2023 - 2024 Premier League thread

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Luton Town had to postpone their first home match.

I guess that normally this thread would open closer to the opening matches of the season but this should be posted. I’ll try to keep it as up-to-date as practical.

Am I wrong to think that the PL has a short off-season compared to MLB, NFL?

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
PL final day was May 28, first match of the new season is August 12, 75-day break, approximately 2.5 months.

NFL off-season is 6 months, minimum. MLB around 5 months. NBA first game October 18, final game was June 12, approximately 245 days, which gives an off-season of around 4 months.

Glad to get that out of my head.

Reactions: BobPSU92

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I guess that normally this thread would open closer to the opening matches of the season but this should be posted. I’ll try to keep it as up-to-date as practical.

??? The 2023-24 thread started just over a month ago. I've merged your posts into the already existing thread.

rudedude

Oct 6, 2021
Sorry, Tom. The off-season is just so damn long, I simply lost track.
ligue 1 soccer GIF by Toulouse Football Club

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
MLS All-Stars 0-5 Arsenal. I don’t know what this means in whole scheme of things.

Not much. Exhibition match where one side has way more talent. MLS is doing well enough, but they aren't in the same league as anyone in the EPL...never mind a top 2 team.

Not a surprise at all. The salary cap for the MLS is $5.2 million, up from $4.9 million in 2022. Money buys talent and with the payrolls in the EPL, their backups should be more talented than most MLS teams. I'm guessing that the English Championship is a stronger league than the MLS.

What will be interesting to see is how Wrexham, who was just promoted to League Two, three tiers below teh EPL, stacks up during their summer US tour. They were crushed 5-0 yesterday vs Chelsea's 'experimental' lineup. Wrexham plays LAGalaxy II on Saturday, ManU academy on the 25th, and Philly Union II on the 28th. MLS Next Pro, the league that that both LAGalaxy II & Philly Union II play in is the third level in the US. The English 4th tier vs the US 3rd tier. Guessing that Wrexham has a better payroll than some or the rest of their league, but they also have stricter Financial Fair Play rules than they had in the national League.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not a surprise at all. The salary cap for the MLS is $5.2 million, up from $4.9 million in 2022. Money buys talent and with the payrolls in the EPL, their backups should be more talented than most MLS teams. I'm guessing that the English Championship is a stronger league than the MLS.

What will be interesting to see is how Wrexham, who was just promoted to League Two, three tiers below teh EPL, stacks up during their summer US tour. They were crushed 5-0 yesterday vs Chelsea's 'experimental' lineup. Wrexham plays LAGalaxy II on Saturday, ManU academy on the 25th, and Philly Union II on the 28th. MLS Next Pro, the league that that both LAGalaxy II & Philly Union II play in is the third level in the US. The English 4th tier vs the US 3rd tier. Guessing that Wrexham has a better payroll than some or the rest of their league, but they also have stricter Financial Fair Play rules than they had in the national League.
Let’s try to track this, shall we?

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
The ManU academy v Wrexham match is on ESPN2/ESPNDP/ESPN+ at 10:30pm Eastern. The LA II & Philly II matches are not televised.
I'm flying out tomorrow to SD for the Man U v. Wrexham match. I'm hopeful guys like Mainoo and Hannibal who could see some senior time are at least out there.

Reactions: manatree

Alphabets

Oct 12, 2021

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Last edited:

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021
I can’t see it happening. This sounds like Kane’s agent trying to up potential transfer bids by citing Man Utd. It’s been happening for 20+ years.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
The English 4th tier vs the US 3rd tier. Guessing that Wrexham has a better payroll than some or the rest of their league, but they also have stricter Financial Fair Play rules than they had in the national League.

Let’s try to track this, shall we?

LAGalaxy II: 0
Wrexham: 4

Mullin leads Wrexham to rout of LA Galaxy II in California
ByESPN
Updated: Jul 23, 2023, 12:47 am

ManU scrubs: 1
Wrexham: 3

Red Dragons beat Red Devils in summer friendly
Simon Borg
07-26-2023
SportingNews

But the final result was overshadowed by an injury to Wrexham's star striker Paul Mullin, who was leveled by Manchester United goalkeeper Nathan Bishop early in the first half and was transported to a local hospital. The club kicks off its 2023/24 season in 11 days against MK Dons on August 5.

"He's got a small puncture in his lung and he's in hospital at the moment," Wrexham manager Phil Parkinson told ESPN after the match. "It's a clumsy challenge from the goalkeeper, and he didn't need to make it. It's a dangerous challenge and he should've been off the pitch. It's a massive blow to us to lose Paul."

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
My wife and I attended our first English Premier League match last night: Brighton v. Newcastle as part of the Summer Series. The match was played at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NEW. JERSEY. o_O .

Great match. Brighton led 1-0 until the 86th minute, when Newcastle tied it up. Then Newcastle netted the winner in stoppage time. Elliot Anderson scored both goals for Newcastle. Man of the Match.

Brighton played better than I expected. They looked faster and controlled play in the first half. The Seagulls had the win in their sights, but it unraveled in the final minutes.

Final: Newcastle 2, Brighton 1

Importantly for me, my wife had a blast. I’ve always been the English Premier League fan, but I was delighted to see how much she enjoyed it. 🙂

Last edited:

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
My wife and I attended our first English Premier League match last night: Brighton v. Newcastle as part of the Summer Series. The match was played at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, NEW. JERSEY. o_O .

Great match. Brighton led 1-0 until the 86th minute, when Newcastle tied it up. Then Newcastle netted the winner in stoppage time. Elliot Anderson scored both goals for Newcastle. Man of the Match.

Brighton played better than I expected. They looked faster and controlled play in the first half. The Seagulls had the win in their sights, but it unraveled in the final minutes.

Final: Newcastle 2, Brighton 1

Importantly for me, my wife had a blast. I’ve always been the English Premier League fan, but I was delighted to see how much she enjoyed it. 🙂

As an addendum to the above post, my wife and I did not get the full English football experience last night. No fights, no one set the stadium on fire, etc. The crowd was well behaved. Many fans of both clubs, and most other Premier League clubs were represented among the fans. We witnessed no shenanigans in the stadium, in the parking lot, or on the trains. A bit disappointing.

Latest posts