2022 World Cup - USA team thread

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Interestingly, just a little trivia, Claudio Reyna and Gregg Berhalter played in high school together.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The same issue was discussed last cycle in regards to the limited pool US Soccer could choose from. However, US Soccer by many accounts also artificially limited the pool even further on their own criteria. The Klinsmann Experience™ really made a big impact on the philosophy behind hiring the next guy.

We're not getting the world's elite (in fact, almost no national teams do because it's not the pinnacle of the coaching world), but there are more options to look at if US Soccer has a broader approach than they evidently used last time. The journalists who wrote The Athletic article on this, who are obviously connected through their sources, felt that this incident does not help Gregg's chances for re-hire, though it may not be damaging to the point of preventing it either. Personally, I want new ideas and a fresh perspective on player pool evals, but if I had to bet right now I would say US Soccer will retain Berhalter.
At the very least they do need to do their due diligence. Get a list of possible candidates and put out feelers quietly. If that list has a couple of no brainers on it and one is on board to do it....it wouldn't be the end of the my world if it happened. If GB stays, he got out of the group stage and that bar has been raised for him and the team. Although that holds true regardless of the next HC. Thanks for the civil and balanced discussion.

Reactions: CyphaPSU

GreggK

May 25, 2022
Would a new coach need to be American?

You didn't ask me but the new coach should be the best man for the job. Not the brother of someone in charge.

Snide comments aside, I think its important to have someone who has an understanding of how soccer in the united states is structured but also, someone who has also seen organizations abroad. That is a very hard needle to thread.

I have seen the name Juan Carlos Osorio come up. He coached the Mexican national team but also in the US. I don't think having a latin American coach is a great thing as well. But I am sure there are other similar options out there.

Number one on my list is Jesse Marsch. Obviously he is at Leeds right now, but just by nature of being in the EPL, he would most likely be free in a year or two.

Reactions: LionJim

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Not necessarily. It's tricky though if what Davies stated is true about the current locker room and I have no reason to doubt him. These ex players talk all the time on their own and they know the feel of the locker room. McBride and Stewart yielding some power here so it will be interesting to see what occurs. Like I said they need to create a list of decent candidates, do some homework, and see if any fish are biting, but they need to be pretty selective too.

GB did his job on the field and they could keep him or they could thank him and say....we are hiring Coach X who has a bit more pedigree and maybe take the team to a new height. No matter the coach or country you see people question the lineups, call ups, and formations....so the outroar that you see sometimes is more of a chihuahaa barking than a pit bull. It's no different than irrational Franklin haters who will find any quote or single play to freak out over. The next HC will still get questioned on the lineups, call ups for friendlies....etc. That will never go away.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
The actions of Reyna are completely on him. It seems as if it was dealt with internally, as it should have been.

Yes, leaks happen. However, the fact that this was leaked by Berhalter is completely on him. It doesn't matter if he thought it was off the record. He was in the wrong for disclosing any internal team issues to anyone outside of USSoccer this soon after it happened. The fact that he did this at a 'Summit on Moral Leadership' is just hilariously bad.

Given how hard it is to build trust among an international team, which are always dispersed to the four corners of the soccer world, I wonder how the rest of the team feels about Berhalter's actions.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Something to keep in mind, the USMNT job is not as unattractive as it was in 2018/2019. The US will be hosting the next World Cup, just got to the knockout rounds of this World Cup, and has a roster full of young players, playing for various important and/or respectable clubs, who will be heading toward the primes of their careers. The biggest knock I see with the job is a sparse calendar the next few years since we will not being participating in qualifying.

Over all, depending on the timing/availability of course, the US should be able to attract a few more interested managers than was the case in the previous cycle. What still remains to be seen is how interested are Stewart and company in 1) retaining Berhalter or vice-versa, and 2) being open to pursuing foreign managers vis-a-vis American managers. Another aspect here that could be a factor is that we are not obligated to make a hire right now all the way through the next World Cup. US Soccer could conceivably re-sign Berhalter through 2024 (Copa America) and reevaluate the position then, or if Berhalter exits and goes elsewhere now, then they could go the interim manager route (like they did in 2018) until they find a permanent manager in time for the lead up to Copa America. A lot of things can happen, but I still default to I think they will choose to retain Berhalter either for another half cycle or full (despite the fact that I want a fresh start with a coaching staff).

manatree

Oct 6, 2021

....I think its important to have someone who has an understanding of how soccer in the united states is structured but also, someone who has also seen organizations abroad. That is a very hard needle to thread.

I think an understanding of both the current US soccer structure and a knowledge of the structure of other countries would be crucial. I would also add that someone with the ability to convince the US soccer power brokers to make changes is just as important.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The actions of Reyna are completely on him. It seems as if it was dealt with internally, as it should have been.

Yes, leaks happen. However, the fact that this was leaked by Berhalter is completely on him. It doesn't matter if he thought it was off the record. He was in the wrong for disclosing any internal team issues to anyone outside of USSoccer this soon after it happened. The fact that he did this at a 'Summit on Moral Leadership' is just hilariously bad.

