2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
That attitude lead to the advent of the “Peter Principle. Keep advancing until there is failure, only o the team concept keep adding until the zero sum occurs. 🤷‍♂️ I like to adage “If It Ain’t Broke, Don’t Dix it”. 😎😎 HD enough colloquialism today? 😂😂😂
I've always associated that concept to an individual, through advancement, reaching his or her level of professional incompetence. But that aside, if this player had come to Columbia and wanted to come on board, do you really think Dawn would have declined? On that, I take the "under".

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
I've always associated that concept to an individual, through advancement, reaching his or her level of professional incompetence. But that aside, if this player had come to Columbia and wanted to come on board, do you really think Dawn would have declined? On that, I take the "under".
I’ll take the over on you continuing to post word salads with no real input.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
No but then again isn’t that just Schrödinger Cat? She did not open the box therefore whatever could’ve been or should have been, still is undetermined. 😎😎. I am here all night brother 😂😂😂

PFUNK Cock

Jan 17, 2022
And yes your association is correct but it was also addressed in the premise. That this was a series of events in the grou dynamic but likened to the individual in the PP. I am sorry if it was not more clear.

PFUNK Cock

Jan 17, 2022
Whatever is going on between @KingWard and @YankeeRooster , my comments have nothing to do with in continuing. I am having fun with the English language contextualization . Lil having a conversation within a conversation. I mid my academic atmosphere at times. I am not bickering. I am just PFunking Around 😎😎

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Whatever is going on between @KingWard and @YankeeRooster , my comments have nothing to do with in continuing. I am having fun with the English language contextualization . Lil having a conversation within a conversation. I mid my academic atmosphere at times. I am not bickering. I am just PFunking Around 😎😎
I don't even know that person to whom you referred.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
No but then again isn’t that just Schrödinger Cat? She did not open the box therefore whatever could’ve been or should have been, still is undetermined. 😎😎. I am here all night brother 😂😂😂
Yes, and so I stated earlier, using other language. Getting down to cases, I posit that, had this player made the trip and expressed a desire to enlist, she would have been added and a majority of the fanbase would have been delighted.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
In the world of quantum mechanics the cat was both dead and alive until an observer looked…in the classical world, that cat was dead if the radioactive vile broke.😉

• Haha
Reactions: PFUNK Cock

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
But impossible to quantify unless put to the test. It's also possible, depending on subsequent events, that we might have needed the value added. We'll know in less than a year.
Actually, we will never know.
I like what we have. Can you imagine the distraction Iriafen would have caused among the media, social media, snoopy ol' farts on GCC, and the team had she ended up at the real USC?
By all appearances, our team was totally cohesive group this year. You cannot overstate the importance of that. We, on a fans message board, have no clue how that chemistry would have changed adding Iriafen. We have no clue if our on-court play would be better or worse. It is all speculation. Back to line one -- we will never know.

PFUNK Cock

Jan 17, 2022
Yes, and so I stated earlier, using other language. Getting down to cases, I posit that, had this player made the trip and expressed a desire to enlist, she would have been added and a majority of the fanbase would have been delighted.
Nope. You are assuming a conclusion to an event with no chance of happening. A slippery slope and therefore a faulty premise. Like positing the Chicken or the egg with no idea of beginnings.

PFUNK Cock

Jan 17, 2022
I like what we have. Can you imagine the distraction Iriafen would have caused among the media, social media, snoopy ol' farts on GCC, and the team had she ended up at the real USC?
By all appearances, our team was totally cohesive group this year. You cannot overstate the importance of that. We, on a fans message board, have no clue how that chemistry would have changed adding Iriafen. We have no clue if our on-court play would be better or worse. It is all speculation. Back to line one -- we will never know.
He is assuming a positive outcome and total acceptance. Maybe he has X-ray vision and actually sees the cat 🐈🤔🤔

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
All good points. However, she would have been a great insurance policy in the event of injury. Virginia Tech is a perfect example of what could happen. She has taken the decision out of Dawn's hands so everything is as you say....mere speculation. Let's hope for the best and.....

Go Gamecocks!!!

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
All good points. However, she would have been a great insurance policy in the event of injury. Virginia Tech is a perfect example of what could happen. She has taken the decision out of Dawn's hands so everything is as you say....mere speculation. Let's hope for the best and.....

