 3rd-party can legally regulate it. I think the question is not if but when the first egregious violation is unearthed. Probably a lot like the evolution of industrialization or any other emerging market!
As I suspected, it likely won’t be the NCAA that will snuff out NIL. I’m sure far from clear, though.

Dec 23, 2021
Everything in life is better when done with honor and integrity. Regulation doesn't do this. You can't regulate ethics.
Can corrupt people abuse free/open markets - yes. Can they manipulate, bribe, influence politicians and regulators in government agencies - yes.
There are an abundance of cases where primarily big companies over the last 100 years have used the government apparatus to stifle competition and capture more of the market. When the government is less involved in picking the winners (either because they have been influenced or they believe the common person is too dumb to make good decisions for themselves) we have mostly better outcomes.
There are two necessities for free markets to work well.
1. Individual responsibility to research, weigh the pro's/con's, apply critical thinking and accept that sometimes you will make wrong decisions that you just have to accept
2. Free and independent speech by both the press and people. Will people lie and tell half-truths - YES. That's why it's important to protect all speech and not censor. The minute you put all your faith in one source and it is the only voice deemed trustworthy, it can be captured/manipulated/influenced by people with power.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Shouldn't be a problem for Starocci or Brooks.

Michigan seems to be all-in on using the portal to build their team.

This past season, Finesilver was the 13 seed at 174. He decisioned Hayden Hastings (Wyoming) in R1, and got majored by Hayden Hidlay in R2 (13-5). In the consolations, he bested Chris Foca (Cornell) in R1 (8-2), and then lost to Peyton Mocco (Mizzou) (2-1). As such, he didn't place at 174.

I guess he's Logan Massa's replacement at 174 for Michigan.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Michigan seems to be all-in on using the portal to build their team.

This past season, Finesilver was the 13 seed at 174. He decisioned Hayden Hastings (Wyoming) in R1, and got majored by Hayden Hidlay in R2 (13-5). In the consolations, he bested Chris Foca (Cornell) in R1 (8-2), and then lost to Peyton Mocco (Mizzou) (2-1). As such, he didn't place at 174.

I guess he's Logan Massa's replacement at 174 for Michigan.
Tough, but yet a downgrade from Massa for sure.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
interesting. I would not have predicted that. Are Teemer and Negron, or their families, friends? Brentwood, NY is not far from Long Beach, NY. Best of luck to Tony.
I don't know if they're friends, but that's not a long shot. If nothing else, Uncle Tony seemingly knows everybody on Long Island. (Actually, he seemingly knows everybody, period.)

The move makes a ton of sense for Negron. He's very likely the 165 starter this year -- the next best guy (Norfleet's brother) had a mediocre year on the Opens circuit. Plus he's probably already the 2nd best 165 in the conference after Griffith, so he has an excellent chance of qualifying for nationals without enduring the B10 meat grinder.

Latest posts