2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Barker is a member of Texas A&M's roster. She was highly recruited by Coach Staley and staff, and chose Georgia over the Gamecocks. Then UGA's head coach left UGA to take over the Texas A&M program, and Barker changed her commitment to the Aggies....

Barker broke her right wrist in their game versus Kansas on Nov. 30. Reports were that she would be out for 4 weeks "at a minimum", so that means probably all of December at least. So our game next week on Thursday she would be greatly doubtful to make an appearance.

The Aggies (5-5) had been dealing with horrible roster depletion due to injuries this season. During exam week last week they had only 5 players to practice with, and at most have had 7 players available for recent games. They just lost to Purdue today 59-53 in the Las Vegas Holiday Hoops Classic, and are 1-4 in their last 5 games when all the injuries started happening....
TAMU played everybody they had today, all 7 players. They have been forced to go to a 4 guard offense. Five guards and two forwards is the extent of the roster. Surprisingly they won the rebound battle decisively but shot poorly and turned the ball over too much.

Right now they are the proverbial brought a knife to a gunfight team. Maybe they get healthier in a week. Right now I don’t think they can score much more than 45 points against us.

Wish you would post more often Conway! Love your insights and stats

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Well was looking to UF vs Okla. but wow do UF just lay an egg
Rather weak OOC performance by the SEC. Besides our victories against Maryland, Stanford and UCLA, what are the conference's best wins?

UT tried, but struck out. LSU didn't bother trying.

Arkansas/LSU will be an interesting game. Did Arky's challenging OOC schedule better prepare them for conference play compared to LSU 's cupcake schedule.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Rather weak OOC performance by the SEC. Besides our victories against Maryland, Stanford and UCLA, what are the conference's best wins?

UT tried, but struck out. LSU didn't bother trying.

Arkansas/LSU will be an interesting game. Did Arky's challenging OOC schedule better prepare them for conference play compared to LSU 's cupcake schedule.
Wow, I did not realize how poorly the league had scheduled and performed. Rather embarrassing. We have 4 top 50 victories(add SDak St) The rest of the league has 3. Arkansas victory over K state 38th, UF over Miami 40th, and Missouri over Arizona St. 49th. THAT’S IT!!! An ACC fan would call the league a fraud!

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Just finished watching post game news conference from Coastal.

This staff REALLY has a chip on its shoulder. This summer DS called out teams for dropping us from their schedule. Asst. Lisa Boyer told the chalk talk Sunday about staff frustration of really good teams ducking us this year.

Coach DS raised that same issue yesterday. She was very diplomatic. Didn’t name names. But if you know, you know. Clearly she is hoping to see some specific teams in post season.

Last edited:

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Just finished watching post game news conference from Coastal.

This staff REALLY has a chip on its shoulder. This summer DS called out teams for dropping us from their schedule. Asst. Debbie Boyer told the chalk talk Sunday about staff frustration of really good teams ducking us this year.

Coach DS raised that same issue yesterday. She was very diplomatic. Didn’t name names. But if you know, you know. Clearly she is hoping to see some specific teams in post season.
Reminded me of Tom Knotts. High school football fans will understand.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Statistical wrap up for Christmas

#1 Blocked shots
#1 Points allowed per game
#1 opponents fg%
#2 opponents 3pt fg%
#2 rebound margin
#2 offensive rebounds
#16 fg % We are shooting almost 5% better than last year, that’s a big jump
#23 assists to turnover ratio 1.22. I know this doesn’t sound too impressive in comparison. Last year we were like #200 with a .9 ratio. HUGE improvement especially without Henny.