Go Gamecocks!!!
She wasn’t joining any team as “an insurance policy” in her final season. She was choosing a team where she could showcase and be a 30 min+ player. You put that on this SC team and you have made the decision to backseat several players that are not only integral to our chemistry and culture, but you have made a statement that 2-3 years of sacrificing for the betterment of the team are not going to be rewarded. Watch the implosion of team unity when you make a move like that and it will impact future recruits who see that the story of loyalty and reward can be thrown out in an instance for a shiny new one year plug and play.

The Coast is Clear

Jan 25, 2022

Go Gamecocks!!!
Iriafen is not, however, insurance. Which might be why she decided not visit and to go to USC-W. She expects to play and would only come here with some level of assurance that she would play. At The USC, she might relegate Feagin, Watkins or Kitts to "insurance." If that were to happen, I do not like the premise of recruiting over very good players who are already part of a team and who are already national champions. If we have a weakness that cannot be remedied with the players we have, recruit away. Like Pao Pao.

The Coast is Clear

Jan 25, 2022
She wasn’t joining any team as “an insurance policy” in her final season. She was choosing a team where she could showcase and be a 30 min+ player. You put that on this SC team and you have made the decision to backseat several players that are not only integral to our chemistry and culture, but you have made a statement that 2-3 years of sacrificing for the betterment of the team are not going to be rewarded. Watch the implosion of team unity when you make a move like that and it will impact future recruits who see that the story of loyalty and reward can be thrown out in an instance for a shiny new one year plug and play.
Perfect summary. I was worried about the player even visiting and how that might be taken by our current players. I have even wondered if we withdrew the offer of an official visit.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
Perfect summary. I was worried about the player even visiting and how that might be taken by our current players. I have even wondered if we withdrew the offer of an official visit.
My gut feeling is that CDS told her this is not the place to come and expect extended minutes. Dawn tells it like it is. In spite of Mr. Word Salad’s declaration that he would lay odds on otherwise, CDS likely told her some hard truths which made the decision easier. That is how she has operated her entire coaching career, word salad’s repeated texts not withstanding.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
He is assuming a positive outcome and total acceptance. Maybe he has X-ray vision and actually sees the cat 🐈🤔🤔
A more likely outcome, given the strength of our organization and fanbase, than anarchy and disintegration.

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
Iriafen is not, however, insurance. Which might be why she decided not visit and to go to USC-W. She expects to play and would only come here with some level of assurance that she would play. At The USC, she might relegate Feagin, Watkins or Kitts to "insurance." If that were to happen, I do not like the premise of recruiting over very good players who are already part of a team and who are already national champions. If we have a weakness that cannot be remedied with the players we have, recruit away. Like Pao Pao.
This. I think the short-term gain would have outweighed by the long -term or perhaps even short-term costs. And we all know what they are I think. I think the I-word, integrity is in play. I am not CDS, but the only way I would have offered would have been to have a clear understanding of the rules of the game here. Further I would not offer without the input of our current players on some level.

Last edited:

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
A more likely outcome, given the strength of our organization and fanbase, than anarchy and disintegration.
Spoken by one who sounds like he has never been a member of a higher level sports team. No feel at all for team chemistry amongst players and team or the thought that their coach could pull the rug out from underneath them at any moment after years of loyalty and sacrifice. Arm chair warrior aka word salad chef serving up nothing burgers. I now exit this discourse with the short order cook wannabe real chef.

The best writers always have a way of describing and explaining without ever over playing words. The wannabe writers rely on an over use of same, in an attempt to impress. When it is written properly it flows, when it is forced for effect it just stands out as bad. I get the schtick, it just gets old when it never makes a real point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kisland

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
This. I think the short-term gain would have outweighed by the long -term or perhaps even short-term costs. And we all know what they are I think. I think the I-word, integrity is in play. I am not CDS, but the only way I would have offered would have been to have a clear understanding of the rules of the gam here. Further I would not offer without the input of our current players on some level.
Additionally, the deadline for entering the portal is May 1st. I'm skeptical Dawn would have brought in someone to play over Feagin; I'm almost certain she would not do so without giving Feagin a chance to enter the portal. That's the problem with the depth argument: adding KI would have probably resulted in the loss of Feagin.

