2023 - 2024 Premier League thread

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
So this is the play that took place in stoppage time of the Man C. - Spurs match that had the Man C. players so riled up, and has received so much discussion in the press and on social media.

One of the commentaries I saw indicated that the only explanation, and the commentator didn't actually believe it, was that the ref (Simon Hooper) didn't see that Haaland's play was to Grealish, as he lost site of Grealish, and thus he awarded the foul.

I think that's a possible explanation, considering where the ref was. Another, which I haven't seen mentioned, is that it appears that Grealish was offsides (it was close), and as such the AR may have communicated to the Hooper that Grealish was offsides, so Hooper then blew for the foul, as there was no advantage when Haaland played to a teammate in an offside position.

I don't buy the last one about Grealish being offsides as you aren't supposed to make that call if it is that close and it was just that close. No way the linesman or the official who was 20-30 yards behind that line could make that all. No matter the excuse it was a bad job of not playing the advantage by the ref, but it was Man City and Jack Grealish so it's all good in the end. If Everton got 10 points for one charge they cooperated with, it will be pretty interesting to see what happens to Saudi Arabia/City with their 100+ charges of breaking the FFP laws.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
Yep. Luton Town 3-4 Arsenal, full time. Winning goal at 90’+7’. All in a day’s work. Arsenal’s third match since last Wednesday.

It shouldn't have even been close though. Some serious luck for LT.

Grant Green

Oct 12, 2021
I don't recall the last time I saw MC dominated like this. 22(7) shots to 2(2) in favor of Villa.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I don't buy the last one about Grealish being offsides as you aren't supposed to make that call if it is that close and it was just that close. No way the linesman or the official who was 20-30 yards behind that line could make that all. No matter the excuse it was a bad job of not playing the advantage by the ref, but it was Man City and Jack Grealish so it's all good in the end. If Everton got 10 points for one charge they cooperated with, it will be pretty interesting to see what happens to Saudi Arabia/City with their 100+ charges of breaking the FFP laws.

- there isn't a rule against not making the offsides call. It's more of if it's really close, you let it play out, signal after the stoppage, and then let VAR check
- it was close in terms of whether or not it was offsides, but it actually would have been a pretty easy call for the AR. At the start of the play, everybody is in the Spurs offensive half. As such, the AR would have been at the midfield line. Grealish and the 2 defenders had just crossed the midfield line at the time of the pass, so the AR would have been in perfect position to determine the call
- the official (center ref) would never call offsides on that type of play on their own. Soccer refs get a lot of practice reffing games with no ARs. However, they also learn to only make that call when it is clearly offside, which it would not have been to the center ref in the play in question

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
- there isn't a rule against not making the offsides call. It's more of if it's really close, you let it play out, signal after the stoppage, and then let VAR check
- it was close in terms of whether or not it was offsides, but it actually would have been a pretty easy call for the AR. At the start of the play, everybody is in the Spurs offensive half. As such, the AR would have been at the midfield line. Grealish and the 2 defenders had just crossed the midfield line at the time of the pass, so the AR would have been in perfect position to determine the call
- the official (center ref) would never call offsides on that type of play on their own. Soccer refs get a lot of practice reffing games with no ARs. However, they also learn to only make that call when it is clearly offside, which it would not have been to the center ref in the play in question
I'm very familiar with the advantage rule as well as the offsides calls. They are supposed to let it play out if it's close and they usually do. I watched the match and understand the rules very well....that was a bad job of not playing the advantage by the referee. I was fine with it because it was City getting jobbed though. ;)

As far as today goes....funny watching him light up the Euro qualifiers and scoring more goals at United than at any other part of his career. Who would have thought he would be outscoring most of the United forwards this year...not me.

Happy Come On GIF by Manchester United

RyanSnyder

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
@RyanSnyder -- is your team waking up?

They've been playing great since October - for Everton standards, at least. I believe it's now 8 wins in the past 12 matches. They would be 10th right now if that damn point deduction didn't happen. I understand why it did, but man, 10 points is a lot.

It felt like they were trying to put out a harsh punishment there because of what's coming down the road with Man City. Everton had one infraction. City has over 100 or something like that.

Now watch City only get a 10 pt deduction or something like that in a year or two haha. They'll still probably still make Champions League.

But yeah, I was just getting home from the state championship games and saw their first two goals. It's been great watching them play at the level they should be playing, which is midtable but hopefully in the top half more years than not.

Obviously, this year is now all about survival, but this club is playing so much better now under Dyche. He's been great. The perfect guy for the job. Only took them like five tries to find the right manager haha.

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
TV scheduled for this weekend (12/9, 12/10):

Saturday
7:30 am EST -- Crystal Palace vs. Liverpool (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Brighton & Hove Albion vs. Burnley (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- Man U. vs. AFC Bournemouth (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Sheffield U. vs. Brentford (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Woverhampton Wanderers vs. Nottingham Forest (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Aston Villa vs. Arsenal (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- Fulham vs. West Ham U. (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- Luton Town vs. Man C. (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- Everton vs. Chelsea (USA Network)
11:30 am EST -- Tottenham Hotspur vs. Newcastle U. (USA Network)

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Tottenham 2, Newcastle 0, 39th minute. Son abused Trippier to set up both goals, one by Udogie, the other by Richarlison.

Reactions: rudedude

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Graeme Le Saux couldn't stop making excuses for Bloodmoney FC today because they have so many injuries.
Boo-hoo man, have you seen Spurs injury list? Wanker.
Spurs injuries have had significant impact, especially Maddison and Van De Ven

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So this is the play that took place in stoppage time of the Man C. - Spurs match that had the Man C. players so riled up, and has received so much discussion in the press and on social media.

One of the commentaries I saw indicated that the only explanation, and the commentator didn't actually believe it, was that the ref (Simon Hooper) didn't see that Haaland's play was to Grealish, as he lost site of Grealish, and thus he awarded the foul.

I think that's a possible explanation, considering where the ref was. Another, which I haven't seen mentioned, is that it appears that Grealish was offsides (it was close), and as such the AR may have communicated to the Hooper that Grealish was offsides, so Hooper then blew for the foul, as there was no advantage when Haaland played to a teammate in an offside position.

An update on this:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
This weekend's TV schedule (12/15, 12/16, 12/17):

Friday
3:00 pm EST -- Nottingham Forest vs. Tottenham Hotspur (USA Network)

Saturday
10:00 am EST -- Man C. vs. Crystal Palace (USA Network)
10:00 am EST -- AFC Bournemouth vs. Luton Town (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Chelsea vs. Sheffield U. (Peacock)
10:00 am EST -- Newcastle U. vs. Fulham (Peacock)
12:30 pm EST -- Burnley vs. Everton (NBC)

Sunday
9:00 am EST -- Arsenal vs. Brighton & Hove Albion (USA Network)
9:00 am EST -- Brentford vs. Aston Villa (Peacock)
9:00 am EST -- West Ham U. vs. Wolverhampton Wanderers (Peacock)
11:30 am EST -- Liverpool vs. Man U. (NBC)

Latest posts