2023 NCAA Championship Session V Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I'm setting this up the night before, so that everyone knows the plans, has the links, etc.

Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session V of the 2023 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 18, 11:00 am EDT

Where:
Bok Center, Tulsa, OK

TV:
ESPNU

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but this year you must have ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-Session portion of the broadcast will begin at 10:40 am EDT, with the actual PBP of the matches taking place at 11:00 am EDT. (LionVision indicates it's starting at 10:20. I think that's a mistake, as it was on Friday, but perhaps they will start 40 minutes before the Session.) You can access the audio stream at:

Team Scoring:
The best place to track the team scoring is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site. The link for the team scoring is:

https://www.pennstatewrestlingclub.org/content/tournament_team_score.php?id=29&type=team

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for this session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSUers wrestling in Session V:

141 lbs.: #6 seed Beau Bartlett. He's in the Consolation Semis, facing #11 seed Clay Carlson (S. Dakota St.). If he wins that, he'll wrestle in the 3rd/4th match. If he loses it, he'll wrestle in the 5th/6th match

149 lbs: #12 seed Shayne Van Ness. He's in the Consolation Semis, facing #4 seed Caleb Hensen (Virginia Tech). If he wins that, he'll wrestle in the 3rd/4th match. If he loses it, he'll wrestle in the 5th/6th match

197 lbs.: #9 seed Max Dean. He's in the 7th/8th match. He'll face #10 seed Jacob Cardenas (Cornell)

psufan07

Nov 10, 2021
@Tom McAndrew

Scoring related question regarding Dean. Is he done scoring points for the team race? Or can he get an additional team point for getting 7th tomorrow?

psbc19

Oct 7, 2021
Yep. Medical forfeit. Sad way to end a stellar career.
Not sure what he's got going on medically but to me that just seems like a sore-loser move. You've got guys out there like Mehki Lewis wrestling with a dislocated finger so he doesn't have to use injury time and who knows what happened to Hardy against Woods... thought he had a broken rib. All these guys wrestling today just to improve their placement are all beat up in some way or another and Lee looked perfectly fine up until he got out on his back. He's one of the best of all-time but he's also arrogant (kind of have to be to be that good) and apparently has only watched the beginning of Talladega Nights

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Not sure what he's got going on medically but to me that just seems like a sore-loser move. You've got guys out there like Mehki Lewis wrestling with a dislocated finger so he doesn't have to use injury time and who knows what happened to Hardy against Woods... thought he had a broken rib. All these guys wrestling today just to improve their placement are all beat up in some way or another and Lee looked perfectly fine up until he got out on his back. He's one of the best of all-time but he's also arrogant (kind of have to be to be that good) and apparently has only watched the beginning of Talladega Nights

How about the guy who wrestled through a knee injury last night (Oregon State?)? He looked done when he got hurt, but he kept going. He favored that leg the rest of the match, and he lost, but he stayed out there. He was in pain. Gutsy.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Another novice question: What happened to Oklahoma State this year? They are way down in the standings. Aren’t they expected to be much better than this?

psbc19

Oct 7, 2021
How about the guy who wrestled through a knee injury last night (Oregon State?)? He looked done when he got hurt, but he kept going. He favored that leg the rest of the match, and he lost, but he stayed out there. He was in pain. Gutsy.
Yea that was tough. Def did some damage to that knee. And to be fair, Lee has wrestled through pain and bad knees as well, but it's just bad optics to give up once you lose.

Garw

Nov 7, 2021
Personally I hope Spencer sat down for a quarter pounder with cheese and fries. Dude has been a reflection of the spartan existence necessary to stay at the top for years. The Purdue kid’s effort and result is why sports exist. If the outcome is always the same why watch?
The Purdue wrestler was also a thoughtful, articulate interview. Awesome.

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
You know, I give the UNI guy A TON of credit. He knew he was injured and simply circled and clubbed. He could have easily took advantage of the situation and didn't. Then in his interview he said he didn't want to "kick a man who is down." Mad respect for that kid.

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
Not sure what he's got going on medically but to me that just seems like a sore-loser move. You've got guys out there like Mehki Lewis wrestling with a dislocated finger so he doesn't have to use injury time and who knows what happened to Hardy against Woods... thought he had a broken rib. All these guys wrestling today just to improve their placement are all beat up in some way or another and Lee looked perfectly fine up until he got out on his back. He's one of the best of all-time but he's also arrogant (kind of have to be to be that good) and apparently has only watched the beginning of Talladega Nigbaby.
Yeah, I'm torn. I can see both sides of it. Kid has to do what's best for him I guess.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Yeah, I'm torn. I can see both sides of it. Kid has to do what's best for him I guess.
I can’t blame him. I have a hard time believing he isn’t hurt. Byers, me, and all of you were surely stunned with the way he got ridden in the QFs. And for him to get stuck, man, I just have to believe something is up. Tremendous career. Shame it ended this way. But curious to see what he does next.