Think about it: she came here as the 4th ranked high school player knowing Boston and Amihere had 2 years left. Then Cardoso transfers in. The next season Saxton returns for her 5th season. Last season Kitts makes leaps in her game and becomes a starter. Who would blame her if she were to transfer had Dawn brought in someone to play ahead of her?

I'm rooting for Sania this season. Her advanced numbers when adjusted for 40 minutes are quite good. So it's not like she'll be playing more just because she waited her turn. I expect her to be a real asset.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
Additionally, the deadline for entering the portal is May 1st. I'm skeptical Dawn would have brought in someone to play over Feagin; I'm almost certain she would not do so without giving Feagin a chance to enter the portal. That's the problem with the depth argument: adding KI would have probably resulted in the loss of Feagin.

Think about it: she came here as the 4th ranked high school player knowing Boston and Amihere had 2 years left. Then Cardoso transfers in. The next season Saxton returns for her 5th season. Last season Kitts makes leaps in her game and becomes a starter. Who would blame her if she were to transfer had Dawn brought in someone to play ahead of her?

I'm rooting for Sania this season. Her advanced numbers when adjusted for 40 minutes are quite good. So it's not like she'll be playing more just because she waited her turn. I expect her to be a real asset.
You said it better than I did. And I have the same feelings and expectations for Feagin, whom I believe can be All SEC given the minutes she has waited three years for in sacrifice for her team. As you stated, her numbers per 40 are elite. Even as a sophomore, she led the team in PPG per minutes played. I believe she will reward SC fans in her Sr. season once given the PT. And you know her teammates will be cheering for her, they realize better than anyone the commitment she has given to this team so far.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
And I don't see where that has changed by reason of taking transfers. In fact, we've done pretty well in that regard.
Dumb…you take no notice of needs on a team and a selective approach to the portal to fill a short gap need. You apparently see no wrong in recruiting over a perceived strength which incidently has been playing the team game, biding their time. Your lack of understanding on these dynamics is glaring. You would love the Mulkey way, you two both have the same loyalty thoughts in reference to players. Good luck selling that story to future recruits if you were the coach and then pulled that dagger out senior season for a one year portal player. I bet your schtick would go over well. No way you ever played sports on any kind of level above HS, your lack of understanding how things like that impact a team are obvious.

Last edited:

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
Spoken by one who sounds like he has never been a member of a higher level sports team. No feel at all for team chemistry amongst players and team or the thought that their coach could pull the rug out from underneath them at any moment after years of loyalty and sacrifice. Arm chair warrior aka word salad chef serving up nothing burgers. I now exit this discourse with the short order cook wannabe real chef.

The best writers always have a way of describing and explaining without ever over playing words. The wannabe writers rely on an over use of same, in an attempt to impress. When it is written properly it flows, when it is forced for effect it just stands out as bad. I get the schtick, it just gets old when it never makes a real point.
As he makes two more posts after making this declaration....

And are the personal attacks really necessary?

Gamecock Lincoln

Joined Nov 10, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022

Does Feagin graduate this May? If so, she and a few others can still enter the portal as grad transfers and not have to sit. The glamour of getting the #1 transfer might have overshadowed her actual contribution. We have no idea how she would have meshed with our current players and no way would she have gotten the minutes she wanted. That's why, I don't think she would have come here anyway even if we had gotten the visit. If you look at her sophomore stats, they're not impressive at all. She played 12 minutes, 6.7 points, 3.8 RBs, .3 blocks, shot 53% from the field and 64.9% FT(very comparable to Feagin this yr). It was only this last season that she took a big jump. We have several players on our roster very capable of doing the same. And the bonus is they are already here integrated with our team and our system.

Last edited:

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Does Feagin graduate this May? If so, she and a few others can still enter the portal as grad transfers and not have to sit. The glamour of getting the #1 transfer might have overshadowed her actual contribution. We have no idea how she would have meshed with our current players and no way would she have gotten the minutes she wanted. That's why, I don't think she would have come here anyway even if we had gotten the visit. If you look at her sophomore stats, they're not impressive at all. She played 12 minutes, 6.7 points, 3.8 RBs, .3 blocks, shot 53% from the field and 64.9% FT(very comparable to Feagin this yr). It was only this last season that she took a big jump. We have several players on our roster very capable of doing the same. And the bonus is they are already here integrated with our team and our system.
Most of the reason her stats from her sophomore season are so low is Coach Tara Vandeveer. She yanked Iriafen’s playing time around in ways that were incomprehensible. In her first 10 games she averaged 11 & 6. She got 11 & 7 against us in 20 minutes. Was very effective.