We lead the nation in bench scoring.
We are rebounding over 50% of our missed shots
We block 1 out every 6 opponent’s shots

Last edited:

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Wow, I did not realize how poorly the league had scheduled and performed. Rather embarrassing. We have 4 top 50 victories(add SDak St) The rest of the league has 3. Arkansas victory over K state 38th, UF over Miami 40th, and Missouri over Arizona St. 49th. THAT’S IT!!! An ACC fan would call the league a fraud!
We are 3-0 vs Top 25 teams

The rest of the league is 1-18…… 1-18!!!
With 3 teams not even playing a top 25 team!!!
The lone win came when Ark beat #25 K State at home

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkCock and vacock

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
We are 3-0 vs Top 25 teams

The rest of the league is 1-18…… 1-18!!!
With 3 teams not even playing a top 25 team!!!
The lone win came when Ark beat #25 K State
That's pretty dismal when you lay it out that way. Makes one wonder about the overall prowess of the vaunted SEC.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
That's pretty dismal when you lay it out that way. Makes one wonder about the overall prowess of the vaunted SEC.
ESPN at the start of the season predicted 9 teams in the tournament and another 2 on the bubble. I said 6 maybe 7.

You never know in conference play, familiarity and rivalries etc. but I think only LSU, UT, and Ark can actually give us a game.

But you know I am the paranoid type, especially after Mizzou last season.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
ESPN at the start of the season predicted 9 teams in the tournament and another 2 on the bubble. I said 6 maybe 7.

You never know in conference play, familiarity and rivalries etc. but I think only LSU, UT, and Ark can actually give us a game.

But you know I am the paranoid type, especially after Mizzou last season.
I'm the paranoid type myself. I've had to steel myself against disappointment ever since Roche and those lost their shot at immortality at the ACC Tournament in 1970. I've never gotten over it.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I'm the paranoid type myself. I've had to steel myself against disappointment ever since Roche and those lost their shot at immortality at the ACC Tournament in 1970. I've never gotten over it.
UGA is playing well!!!

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Thursday Opening Night SEC play

DEFENDER

Gamecocks vs TAMU

THIS could get real ugly. Going into Christmas break they only had 7 healthy players. Two starters out and two key subs. They are a bad team to begin with, averaging only 50 ppg.
If their best player, Barker, does come back it will be her first game in a month after a broken wrist. With her they score 50 and lose by 25, without her, starters sit midway through the third quarter.

CONTENDERS??

Arkansas vs LSU
Reality check for both

UT vs UF
Both teams picked for the tournament. UF is 11-2 but both have flopped vs good competition.

UGA vs Bama
Again both picked for tournament and both have 11 wins. Both lost to every good team they played. Step up or be dropped to pretender

PRETENDERS

MISS ST 11-2 vs Vandy 9-4
An illusion playing against a mirage

UK vs MIZZOU

Fascinating game. Two teams with just enough talent to go on a run. Two teams that have major deficits and could implode in conference play

Ole Miss 11-2 vs Auburn 10-2

two teams with great records who in reality suck

Last edited:

Buck Garnet

Feb 13, 2022
My thoughts before we begin SEC play:

USC - I know we play outstanding defense and can out rebound anyone and have for the last 3 years, thats why we won the Natty last season, but our ability to make perimeter shots with consistency still worries me...still cant figure why we struggle in this area. Also with all the talent we have I really believe we will have a transfer or two at the end of the season. Im so impressed with our bench...i wonder just how good they could be with more playing time. The only thing we havent done the last 8 yrs is run the table...its a tall order but thats what i want.

UT - I remember when RJ chose Miss St over us I was so disappointed....looking back now im happy she did....lol. Even with the injuries and the RJ drama the Vols can be a dangerous team. They wont win a championship but they should finish in the top 4 in the SEC.

LSU - I know they have played a very easy schedule but i think they are still pretty good and love her or hate her they still have KM and she is a pretty good coach.

ARKY - They are like they have been the last several years, their guards will beat you and light it up if you let them (we wont let them)

UT, LSU, ARKY fight for 2 - 4 in the SEC and the rest I havent a clue until ive seen a few more games.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
McGuire had a chip on his shoulder which he brought to Columbia from Chapel Hill.