KJB32812

Oct 31, 2021
I can’t blame him. I have a hard time believing he isn’t hurt. Byers, me, and all of you were surely stunned with the way he got ridden in the QFs. And for him to get stuck, man, I just have to believe something is up. Tremendous career. Shame it ended this way. But curious to see what he does next.
The Iowa board and two supposed "insiders" are speculating its bad. I don't if the two are legit or not as I'm not over there often. I really hope it isn't a reoccurrence of one or both knees that derails his international aspirations. Sad way to end a career for a special, special talent.

Reactions: Barbar

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Another novice question: What happened to Oklahoma State this year? They are way down in the standings. Aren’t they expected to be much better than this?
Well, ‘Trainwreck’ Ferrari is gone. Also some of their guys while good, never improved to elite (Wittlake).

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Track has Bartlett on deck on Mat 1, and

Shayne Van Ness on deck on Mat 4

@GregPickel, which one do you want to take? I'll take the other one.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
He's torn both of his ACLs and I'm not sure either one has been repaired. Almost certain one definitely hasn't. Give him a break. He literally gave his body for that program. Just wish he had coaches that put individual's health over the program and forced him to fix it so he doesn't have lifelong issues.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
133 Consolation Semi: Daton Fix - Aaron Nagao (Mat 3) could be crazy to start the morning. And Jess Mendez - Michael McGee (Mat 4) is another really good match to start the morning with.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
When does PSWC update max potential points? When Session V starts?

I think it is updated through the end of Session IV. While Iowa has put out a press release on Spencer Lee MFF, I don't think they can update the MPP until he doesn't appear on Mat 2 for his consi semi.

Reactions: Barbar

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Per Byers: A win for Penn State or Iowa not winning at least two matches by fall clinches it for Penn State. Beau Bartlett can seal it, as he is the first Lion to take the mat.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Yea that was tough. Def did some damage to that knee. And to be fair, Lee has wrestled through pain and bad knees as well, but it's just bad optics to give up once you lose.
Bad optics.......tell his mother.

• Haha
Reactions: psbc19

Michnit

Nov 1, 2021
I will blame he & the Brands. Go out like a man & not like “I lost, so I’m going to take my singlet & go home”.

To me this is an example of why Iowa is now a distant second to PSU Wrestling. Note that Max Dean is a returning National Champ, but is still fighting & clawing in the wrestle-backs to finish up as high as he can. Does it make ANY difference in the team race? No, that’s locked, but he’s fighting for personal & team pride. SL could exhibit that same personal & team pride & isn’t, so why let him off the hook. At the end of the day, you are what you do.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
I will blame he & the Brands. Go out like a man & not like “I lost, so I’m going to take my singlet & go home”.

To me this is an example of why Iowa is now a distant second to PSU Wrestling. Note that Max Dean is a returning National Champ, but is still fighting & clawing in the wrestle-backs to finish up as high as he can. Does it make ANY difference in the team race? No, that’s locked, but he’s fighting for personal & team pride. SL could exhibit that same personal & team pride & isn’t, so why let him off the hook. At the end of the day, you are what you do.
We'll just agree to disagree on this one.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
For those looking for mat assignments, Bartlett is on mat 1 with a chance to clinch. Wrestling starts momentarily.

ptomaselli

Oct 6, 2021
Per Byers: A win for Penn State or Iowa not winning at least two matches by fall clinches it for Penn State. Beau Bartlett can seal it, as he is the first Lion to take the mat.
Yep. Lee MedFor’ing our cost Iowa 5.5 potential points reducing their max total to 120.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021

Considering that this kid came back after double knee surgery, I will give him the benefit of the doubt.

Alphalion75

Oct 21, 2021
Personally I hope Spencer sat down for a quarter pounder with cheese and fries. Dude has been a reflection of the spartan existence necessary to stay at the top for years. The Purdue kid’s effort and result is why sports exist. If the outcome is always the same why watch?
The Purdue wrestler was also a thoughtful, articulate interview. Awesome.
I think it would be classy and a way to project that "spartan existance" if Lee wrestled. Just MHO.