2022 World Cup - USA team thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread for all discussions about the USA team at the 2022 World Cup. This should include pre-World Cup discussions, game threads for USA matches, etc.

In the lead-up and qualifying for the World Cup, we had a great thread titled "USMNT 2022 World Cup Qualifying Thread." You can find that thread at:

The USA team will be announced on Nov. 9, so it seemed as though it was time to set up this thread as well as the non-USA teams World Cup thread.

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
If you had told the 2017 version of myself that this news would excite me, I'd have thought you were crazy...

And that's the kit we should be bringing, but I digress.

Even for Berhalter, it's too obvious to miss bringing in a guy who is playing each week against guys we will be facing in our group—alongside our starting left back, nonetheless.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Wright to me is the surprise. Pretty well rounded squad, hopefully they can make some noise. Super young team that will grow up quickly this WC and the next.

Reactions: A2nit

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Not thrilled with Roldan, he does not add anything. Morris is another stretch. Would have preferred Tillman, a MF who can take on players and play forward, trained in Germany.

Attachments

• 786F471B-01D2-44FD-AD1E-A2FCFC2AFA04.jpeg
    786F471B-01D2-44FD-AD1E-A2FCFC2AFA04.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 9

CyphaPSU

Oct 25, 2021
Why Long, he has awful form.
An even bigger problem than him being on the roster is that he's likely Berhalter's starting CB against Wales. Even with unpopular selections there is usually a segment of folks who can understand the manager's choice and defend it, but you see near universal disagreement with Long's inclusion in the starting XI and I think that really says something. Whether it comes down to current form, experience, familiarity with opposition players, or however you slice it up, Tim Ream should be on the pitch rather than Long when we start this tournament.

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
An even bigger problem than him being on the roster is that he's likely Berhalter's starting CB against Wales. Even with unpopular selections there is usually a segment of folks who can understand the manager's choice and defend it, but you see near universal disagreement with Long's inclusion in the starting XI and I think that really says something. Whether it comes down to current form, experience, familiarity with opposition players, or however you slice it up, Tim Ream should be on the pitch rather than Long when we start this tournament.
I'm not so sure Long starts versus Wales. I imagine Ream or CCV will join Zimmerman for that match.

Reactions: A2nit

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
My predicted starting 11 against Wales...

Pulisic---------------Ferreira----------------------Aaronson
----------McKennie---------------------Musah--------------
------------------------Adams-------------------------------
A Robinson----Ream-------Zimmerman--------------Dest
----------------------Turner---------------------------------

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021

Swap Weah for Fererra. That is my choice not sure that occurs. Aaronson has been playing where Gio has been injured so I can see that.

Reactions: LOCOPSU

Woodpecker

Oct 7, 2021

I don't hate it

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021

I think they need Weahs speed on wing to threaten Wales and England, drop Ferreira. Put Aaronson in false 9

Locopsu

Oct 7, 2021
Swap Weah for Fererra. That is my choice not sure that occurs. Aaronson has been playing where Gio has been injured so I can see that.
I love Gio upside, he has yet to finish a USMNT game. They need speed to get behind D, Wales will sit in and try to counter.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
I predict that Weah will get a run, but not until the second half (which could be good against tired legs)…I could definitely see Weah starting instead of Aaronson, but I’d be shocked if he started in place of Ferreira based on what we’ve seen to date.