Part of DS calling it out is to let the public know that she wanted a stronger schedule, i.e., so that we wouldn't be looked at as poorly as LSU is.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022

USC - I know we play outstanding defense and can out rebound anyone and have for the last 3 years, thats why we won the Natty last season, but our ability to make perimeter shots with consistency still worries me...still cant figure why we struggle in this area. Also with all the talent we have I really believe we will have a transfer or two at the end of the season. Im so impressed with our bench...i wonder just how good they could be with more playing time. The only thing we havent done the last 8 yrs is run the table...its a tall order but thats what i want.

UT - I remember when RJ chose Miss St over us I was so disappointed....looking back now im happy she did....lol. Even with the injuries and the RJ drama the Vols can be a dangerous team. They wont win a championship but they should finish in the top 4 in the SEC.

LSU - I know they have played a very easy schedule but i think they are still pretty good and love her or hate her they still have KM and she is a pretty good coach.

ARKY - They are like they have been the last several years, their guards will beat you and light it up if you let them (we wont let them)

UT, LSU, ARKY fight for 2 - 4 in the SEC and the rest I havent a clue until ive seen a few more games.
I wish you hadn't said "Natty". You had a good post going there.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022

Natty? I am paranoid too but I think we will run the table and I don’t think we will have a transfer. CDS is doing a good job with minutes I think and these younger players will shine…especially with some of that crappy officiating we will get. Our bench has scored more points than any other team in the country.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022

I agree those are most probably the top three teams behind us. The league is down dramatically and filled with questions.

UT has so many questions. In my book they are the Island of talented misfit toys.

LSU we all agree they are talented but to call that schedule weak is a severe understatement. Their average for opposing team net ranking was 250.

Ark is not just a three point team anymore. They have 4 talented players6’3” or better. We won’t outrebound them by 45 this year

Reactions: Cockhornleghorn

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I saw this posted elsewhere. Here's Tessa Johnson's 51 point performance. I was impressed she overcame a slow start to achieve it.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
We now currently hold the 5th longest consecutive streak at #1 with 27 weeks. If we can win out we could be looking #2 at all time.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I agree those are most probably the top three teams behind us. The league is down dramatically and filled with questions.

UT has so many questions. In my book they are the Island of talented misfit toys.

LSU we all agree they are talented but to call that schedule weak is a severe understatement. Their average for opposing team net ranking was 250.

Ark is not just a three point team anymore. They have 4 talented players6’3” or better. We won’t outrebound them by 45 this year
UT: Tamari Key is a huge loss for UT. I would guess that Key and Cameron Brink have the best +/- of any current players against us. The problem for both is they can't stay on the floor, but when on the floor they give us problems with their length. I feel much better about that game now, but we don't know what our own injury situation will be then. **knock on wood**

LSU: I hate Mulkey's scheduling as much as anyone, but there is no denying she has won 3 NCAA tournaments doing it her way. She will max out her talent. The starters will play a ton of minutes and develop great chemistry. Angel Reese will have a real case for SEC Player of the Year. The concern for them is one injury to a starter could be devastating. I think it was Morris who got injured at the end of last season and they underperformed in the SEC and NCAA tournament. We will overwhelm them with our post depth in our match up, but they will put up a fight.

ARKY: I watched a couple of their games. You are right that they are a different team than past ones. Is Goforth done with basketball? I really like her game.

UGA: This is my team to watch. The new coach's UCF teams played bully ball. I believe they may have finished ahead of us in points allowed last season. UGA got into a brawl down in the Bahamas in the game I watched. 3 of their players were ejected. Another game they skipped the handshake line after a close loss. I wouldn't be surprised if our game with them gets a little fiesty. Bring it!

Reactions: winloseortie

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Camden plays Keenan tonight at the chic,-fil-a classic, FYI.

From what I saw of Keenan against Flora, Fulwiley doesn't have much help. She was a bit of an indifferent defender as well. I got the impression she's ready for a new challenge. Can't blame her. So I'm picking Camden in this one.

