2023 NCAA Championship Session V Thread

BigBankFrank

May 24, 2022
I will blame he & the Brands. Go out like a man & not like “I lost, so I’m going to take my singlet & go home”.

To me this is an example of why Iowa is now a distant second to PSU Wrestling. Note that Max Dean is a returning National Champ, but is still fighting & clawing in the wrestle-backs to finish up as high as he can. Does it make ANY difference in the team race? No, that’s locked, but he’s fighting for personal & team pride. SL could exhibit that same personal & team pride & isn’t, so why let him off the hook. At the end of the day, you are what you do.

And if he wants to medically forfeit out, fine, I guess. I don’t agree with it, But at least show up and support your teammates who are wrestling today!!!

WalnutCreekLion

Oct 20, 2021
We should all cut Spencer Lee and his mom some slack. He was 5 feet below the summit he had been preparing to climb his whole life since he was probably 5 or 6 years old. My heart broke for both of them. It's unfortunate the thing with his mom was caught on video - I am sure she won't feel great about that, but I certainly understand.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141 Consolation Semis: #6 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #11 seed Clay Carlson (S. Dakota St.) (I'll use CC)

They met in R2, with Beau winning 3-2

Per 1
Beau with a quick double for a TD, 2-0. OOB with 2:27 left. CC to his feet, and Beau cuts him after he can't return him, 2-1. Stalemate with ?? left. ESPN+ is not showing the match time. CC with a shot, blocked, then Beau counters and gets behind for a TD, 4-1. CC to his feet and returned, and OOB with 34 sec left. RT over 1 min for Beau. CC to his feet and returned. Beau riding well. OOB with 5 sec left. Stall warning on CC. End. RT @ 1:36 for Beau

Per 2
Beau takes bottom. Beau to his feet, and gets away in @ 12 sec, 5-1. Beau snaps the head down, then circle arounds and gets a single, CC with a whizzer, Beau has him dancing, then lifts him and brings him down for a TD, 7-1. Beau has his offense working this morning. End. RT @ 1:58 for Beau

Per 3
CC takes bottom. He's up and Beau cuts him, 7-2. RT at 2:04 for Beau. Stalemate with 1:03 left. Beau tries a double, blocked. Then CC tries a throw and Beau is on top of him for the TD and gets 2 NF, 11-2. OOB with 34 sec. CC to his feet, returned, tries a sit out, Beau stays with him, then CC to his feet and he's out, 11-3. End. With RT, it's a 12-3 MAJ.

PSU clinches the Team Title

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
149: Shayne Van Ness vs. Caleb Hensen, Virginia Tech

First period
Scoreless first, but tons of action from both wrestlers.

Second period
Hensen escapes. SVN shoots on a great shot and finishes it for a 2-1 lead. Hensen escapes to 2-1. Blood time for SVN.

Third period
It was 3-2 SVN. He gets a late takedown on the edge to win, 5-2.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Robb (Nebraska) - Franek (N. Dakota St.) in SV, tied 1-1. Some wild action for such a low score.

Edit: Franek works out of a crazy scramble to get the TD just before the end of SV, 3-1

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
141: #10 seed Lachlan McNeil (UNC) defeats #4 seed Brock Hardy (Nebraska) in the other 149 consolation semi, 5-2.

So #6 seed Beau Bartlett will face #10 seed Lachlan McNeil (UNC) in the 3rd/4th match

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Let's keep this rolling. Wrestling smart and strong.

I need to make beer run soon. The smoker is on for later today. Heineken is gone and I can't drink too many Erie Brewing Railbenders.

Spence Lee is one of the very best ever. Sad way to go out on this tourney. Sorry his mom got caught being completely out of character. Personally, would have preferred to see him come out and forefited in front of the crowd so fans could send him out the way he deserves.

So proud of our team; their interviews and their wrestling. Just outstanding young men being molded by the best.

razpsu

Oct 19, 2021
We should all cut Spencer Lee and his mom some slack. He was 5 feet below the summit he had been preparing to climb his whole life since he was probably 5 or 6 years old. My heart broke for both of them. It's unfortunate the thing with his mom was caught on video - I am sure she won't feel great about that, but I certainly understand.
Really? I jumped up and down for the underdog. Remember lee went for time in match before so he had so much in the tank. Kind of like the heavyweight kerk wrestled who ran out of gas that had a win over a gassed Elam who had absolutely nothing left the whole 3rd period.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Cameron Amine (Mich) vs. Shane Griffith (Stanford) in SV in the Consolation semis., 1-1 going to SV

Nothing in SV, so we're going TB

Griffith takes bottom in the 1st, and gets ridden out.

Amine takes bottom in the 2nd (surprised), but Amine gets out with 11 sec left.

End. 2-1, Amine wins

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
184 Cons. Semis:

- Trent Hidlay (NC State) defeats Marcus Coleman (Iowa St), 5-2

- Kaleb Romero (Ohio State) by MFF over Trey Munoz (Oregon St)

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Let's keep this rolling. Wrestling smart and strong.

I need to make beer run soon. The smoker is on for later today. Heineken is gone and I can't drink too many Erie Brewing Railbenders.

Spence Lee is one of the very best ever. Sad way to go out on this tourney. Sorry his mom got caught being completely out of character. Personally, would have preferred to see him come out and forefited in front of the crowd so fans could send him out the way he deserves.

So proud of our team; their interviews and their wrestling. Just outstanding young men being molded by the best.
What's on the smoker? I thought about making something yesterday but my luck it would need to come off, @Tom McAndrew and I would be trading bouts back and forth, and it would be ruined. Lol.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285 Cons. Semis:

- Wayne Hendrickson (Air Force) pinned Lucas Davison (NW), @ 3:56

- Tony Cassioppi (Iowa) over Zach Elam (Missouri), 4-0

Byers mentions it's the 1st Iowa win in this session

Reactions: BobPSU92

BVSt.Paul

Oct 12, 2021
A battle of Wyoming Seminary alumni…
True story- my parents sent me to ballroom dance class At Wyoming Seminary Day School when i was a kid. It was always a mad scramble when we were told to ask a girl to dance. One time I got hip checked across the room when I was about to ask a cute girl for a twirl. Scott ( we’d later become LL teammates) sent me flying. I was a lightweight. Scott was a heavyweight. I had no chance.

Latest posts