2023-24 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
Okay Awesome Penn State fans! This is the first of our two series this season starting tomorrow! Any thoughts on Penn State this young hockey season?

We (Gophers obviously) are young and relatively fast, but not especially stout on defense. We are also not incredibly strong on the puck. So far the pattern appears to be one really strong game and one decent, but sloppy/ careless game. This has led to splits or sweeps against us.

I know that the Nittany Lions will bring it. I hope we bring our A game as well.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Welcome to our Gopher friend and let’s hope the boys in Blue are ready to rock this weekend!

outstanding pressure and stick work leads to early 1-0 advantage! Best hockey perhaps of the season in this half of the first period.

And the gophers score on their first shot. 1-1, 3 minutes left in first

unbelievable! Two gopher shots, two gopher goals. 2-1, 1:53 left

The first 12-14 minutes of the first period was the best I’ve seen them play in a long time. Good stick work, forecheck, everything. Minnesota was not allowed entry into the offensive zone, they had no SOG. And then…poof. Disappointing end to a great start. Hope for better second period.

more open skating in first half of second period. Gophers clean up a rebound, now lead 3-1. SOG now 17-11.

First PP goes to Minny. Really need a kill.

and this is a no-kill shelter. 4-1, getting ugly.

PSU PP after a grade A chance with a slash on Minny.

that’s the end of 2nd. Rough stretch leaves us in 4-1 hole heading to 3rd. Fortunate to have Minny goal waved off for high stick.

Another PSU PP at 16 minutes left. Need to cut the deficit now.
Nothing on the PP. 13:23 left

Minny gets PP with 6:44 left. Still 4-1

final

Last edited:
Reactions: STPGopherfan

STPGopherfan

Oct 31, 2021
At this pace, you guys will have taken 75 shots with 39 on goal. Crazy pace.
Welcome to our Gopher friend and let’s hope the boys in Blue are ready to rock this weekend!

outstanding pressure and stick work leads to early 1-0 advantage! Best hockey perhaps of the season in this half of the first period.

And the gophers score on their first shot. 1-1, 3 minutes left in first

unbelievable! Two gopher shots, two gopher goals. 2-1, 1:53 left

The first 12-14 minutes of the first period was the best I’ve seen them play in a long time. Good stick work, forecheck, everything. Minnesota was not allowed entry into the offensive zone, they had no SOG. And then…poof. Disappointing end to a great start. Hope for better second period.

more open skating in first half of second period. Gophers clean up a rebound, now lead 3-1. SOG now 17-11.

First PP goes to Minny. Really need a kill.

and this is a no-kill shelter. 4-1, getting ugly.

PSU PP after a grade A chance with a slash on Minny.

that’s the end of 2nd. Rough stretch leaves us in 4-1 hole heading to 3rd. Fortunate to have Minny goal waved off for high stick.
Crazy game. Still lead the shots by a 4 to 3 margin. I'm only listening, so I can't comment much other than to say that this appears to be another crazy game/ series.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Gee, it would be something if we had NHL talent. Oh well, it’s not like Gadowsky has been here a long time.

🤬

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Back for more tonight. Still scoreless, PSU just killed a PP and now they SCORE!

1-0 8:53 left in first!

BANG BANG, and another for the boys in Blue. 2-0 7:49 to go first period.

2-0 end first period. Nice start.

Nearly midpoint second, still 2-0.

kirwan bangs home his second tonight, and now a PP for PSU. 3-0 8:32 to go second.

Gophers kill the PP, but then get tagged for a five minute major/game misconduct. Five minutes of AYCE coming up.

of course, we can’t have nice things. Gophers get a SH goal near end of second. 3-1 heading to third period. Buckle up

12:15 to play. Some back and forth but still 3-1

Bouquot on a breakaway, merci beaucoup! 4-1!

and another PP for PSU, 8:07 to go in the third

After a Minny goal on a bad turnover, Tyler Gratton puts us back up by 3! 5-2, 4:05 to go

Quick PP goal for Goldy and it’s 5-3. 2:53 to go.

an empty netter with half a second makes it a 6-3 final. Nice rebound after last nights disappointment. If they can finish strong next week in Wisconsin before winter break, that would be a nice springboard into January.

Last edited:

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
I made that comment because the Gophers radio crew said that now there is a skating Nittany Lion. I just assumed that it meant that there wasn't one before. Still unbelievable how fast Penn State has become a "Hockey" school.

My son "reliably" informs me that he thinks the Lion has been on skates before games for at least five years.

Reactions: STPGopherfan

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Hoping for a better game after last nights pounding from Bucky. Getting some points would be nice and hopefully a springboard to the second half.

Reactions: Bob78

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
With the approaching winter storm possibly dumping several inches of snow Saturday afternoon and evening, is there any chance PSU and Army move up the start by several hours or even Friday evening?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
With the approaching winter storm possibly dumping several inches of snow Saturday afternoon and evening, is there any chance PSU and Army move up the start by several hours or even Friday evening?

that seems unlikely.

The women's hockey team has a 6 pm game on Friday, and a 1 pm game on Saturday -- both at Pegula

Reactions: nittanymoops

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Thank you, Tom. I should’ve checked the women’s schedule. Seems unlikely and, hopefully, unnecessary.