If anyone is aware of a stream, please post.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
UT: Tamari Key is a huge loss for UT. I would guess that Key and Cameron Brink have the best +/- of any current players against us. The problem for both is they can't stay on the floor, but when on the floor they give us problems with their length. I feel much better about that game now, but we don't know what our own injury situation will be then. **knock on wood**

LSU: I hate Mulkey's scheduling as much as anyone, but there is no denying she has won 3 NCAA tournaments doing it her way. She will max out her talent. The starters will play a ton of minutes and develop great chemistry. Angel Reese will have a real case for SEC Player of the Year. The concern for them is one injury to a starter could be devastating. I think it was Morris who got injured at the end of last season and they underperformed in the SEC and NCAA tournament. We will overwhelm them with our post depth in our match up, but they will put up a fight.

ARKY: I watched a couple of their games. You are right that they are a different team than past ones. Is Goforth done with basketball? I really like her game.

UGA: This is my team to watch. The new coach's UCF teams played bully ball. I believe they may have finished ahead of us in points allowed last season. UGA got into a brawl down in the Bahamas in the game I watched. 3 of their players were ejected. Another game they skipped the handshake line after a close loss. I wouldn't be surprised if our game with them gets a little fiesty. Bring it!
Thanks, spot on.

UT with the loss of Key has gone from being a real height mismatch for just about everyone to being a tall team with no real post presence.

LSU is good. How good and how tough TBD.

Goforth is stepping away for this season. She is still on scholarship as far as I know. She may or may not return,

Goforth wrote in a statement that she suffers from a stomach condition called gastroparesis, which affects the stomach muscles. The combination of the illness and anxiety, she wrote, made basketball "too much."

TAMU & UGA are going to be defensive rock fights for the foreseeable future. Rugged and ugly basketball

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Camden plays Keenan tonight at the chic,-fil-a classic, FYI.

From what I saw of Keenan against Flora, Fulwiley doesn't have much help. She was a bit of an indifferent defender as well. I got the impression she's ready for a new challenge. Can't blame her. So I'm picking Camden in this one.

If anyone is aware of a stream, please post.

Camden wins comfortably. Edwards in full beast mode. Fulwiley with 18.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Fulwiley was 2 of 16 from 3. She has a tendency to settle for the 3 too much, imo. At USC, she's gonna have to drive more, draw contact and get to the foul line.

We have come to take Zia for granted, she's been a starter for feels like forever. There's a lot of talk about what she doesn't do, but never forget she's tough as nails: Loves contact and gets to the line. She's a warrior.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Fulwiley was 2 of 16 from 3. She has a tendency to settle for the 3 too much, imo. At USC, she's gonna have to drive more, draw contact and get to the foul line.

We have come to take Zia for granted, she's been a starter for feels like forever. There's a lot of talk about what she doesn't do, but never forget she's tough as nails: Loves contact and gets to the line. She's a warrior.
Did anyone go to that game? I wonder what type of relationship, if any, there is between Edwards and Fulwiley? I have this sneaking suspicion that they do not like each other :/ Nothing concrete so I'm hoping I'm wrong! They do not follow each other on twitter (I know that doesn't really mean anything) and as far as I can tell Edwards doesn't have an instagram acct for me to check there.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Did anyone go to that game? I wonder what type of relationship, if any, there is between Edwards and Fulwiley? I have this sneaking suspicion that they do not like each other :/ Nothing concrete so I'm hoping I'm wrong! They do not follow each other on twitter (I know that doesn't really mean anything) and as far as I can tell Edwards doesn't have an instagram acct for me to check there.
I think they are different personality types, for sure. Dawn is aware of this difference, judging by the way she handled their official visits. Fulwiley got the tour of Dawn's mansion, recorded and then set to music and released on social media. Edwards visit, on the other hand, was much more low key.

I'm sure there will be videos of last night's game on YouTube. I'll see if I can find one.

Edwards did not attempt a 3 pointer last night. Her game reminds me of Haley Jones'. Sorry for another Stanford reference, but the similarly is hard to miss. Edwards is more of a point forward than a true point guard. Maybe not a bad thing for us in recruiting since Raven and Fulwiley will already be here at the point.

Reactions: CockyGirl

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
Edward and Fulwiley are friends and have played AAU together. They gave a nice postgame interview to their friendship after the state title game last year. I think it is online somewhere. I think when they play they block out their friendship so they can compete at their highest level for their respective teams. No animosity at all between these two.

CockyGirl

Joined Oct 13, 2015 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
Edward and Fulwiley are friends and have played AAU together. They gave a nice postgame interview to their friendship after the state title game last year. I think it is online somewhere. I think when they play they block out their friendship so they can compete at their highest level for their respective teams. No animosity at all between these two.
Good to hear!

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Good to hear!
I discovered today that BallerTV is showing every game at the Chick-fil-A classic. It's a subscription service. I already joined because they often show my daughter's out of state volleyball tournaments. Probably not worth the price unless you are really into watching youth sports.

Last night's game was packed. River Bluff is a large venue, so that's impressive.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Pm q
And I want her to reclassify and start classes in the fall
If it's primarily a basketball decision, then I think she comes here. The future of this team is any player 1 through 5 getting the defensive rebound and initiating the transition. You can see it in Cooper, Kitts and even Watkins game. Fulwiley has excellent vision on the break. She throws a nice football pass to players who are already past half court. Edwards would fit PERFECTLY into this uptempo game. Edwards could use her outstanding rebounding and ball handling skills to initiate the transition from the 3 or 4 spot.

BUT we need to prepare ourselves for her decision to not be based primarily on basketball. I would love to have her on the team, but regardless of her decision, the future is bright for this program. For that matter, the present is blinding bright. The #1 ranked team for over a year. Feels good.

Reactions: Cockhornleghorn

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Not much suspense tonight beyond the minutes distribution. I'm curious how much playing time for Raven. Does Kitts continue to get minutes? Can Feagin get any meaningful minutes?

Unfortunate that LSU/Arkansas play at the same time as our game. C'mon ESPN/SEC! 😡

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Not much suspense tonight beyond the minutes distribution. I'm curious how much playing time for Raven. Does Kitts continue to get minutes? Can Feagin get any meaningful minutes?

Unfortunate that LSU/Arkansas play at the same time as our game. C'mon ESPN/SEC! 😡
Well upsets have already started #4!Indiana lost to unranked Mich. St 83-78.

I am paying particular attention to turnovers in SEC start of season. Our turnovers are down by about 5 per game and our assists to turnover ratio is way up from .9 to 1.22.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Well upsets have already started #4!Indiana lost to unranked Mich. St 83-78.

I am paying particular attention to turnovers in SEC start of season. Our turnovers are down by about 5 per game and our assists to turnover ratio is way up from .9 to 1.22.
That IS a good sign! I bet Lele and Eniya Russell were good for 5 turnovers combined a game last season. Their absence explains some of the improvement.

Of course, LA was the other big offender. I think she's doing better at playing under control. I come to accept she'll probably have at least 3 turnovers but given all she brings to the table, I'll take it.

Also, Zia deserves some credit. I believe she's 2nd on the team in turnovers, but she handles the ball A LOT. Her usage rate is tops on the team. She's doing a better job at not driving too deep and getting stuck in no man's land. She's more decisive this season, imo.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Gamecocks lead at halftime 43-18. Zia leads the way with 9 pts, and Talaysia has 7 pts in 5 minutes of play. Halftime stats have us leading the Aggies 27-12 in rebounds, 4-12 in fouls (remember the Aggies are player depleted), and 6-11 in turnovers. Our bench has out-scored the Aggies' bench 21-7, and we lead 5-2 in blocks, and 7-3 in steals........

Reactions: winloseortie