Given how hard it is to build trust among an international team, which are always dispersed to the four corners of the soccer world, I wonder how the rest of the team feels about Berhalter's actions.
It seems like the players were onboard with the benching of Reyna, but it getting out could be the issue. I posted a comment above from Charlie Davies and it appears that the team was behind GB. Reyna was in the wrong and the fact they were close to sending him home just reinforces that. He was spoken to by the staff and his teammates on more than one occasion while over there. Why GB thought to bring it up even off the record is odd/stupid, but the more that seems to come out the more it was an immature player acting like a brat. This was the World Cup and this is what people are talking about? He was a distraction to his own team and while it got out....that in itself is the problem. I'm happy the TEAM and the staff called him out on it and it going public may ensure he never pulls this stunt again regardless of the HC.

Last edited:
Reactions: manatree

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
It seems like the players were onboard with the benching of Reyna, but it getting out could be the issue. I posted a comment above from Charlie Davies and it appears that the team was behind GB. Reyna was in the wrong and the fact they were close to sending him home just reinforces that. He was spoken to by the staff and his teammates on more than one occasion while over there. Why GB thought to bring it up even off the record is odd/stupid, but the more that seems to come out the more it was an immature player acting like a brat. This was the World Cup and this is what people are talking about? He was a distraction to his own team and while it got out....that in itself is the problem. I'm happy the TEAM and the staff called him out on it and it going public may ensure he never pulls this stunt again regardless of the HC.

I agree Reyna was a brat and needed to be taken to task.

However, I question the leadership of a coach that would disclose these details off the record with outsiders while at a leadership summit. If I was one of the other players, I would have some serious trust issues with Berhalter.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021

However, I question the leadership of a coach that would disclose these details off the record with outsiders while at a leadership summit. If I was one of the other players, I would have some serious trust issues with Berhalter.
Yeah, it’s not something I personally could ignore.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

It very well may have. Sounds like some on the team were upset with him playing Reyna at all versus the UK for 10 minutes. They may not trust him and if that is the case it will find its way back to the right people. It doesn’t sound like that is the case thus far, but you never know. It may take time or maybe there isn’t a rift.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
It very well may have. Sounds like some on the team were upset with him playing Reyna at all versus the UK for 10 minutes. They may not trust him and if that is the case it will find its way back to the right people. It doesn’t sound like that is the case thus far, but you never know. It may take time or maybe there isn’t a rift.

It would be interesting to know who was upset and who wasn't.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021
I used to like the kid and thought I wanted him on the pitch more for the USMNT. No more. Screw him. He was born with a silver spoon but only wants to eat Michelin meals with it. I don't want to see him in a US kit again. He's 20 not 6.

GreggK

May 25, 2022
I used to like the kid and thought I wanted him on the pitch more for the USMNT. No more. Screw him. He was born with a silver spoon but only wants to eat Michelin meals with it. I don't want to see him in a US kit again. He's 20 not 6.

He was still a teenager just two weeks ago. He apologized, he will grow up.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
He'll be a huge part of the USMNT moving forward. This too shall pass and the message that was sent by the team and staff is a great one. F--k off and you'll go home or be left off the roster. We all hate that this even occorred and got out, but the long term will be a positive as the players will be there regardless of the staff or HC. Most of which are barely older than him and now have to hold up those standards for the next 2-3 WC's.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
The US does not produce a talent to the level of Gio very often. I mean, he may even be the highest raw talent we've ever produced. The kid has been through a lot in his young life and I think this is the right age to learn from all this. We will need him in the years to come and we will need him to stay fit.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I hope nobody is serious about moving on from GR once and for all. I couldn’t tell.

I am wondering: are played-manager conflicts more prevalent and destructive in top-level soccer than in other sports? My gut says yes.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
So #10 GOAT vs. the next generation #10....old man on his way out, 22 year old phenom who has never lost a Cup game. Europe vs. S. America.....just a great final.

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
One of the few on this planet rooting against Messi to lift the cup I see. Boooo.

You Know It Shrug GIF by Take Me Out Australia

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
There’s a lot of pressure involved, but it might seem that the best way of of dealing with your mistakes is to put them in your rear-view pdq.

Remember Georgetown’s Fred Brown, who threw away the ball in the closing seconds of the UNC championship game? Thompson refused to let this become a thing and the next year he won a championship.

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Pulisic is out for at least the next two months with a knee injury. This is really a shame since he just started getting a run of starts under Potter.

As an aside, @Tom McAndrew should we perhaps start a new USMNT thread for 2023 since the WC is obviously over?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Pulisic is out for at least the next two months with a knee injury. This is really a shame since he just started getting a run of starts under Potter.

As an aside, @Tom McAndrew should we perhaps start a new USMNT thread for 2023 since the WC is obviously over?

I already started a new USMNT thread: