2023 NCAA Championship Session II Thread

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
For @gimb14 and @Tom McAndrew, what do you think happened with Facundo the last two weeks? Realize that the matchup against the first wrestler from Pitt was tough due to his ability to make Alex miss his shots.

But in the second match, we looked lost out there on the match. He kept missing any attempts at takedowns.

Thoughts? I am a Wrestling novice and appreciate the thoughts of you two gentlemen.
Ramirez was the 4 seed for a reason. He's really good.

Facundo doesn't trust his stuff.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
One of my most memorable take-aways from this NCAA Tournament will be SVN's reaction to his major deficit (9-1) with the Maryland wrestler. It was as though he realized that his entire season was going to be decided by the outcome of that match. He actually looked angry! That aggression and pursuit was amazing. I will never look at SVN again without reliving that match and it's outcome!
I remember Cael having a father to son discussion with him while they waited for the review. Cael usually doesn’t sit in the corner for the lighter weights, glad he was there, SVN listened.

Reactions: JBott

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
And yet they kept having there usual wrestlers stall their butt off the entire 3rd period including real woods who should have actually lost.
Woods is a great wrestler for the first 3 minutes, he comes back to the pack after that.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Ramirez was the 4 seed for a reason. He's really good.

Facundo doesn't trust his stuff.
Wrestling is a lot mental, when you start doubting yourself it is tough. Not much room for self doubt at this level. That being said a lot can change in the off season and we could see the young man that was on the world team next year.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
For @gimb14 and @Tom McAndrew, what do you think happened with Facundo the last two weeks? Realize that the matchup against the first wrestler from Pitt was tough due to his ability to make Alex miss his shots.

But in the second match, we looked lost out there on the match. He kept missing any attempts at takedowns.

Thoughts? I am a Wrestling novice and appreciate the thoughts of you two gentlemen.
So, I'm not the best to answer this as I too am a novice (wrestled in high school, wasn't good, but that's it). I just understand tournament wrestling because I watch too much. But I don't see this as a new thing for Facundo. He's in a lot of close matches. I think his problem is finishing his shots. I assume it's mental because if it was technique, Cael would fix it. Some guys just don't have that killer instinct. Hoping he figures it out because I think the talent is there, but it has been this way for a little bit now. I actually thought he looked better in his first match yesterday than B1Gs, got in deep on a lot of shots, and was very active, just couldn't finish. Unfortunate for him that #4 also lost and that was his second match.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

headlock

Oct 31, 2021
Just a quick comment on the Andonian v Haines match. It is my belief that substance almost always defeats style. Levi made this point today with an exclamation point, so I will as well !!