2023-24 PSU Men's Ice Hockey Thread

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Well, wish I had better news. Barely made it here despite the 2 mile drive. It was good early as PSU (Aiden Fink)!scored an early PP in the first moments of the contest. And then Army went on the march, scoring three times in the next eight or so minutes. Simon Mack then potted one to make it 3-2 Army. That’s where the first period ended. Grannan started in goal but got yanked after the third Army goal. Souliere now in net.

absolutely brutal beginning to second period. An early chance to tie it up was whiffed, and now Army has score three more, including a shorty just now. 6-2 Army and the boys in blue look lost and disorganized. Rusty and undisciplined.

better play later in the period from Guy’s guys has resulted in several good chances and two goals. The Army goal was under siege in the last five minutes or so of the period. 6-4 Army, and the few people on hand are hoping the Lions can come back and get the W.

Kirwan makes it a one goal game! 6-5,

GOOOoooOAL! Berger makes it ! 6-6, all the way back from four goals down!

7-6 the boys have the lead!!!! Fink puts us ahead during 4 on 4.

2:43 left, still 7-6 PSU.

FINAL! Five unanswered goals for a 7-6 win!

Last edited:

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Waiting for puck drop. Important series vs. Sparty this weekend, and really they will all be important in the second half of the season if the tournament is the goal.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
Early Sparty goal upheld after challenge for hit to head. 1-0 bad guys.

And now a shorty for Sparty. 2-0

Welp, another Sparty goal. 3-0, 16 to go 2nd period. Need to break the seal to ignite the comeback!

And that may turn the lights out late in the second. 4-0 Sparty, six minutes to go second. Cannot sustain any offensive pressure. Getting outshot badly. Sparty appears to be a fast, physical squad.

sparty PP goal makes it 5-0. Two minutes to go. Saturday seems like a must win.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: BobPSU92

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
That was a humbling weekend. Sparty kicked our tails all over the ice. Was it their coaching change, or did they hit the portal hard? How did they go from perennial cellar dwellers to a powerhouse?

• Sad

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
That was a humbling weekend. Sparty kicked our tails all over the ice. Was it their coaching change, or did they hit the portal hard? How did they go from perennial cellar dwellers to a powerhouse?

Guy’s got this.

😞

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
I like Guy. That being said, it is time to find a coach that can produce a quality team every year and not have the level of talent be so cyclic. Too bad Pegula is so distracted with family and business things because he does not seem to care any longer and not sure Kraft can shitcan him without Pegula’s permission.

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
This team is playing poorly. Is it the defense, goaltending, recruiting, Gudowski, all of the above? Are we too young? It’s disappointing.

MacNit

Oct 12, 2021
I like Guy. That being said, it is time to find a coach that can produce a quality team every year and not have the level of talent be so cyclic. Too bad Pegula is so distracted with family and business things because he does not seem to care any longer and not sure Kraft can shitcan him without Pegula’s permission.
Guy has won Big10 titles- regular season and tournament. I think he has a long leash.

WVilleLion23

Oct 27, 2022
Guy has won Big10 titles- regular season and tournament. I think he has a long leash.
As someone who has followed the team very closely since its inception, I believe he shouldn’t. He makes a run every 3-4 yrs. There are teams that are very good every year. Guy has not shown that ability.

But again, only person that can yank that leash is Pegula and he isn’t overly concerned.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
If Kraft is inclined to make a change, then all he has to do is pick up the phone. If Pegula truly does not care, then he should not object to a change in head coach. Then the leash is removed. It starts with Kraft.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
If Kraft is inclined to make a change, then all he has to do is pick up the phone. If Pegula truly does not care, then he should not object to a change in head coach. Then the leash is removed. It starts with Kraft.

To follow up on this point, is it written in some legal agreement that Pegula has to have a say in a coaching change? Can it be legally? I’m guessing the issue is that making a change without Pegula’s approval will piss him off and jeopardize future donations. If that is the issue, at some point, the AD has to do what’s right for the program on the ice. The program can’t be held hostage by the promise of future donations.

Does Pegula care about PSU or PSU Hockey? He made his donation to PSU Hockey many years ago, and I’ve heard nothing from him since. Either he’s made anonymous donations or he has made no donations since the one for hockey.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
To follow up on this point, is it written in some legal agreement that Pegula has to have a say in a coaching change? Can it be legally? I’m guessing the issue is that making a change without Pegula’s approval will piss him off and jeopardize future donations. If that is the issue, at some point, the AD has to do what’s right for the program on the ice. The program can’t be held hostage by the promise of future donations.

Does Pegula care about PSU or PSU Hockey? He made his donation to PSU Hockey many years ago, and I’ve heard nothing from him since. Either he’s made anonymous donations or he has made no donations since the one for hockey.
Pegula is, FWIW, a Trustee. Term expires this year.

psykim

Oct 7, 2021
Do not remember reading about team being embarrassed so much for 2 games. I thought we would have top 10 program by now-hockey facility and home fans are great.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Do not remember reading about team being embarrassed so much for 2 games. I thought we would have top 10 program by now-hockey facility and home fans are great.

Guy’s been at this for a while now, OBVIOUSLY. o_O . I think it’s safe to say that this is all there is with him at the helm. I like him, but he doesn’t seem like the guy to make PSU a top-tier program.

It sounds much like men’s basketball, but it seems that PSU needs to get a hockey coach from one of the leading programs and with strong recruiting ties up north.

nittanymoops

Oct 31, 2021
OK, I asked a question about how Sparty got so good so quick. Nobody has answered, but I've drawn out the anti-Gadowsky crowd apparently. My answer to those of you espousing this course of action: Step away from the ledge and put the glue sniffer down.

By objective measure, Guy has built a solid program. Only Minnesota has been to more NCAA tournaments since 2016-17. (Sparty has been to ... none. We've been to three, plus would've been possible one seed in 2020 covid year.) Further, his program has been spotless, completely clean, not any hint of problems or embarrassing incidents. We were one goal from the Frozen Four last year. That's a hard task. Minnesota is, IMO, a gold standard for us to emulate. And we are on or close to their level for the past 7-8 years.

Guy is fine, i don't want him going anywhere. Teams have down years in hockey. We rose up out of nothing with fairly quick success. We have sustained a solid program. There will be misses, there will be hits.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
OK, I asked a question about how Sparty got so good so quick. Nobody has answered, but I've drawn out the anti-Gadowsky crowd apparently. My answer to those of you espousing this course of action: Step away from the ledge and put the glue sniffer down.

By objective measure, Guy has built a solid program. Only Minnesota has been to more NCAA tournaments since 2016-17. (Sparty has been to ... none. We've been to three, plus would've been possible one seed in 2020 covid year.) Further, his program has been spotless, completely clean, not any hint of problems or embarrassing incidents. We were one goal from the Frozen Four last year. That's a hard task. Minnesota is, IMO, a gold standard for us to emulate. And we are on or close to their level for the past 7-8 years.

Guy is fine, i don't want him going anywhere. Teams have down years in hockey. We rose up out of nothing with fairly quick success. We have sustained a solid program. There will be misses, there will be hits.

Latest posts