2023-24 Sixers Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use this thread to discussion the the preseason, in-season, and postseason of the Philadelphia 76ers.

The NBA is always slow to release schedules, but they finally did so today, so it's time to start the next season thread.

There were a lot of good posts in the 2022-23 Sixers Thread. You can access any of those posts at:

Hardslider33

Oct 6, 2021
Our dream is starting to wither Tom 😕
Jo now scrubbed the 76ers stuff from his twitter account 🤦‍♂️

MrTailgate

Oct 19, 2021
I used to love those fanboy posts from The Judge every summer proclaiming greatness for the Sixers. Remember those videos of Ben draining 3’s in the gym and The Judge saying that Ben was going to emerge as an offensive threat. Then we had The Judge posting on how Markelle had fixed his stroke and he was set up to be the final piece to a dominant Big 3. I remember him crucifying me when I said that the Sixers seem to always find a way to mess it up and they were one Embiid injury away from going down the drain. I miss those days.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I used to love those fanboy posts from The Judge every summer proclaiming greatness for the Sixers. Remember those videos of Ben draining 3’s in the gym and The Judge saying that Ben was going to emerge as an offensive threat. Then we had The Judge posting on how Markelle had fixed his stroke and he was set up to be the final piece to a dominant Big 3. I remember him crucifying me when I said that the Sixers seem to always find a way to mess it up and they were one Embiid injury away from going down the drain. I miss those days.
The thing is, Simmons was going to be better than Scottie Pippen and then he got bit by a zombie. I absolutely did not see that coming. And Fultz, he turned into Steve Sax, who’d have thunk it?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Not exactly what I'd like to have named after me, but I guess the money is pretty good for AI.

jmorovich

Oct 28, 2021
The start of the ‘23-‘24 Sixers thread!!

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Lillard traded to the Milwaukee Bucks. Well that bites.........
Jrue Holiday to Portland. I guess on paper the Bucks would be a better team but I would think that Holiday’s game at 33yo would be more sustainable than Lillard’s at 33.

Eric_M

Oct 12, 2021
Jrue Holiday to Portland. I guess on paper the Bucks would be a better team but I would think that Holiday’s game at 33yo would be more sustainable than Lillard’s at 33.
I think Jrue is at the end of his contract. Seems like that would be the better means to manage a 33yo if you can sign him to a shorter deal.

Well Miami was looking for a guard. Hopefully they will take Harden as a consolation.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
I think Jrue is at the end of his contract. Seems like that would be the better means to manage a 33yo if you can sign him to a shorter deal.

Well Miami was looking for a guard. Hopefully they will take Harden as a consolation.
I forgot the first rule of discussing sports teams trades: “What was his contract like?”

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
Everyone else seems to be making moves to improve while the Sixers are getting worse. I can hardly wait for Embid’s first injury of the season, Hardin’s holdout, and their no three point defense. What a fun year this is going to be…,

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Everyone else seems to be making moves to improve while the Sixers are getting worse. I can hardly wait for Embid’s first injury of the season, Hardin’s holdout, and their no three point defense. What a fun year this is going to be…,
I checked: the Sixers were sixth in the NBA in 3-point fgp defense, .348.

Reactions: Nitwit

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Not exactly an earth-shattering take but still a good read:

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
It’s a tough pill to swallow, but the 76ers would be better off shopping Joel and trying to cobble together a massive trade package.

Reactions: WestSideLion

Nitwit

Oct 12, 2021
It’s a tough pill to swallow, but the 76ers would be better off shopping Joel and trying to cobble together a massive trade package.
That’s tough. It would have to be a star quality player not just a package in return I think. I wouldn’t be opposed to it depending on the deal of course. Hopefully for a younger star. Embid is just too injury prone and hard to couple another complimentary player with without stalling down the offense and committing turnovers. But he was MVP!!!!!

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
That’s tough. It would have to be a star quality player not just a package in return I think. I wouldn’t be opposed to it depending on the deal of course. Hopefully for a younger star. Embid is just too injury prone and hard to couple another complimentary player with without stalling down the offense and committing turnovers. But he was MVP!!!!!

Here’s the dark reality, Philly is the third (at best) team in the East. Well behind Milwaukee and Boston. Now, I don’t really buy the idea that Porzingis plays the majority of the season. I also don’t know how well Dame and Giannis will pair together. They could be amazing or this could blow up in Milwaukee’s face. We just don’t know. We do know it’ll probably take until at least January to have a good idea of what it looks like.

Philly needs Harden to wake up happy and 5 years younger tomorrow and hope that the supporting cast absolutely balls out this year to stay in the top half of the East. And that’s not even talking about the monster that is Denver and the ageless wonders residing in the Bay Area.

Joel won’t be traded during the season. But if it’s another second round exit, I don’t see how you don’t test the waters next offseason assuming he doesn’t demand a trade.

Reactions: WestSideLion

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Here’s the dark reality, Philly is the third (at best) team in the East. Well behind Milwaukee and Boston. Now, I don’t really buy the idea that Porzingis plays the majority of the season. I also don’t know how well Dame and Giannis will pair together. They could be amazing or this could blow up in Milwaukee’s face. We just don’t know. We do know it’ll probably take until at least January to have a good idea of what it looks like.

Philly needs Harden to wake up happy and 5 years younger tomorrow and hope that the supporting cast absolutely balls out this year to stay in the top half of the East. And that’s not even talking about the monster that is Denver and the ageless wonders residing in the Bay Area.

Joel won’t be traded during the season. But if it’s another second round exit, I don’t see how you don’t test the waters next offseason assuming he doesn’t demand a trade.
Celtics got Holiday to replace Smart. I think it will be no worse than a wash for Boston. I was surprised to see that Holiday has a much better 3pt fgp than Smart. (Holiday shot .392, .411, .384 from 3 the last three years.)

WestSideLion

Oct 6, 2021

The Harden and Harris contracts expire after the season. Who ever they get in a trade needs to come off the books unless it’s an absolute star (long shot, IMO).

If they trade Embiid for a young star, then that might work as a salary trade, but I also think that’s unlikely. A team acquiring Embiid is in win-now mode. You don’t get better by trading a young star.

Reactions: Nitwit

TheTwistedFrog

Aug 24, 2017
Celtics got Holiday to replace Smart. I think it will be no worse than a wash for Boston. I was surprised to see that Holiday has a much better 3pt fgp than Smart. (Holiday shot .392, .411, .384 from 3 the last three years.)

I wasn’t impressed much by Boston’s offseason. Porzingis is a huge gamble. Smart was the heart of that team. With that being said, if Holliday can be 90% of what Smart was and Porzingis stays healthy for 70 games, Boston will be right there come playoff time.

Now if Porzingis does his usual walking wounded routine and Holliday can’t corral the kids the way Smart did, Boston could fall down a notch.

It was still a gamble worth taking because they weren’t winning the title the way the roster was constructed.

Latest posts