Then for the rest of her season her PT fluctuated wildly. She had 10 games where she played 5 minutes or less. She was the second most productive big and got less minutes than Lauren Betts, Ashton Pretchel or Fran Belibi. It was like, hell I don’t what it was… STUPID. I commented on this a couple times during the 22-23 season.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Feagin shot 57% from 2; Iriafin shot 55%. Both are very good offensive players in the paint, either facing or with their backs to the basket. Neither, however, provide the elite rim protection of Cardoso or Brink. They don't really complement each other since they possess almost identical skill sets. I would rather have one and give the additional minutes to Joyce Edwards.

The classic example that sometimes a short roster is better is 2017--we got better after losing Alaina Coates. That's not a knock on Coates. A'ja was/is a legitimate "generational talent." The reality is we were better in the tournament when A'ja Wilson played 38 minutes a game and Coates played 0 than we were when A'ja played 28 minutes a game and Coates played 26 during the regular season. Yes, it would have been ideal if A'ja played 33 minutes and Coates backed her up and played 15 minutes. But Coates didn't want to provide good "depth." She, understandably, wanted to play more, and Dawn was too loyal to not play her, so it took an injury to give A'ja more minutes.

Personally, I think Dawn didn't play A'ja enough in her first 3 seasons. But it goes back to loyalty and that's important to Dawn. That's who she is. With the current construction of the roster, Dawn can give her veterans ample playing time and still give JE significant minutes to develop.

Last edited:

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Not necessarily. I think a lot of people would have been very happy to see her come here. She was the top player in the portal and you don't turn away a player with that kind of talent if she had wanted to come here. I think it was said earlier, maybe halfheartedly, that by getting her to be a Gamecock it would mean she wouldn't be a Trojan. SouCal will be trouble next year. Dawn would have found a way to get everyone satisfactory playing time. Plus any serious injury to one or two of our frontline players will be a big concern (UCONN anyone?). We have been very fortunate with injuries, or lack thereof, recently. Hence.......best for the Trojans but not for USC. I would loved to have seen here come here!!!
I'm the one that said Iriafen would not be a Trojan if she came here. I sort of said that half-heartedly to convince myself of the positives of her coming. However, I am relieved that she is not. Yes, Southern Cal will have talent, but Iriafen doesn't make them better than us IMO. We have 12 players if Walker stays. More than enough to withstand a potential injury. Frankly an ideal basketball rotation is eight players. Most programs in Women's Basketball only play 6 or 7 come tournament time. Our depth is what will make us the favorites again.

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Just to add to what I said earlier, we have a tight 9 woman roster not counting Tac or McDaniel. Edwards replaces Cardoso. A little smaller in size, but we gain in athleticism. Walker can work herself into some minutes if she improves her conditioning and balance. Don't need her to be great. Just be big, defend for maybe 10 minutes and make putbacks and lay-ups. That would make 10. We can work Tac and McDaniel back from their injuries at their own pace. No need to rush them.

USMC1974

Feb 28, 2024
A few thoughts:
1. Our team chemistry as a strength cannot be stressed enough. It starts in the recruit's living room with their parents, and continues with accountability in the gym and on the court. I don't think anyone makes it work as well as Dawn. Geno does a pretty good job of it, too.
2. Huge props to our strength and conditioning coach. We were healthy all year long, and nine players averaged 15+ minutes per game, meaning no one was worn out playing 35+ minutes game after game. When the sports media described us as "attacking in waves" or "having nine starters", we saw the advantage of having depth that no other team could match.
3. Our coach stresses every facet of the game to every player. Offense and defense... rebounding and passing... confidence and composure. Our players get their minutes because they have shown our coach they can handle these different facets. Early in the year, some of our players weren't getting the minutes they did late in the season, because they had to earn Dawn's confidence.

I can't wait for the 2024-2025 season to begin.

YankeeRooster

Nov 29, 2022
Some folks aren't very "evolved". :ROFLMAO:
If evolved means typing meaningless texts on a sports thread where one tries to impress everyone with an over use of words in an attempt to impress without ever making a valid point, count me in.