2023 NCAA Championship Session II Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm not going to get home until shortly before the start of Session II, so I'm setting this up the night before. Please allow this thread to sit idle until after the conclusion of Session I.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session II of the 2023 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 16, 7:00 pm EDT

Where:
Bok Center, Tulsa, OK

TV:
ESPN

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but this year you must have ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 6:40 pm EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 7:00 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=29&type=team

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for the entire session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP, and other content. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
FYI, consis will be on the outer mats, 1, 2, 7, and 8. They will run the pigtail at each weight first like they did this morning. Facundo will be on one of these mats and will wrestle a second time if he wins the first. Championship bracket matches will be on mats 3-6. Everyone but Facundo will be here and will wrestle once.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Looks like Consolation on mats 1, 2, 7, & 8, and Championship on mats 3, 4, 5, & 6

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Roman Bravo-Young vs. No. 17 Brady Palmer, Chattanooga

First period
Quick shot and score for RBY. It's 2-0 about 40 seconds in. Palmer out to 2-1 after a re-start. RBY ducks and drops on a single and converts it to 4-1. Palmer is out on a scramble at the edge to 4-2 and they restart in the middle. That's the score after one. Palmer hit with stalling as the period ends.

Second period
Palmer picks down. It's a rideout. RBY has 2:36 in RT after two and a 4-2 lead.

Third period
Neutral to start. RBY ducks on a single Palmer tried to go over the shoulders and fend it off and he does as a stalemate is called. RBY in on a shot but Palmer is trying to fend off the single leg attempt late. He manages to. With riding time, RBY wins 5-2.

RBY d. Palmer, 5-2.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
133 R2: #1 seed RBY vs. #17 seed Brayden Palmer (Chattanooga) (I'll use BP)

Per 1
RBY with a single and trips him down for a TD, 2-0. BP to his feet, returned. Up again, and OOB with 2:07 left. BP to his feet, and RBY cuts him, 2-1. BP reaches, nothing. BP reaches, and RBY with a lightning-quick head outside single counter, 4-1 and they go OOB with 1:22. They award an esc to BP, so it's 4-2 (seemed correct). 1 min left. On the edge and a stall warning on BP just before the buzzer. End.

Per 2
BP takes bottom. He's up and returned. He then hits a roll but RBY stays with him and has him flattened. RT goes over 1 min. BP tries a switch but abandons that (wisely). Again, on the edge (seems to be BP's thing), and OOB with 48 sec left. End. A rideout. RT @ 2:36 for RBY

Per 3
RBY takes neutral. RBY with an ankle pick, BP goes over the back and grabs an ankle. RBY working up and through the legs, and a stalemate with 58 sec left. BP sort of shoots, nothing. RBY with a single, BP with a whizzer, and the buzzer sounds. With 2:36 in RT, it's a 5-2 DEC for RBY

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
It was boring and they should not let someone run around the edge. Should be a stall in 15 seconds

RBY stayed inbounds, so it's not stalling unless Palmer steps back to avoid a shot.

Not fun to watch, but Palmer used what he could to try to keep in close. He also was effective at using his length, in terms of a forearm to RBY's collarbone, at keeping RBY away, and he also did a nice job of controlling RBY's left wrist (the old DeSanto technique).

Reactions: Hlstone

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@GregPickel -- let's plan on you doing Van Ness. It's likely that Bartlett's match will not be over by the start of SVN's match. I'll take Beau, and you can do SVN.

Reactions: GregPickel

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
RBY gets a rematch with Nagao tomorrow. I’m guessing he remembers Nagao’s haymakers at the end of the last match. Should be fun.

Reactions: Hlstone

Latest posts