2023-24 Portal Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
How many more portals could their be??? Teams are already practicing and the registration deadlines are coming up fast, if not already behind us.

it's not a simple answer.

First, graduate students can enter at any time. There is no defined window for them.

Second, while there are portal windows (the most recent being 12/4/23 - 1/2/24), that's just for entering the portal. Once entered, a player can sign with another team at any time (i.e., they don't have to do so by the end of the portal window).

Third, there were extensions given to the portal window for players on teams that played in bowl games or CFP games on the weekend leading into New Years Day through the CFP Championship.

Fourth, any time there is a coaching change, the players on that team have a 30-day window. A 30-day portal for BC's players recently started with the hiring of BOB, and I think (not certain) that a few of the 30-day portals for coaching changes in January are still open.

Lastly, there is a 2nd portal window that roughly corresponds with the end of spring practice. It runs from April 15 through April 30.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
it's not a simple answer.

First, graduate students can enter at any time. There is no defined window for them.

Second, while there are portal windows (the most recent being 12/4/23 - 1/2/24), that's just for entering the portal. Once entered, a player can sign with another team at any time (i.e., they don't have to do so by the end of the portal window).

Third, there were extensions given to the portal window for players on teams that played in bowl games or CFP games on the weekend leading into New Years Day through the CFP Championship.

Fourth, any time there is a coaching change, the players on that team have a 30-day window. A 30-day portal for BC's players recently started with the hiring of BOB, and I think (not certain) that a few of the 30-day portals for coaching changes in January are still open.

Lastly, there is a 2nd portal window that roughly corresponds with the end of spring practice. It runs from April 15 through April 30.
“College” football…lol

LaJollaCreek

Oct 12, 2021
Inevitable. 1 down, 13 to go.
I remember 20 years ago when just about the entire SEC was doing this and winning title after title while other schools were still at least attempting to follow the spirit of the rules. SEC figured out that this wasn't an amateur sport a long time ago. 25 a class was a suggestion to them and it allowed them to make 4-5 recruiting mistakes or chances a year that other schools couldn't.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I remember 20 years ago when just about the entire SEC was doing this and winning title after title while other schools were still at least attempting to follow the spirit of the rules. SEC figured out that this wasn't an amateur sport a long time ago. 25 a class was a suggestion to them and it allowed them to make 4-5 recruiting mistakes or chances a year that other schools couldn't.
I remember 50 years ago, when Bear Bryant was signing 50 kids a class; even if they weren't going to have a chance to play for him, he was making sure that they didn't play for his competition.

OptionBob

Oct 12, 2021
I remember 50 years ago, when Bear Bryant was signing 50 kids a class; even if they weren't going to have a chance to play for him, he was making sure that they didn't play for his competition.
Great point. The old Big 8 and SWC also allowed 50 scholarships a year. Meanwhile Penn State and Joe Paterno were mimited by some "Eastern Agreement" *with Pitt, Syracuse, and West Va ... maybe others also) to only 25 a year. Yet somehow the Nittany Lions managed to defeat Big 8 and SWC champs Kansas, Missouri, and Texas in Bowl games. Yeah, Penn State had it so much easier back then.

I thinkJohnny Majors ended that agreement in 1973 when he took over at Pitt and signed some outrageous number of scholarships (I think Ridge Riley said it was like 104 or thereabouts). I can't remember the exact number.

Latest posts