2023-24 PSU MBB Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
A Big Thank You to Coach Rhoades and the Team for their efforts this year. For a team that was dead in the water not too long ago, they produced an entertaining and competitive season.

With what Rhoades inherited, and where things were in the recruiting cycle when he was hired, he did a phenomenal job. To some it may seem like a repeat of PSU MBB, in that they got close but didn't quite make it. But if Rhoades had not hit the ground running, and scrambled to put together a roster, this season would have been really ugly.

He'll have to keep up the effort this offseason, and for the next few years, to get his roster to where it can handle injuries and other unexpected situations, and be a consistent contender in the B1G and in college MBB. It appears that he has the energy and the appetite to do so, and that he can manage a roster and is a good game coach.

Last edited:

BrianS

Oct 31, 2021
With what Rhoades inherited, and where things were in the recruiting cycle when he was hired, he did a phenomenal job. To some it may seem like a repeat of PSU MBB, in that they got close but didn't quite make it. But if Rhoades had not hit the ground running, and scrambled to put together a roster, this season would have been really ugly.

He'll have to keep up the effort this offseason, and for the next few years, to get his roster to where it can handle injuries and other unexpected situations, and be a consistent contender in the B1G and in college MBB. It appears that he has the energy and the appetite to do so, and that he can manager a roster and is a good game coach.
Tom, very nicely said!

Reactions: Tom McAndrew

NewEra 2014

Oct 12, 2021

He'll have to keep up the effort this offseason, and for the next few years, to get his roster to where it can handle injuries and other unexpected situations, and be a consistent contender in the B1G and in college MBB. It appears that he has the energy and the appetite to do so, and that he can manage a roster and is a good game coach.
I was disappointed when Shrewsberry left the program, but Rhoades has proven to be every bit the program-builder and gameday coach as Shrews, IMO. The program looks to be in really good hands.

Nitlion93

Oct 29, 2021
With Clary, Aire, and Bragi departing in addition to the players out of eligibility, who are we targeting to fill the slots?

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
With Clary, Aire, and Bragi departing in addition to the players out of eligibility, who are we targeting to fill the slots?

I just assumed that this was the first step in shutting down the program.

Erial_Lion

Nov 1, 2021
Concerned about some of the smoke around Ace entering the portal. We could really use him if we’re going to take a big step forward.

Reactions: bdgan

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Concerned about some of the smoke around Ace entering the portal. We could really use him if we’re going to take a big step forward.
He and Rhoades have a relationship but perhaps it's all about the money. Something tells me PSU doesn't have a lot of NIL money for MBB.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Another opening at PSU. Appears Coach Rhoades needs to find some front court players in the portal.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
So how many guys are on the roster as we speak? We have to have room for at least 6 new players.

You have to reduce that by the number of recruits that have signed with PSU to start their college careers later this year. As such, there is currently room for 3 players via the portal (or additional recruits). That may increase -- I'm too busy with wrestling to check if any additional PSU players have entered the portal today.

Bkmtnittany1

Oct 26, 2021
You have to reduce that by the number of recruits that have signed with PSU to start their college careers later this year. As such, there is currently room for 3 players via the portal (or additional recruits). That may increase -- I'm too busy with wrestling to check if any additional PSU players have entered the portal today.
Here is hoping you will have time Saturday evening… after PSU has clinched the title before the finals even start!

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

There were strong indications that Jameel Brown was going to enter the portal, which is part of the reason I wrote the above.

He has entered, so now PSU has 4 spots open for portal players.

Reactions: Bkmtnittany1

Achowalogan

Oct 12, 2021
Which players in portal simply don’t fit the Rhoades long term plan, and are some simply looking for nil $

Last edited:

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
Which players in portal simply don’t fit the Rhoades long term plan, and are some simply looking for nil $
No one should be worried about the players that are in the portal right now. None of them saw double figure minutes a game and I don’t think any of them would project to next year either without some vast improvement. Not directed at you, but why do so many people think that your five worst players going in the portal is a big deal?

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
No one should be worried about the players that are in the portal right now. None of them saw double figure minutes a game and I don’t think any of them would project to next year either without some vast improvement. Not directed at you, but why do so many people think that your five worst players going in the portal is a big deal?
We need a rotation of at least 8 players. Lilley was improving and IMO he might have seen 10 minutes per game if he stayed healthy. Same for Brown.

Neither would have started but both could have contributed. We always needed a starting C/PF in the portal. Now we also need a few backups.

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
We need a rotation of at least 8 players. Lilley was improving and IMO he might have seen 10 minutes per game if he stayed healthy. Same for Brown.

Neither would have started but both could have contributed. We always needed a starting C/PF in the portal. Now we also need a few backups.
The incoming freshman Stewart seems to me that he is exactly what Brown is, maybe a little bit bigger and then Goodman will be expected to play in the middle and I would assume would take at least the minutes that Lilley would have. Carter is a big-time scorer. coach will find guys who were at least as good as the ones who left in the portal and we should be OK if not better.

psuro

Oct 12, 2021
I got an F in Organic Chem, took it again and got an A, still my favorite course at PSU. Physics, too, got an F and then an A. I’m sick thinking about it now, so many wasted opportunities.

So, on average you are a C student in those courses.

That's nice.

Reactions: Bison13 and LionJim

Bison13

Oct 13, 2021
I got an F in Organic Chem, took it again and got an A, still my favorite course at PSU. Physics, too, got an F and then an A. I’m sick thinking about it now, so many wasted opportunities.
As a freshman, I messed around too much the first few weeks and then had to study my *** off just to get a C in the introductory chem course, chem 12 I think. I then had to take O chem and everybody was telling me how much harder that course was, but by then I’d realized that I can’t afford to take two weeks off and ended up with an a. Thankfully, I learned my lesson in semester one.

Reactions: LionJim

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021

It looks as though PSU is hosting a couple of guys for visits in the coming week. Currently, I've only seen the info on a premium site, so I can't disclose the names. Based on the visits (and not surprisingly), size (height) seems to be a focus.

Latest posts