2024-2025 WBB Team (2022-present)

CCUIrmo

Mar 21, 2022
That would suggest Dawn is open to portal transfers? Interesting
It would seem either Walker is transferring and we would hear about it soon, or Dawn is wanting more size until Tac is fully recovered and ready to go. Either way it is what I thought would be only transfer portal pursuit is height. We are used to that now.

Reactions: cockyclt

cockyclt

Sep 22, 2022
I find it hard to believe that we would reach out
If we think she could contribute at all even with our depth, it is smart to do our due diligence. It's hard to know what she wants out of her next team, but if in talking to her we realized she was willing to contribute & be a depth piece so that she could receive good training for the WNBA & a chance to win championships, then it's worth it. If we realize she wants a promise of a starting role, then we move on. But we won't know until we talk to her.

Take Cardoso, for instance. On paper, it was kind of crazy she wanted to come here and sit behind Aliyah for two years when she would have started almost everywhere else. But it worked great for everyone involved. And it would have been a mistake not to talk to her assuming she wouldn't be okay with that role.

Reactions: germangamecock

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
If we think she could contribute at all even with our depth, it is smart to do our due diligence. It's hard to know what she wants out of her next team, but if in talking to her we realized she was willing to contribute & be a depth piece so that she could receive good training for the WNBA & a chance to win championships, then it's worth it. If we realize she wants a promise of a starting role, then we move on. But we won't know until we talk to her.

Take Cardoso, for instance. On paper, it was kind of crazy she wanted to come here and sit behind Aliyah for two years when she would have started almost everywhere else. But it worked great for everyone involved. And it would have been a mistake not to talk to her assuming she wouldn't be okay with that role.
Well, Dauda did average almost 3 blocks per game in SEC contests. She likes to drift out to the 3 point line a little more than my liking, but it would provide a dynamic in our bigs similar to Boston. Needs to get her FG% up. She should be better than 45% from the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: brewsc and cockyclt

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Well, Dauda did average almost 3 blocks per game in SEC contests. She likes to drift out to the 3 point line a little more than my liking, but it would provide a dynamic in our bigs similar to Boston. Needs to get her FG% up. She sould be better than 45% from the field.
She also only grabbed 1 rebound per game.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022
The pertinent thing to remember is that these reports generally come from the student side and not the schools. Sometimes they are true and some are a stretch similar to students who post a large number of offers coming out of high school because they have received some interest from a school but not a commitable offer. Similar to last year, when some reports had us trying to speak to HVL when it was apparent that this contact never happened. I will wait and see how this plays out.

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
Well, Dauda did average almost 3 blocks per game in SEC contests. She likes to drift out to the 3 point line a little more than my liking, but it would provide a dynamic in our bigs similar to Boston. Needs to get her FG% up. She sould be better than 45% from the field.
I think her attempts from outside the paint hinder that. She 52% from 2 which is more acceptable but still not amazing.

Reactions: winloseortie

brewsc

Joined Jan 5, 1999 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
I think her attempts from outside the paint hinder that. She 52% from 2 which is more acceptable but still not amazing.
When I watched our game with Arky this year, I thought this is someone i would like on our team.

Reactions: PFUNK Cock

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
Getting her 3pt. % up would help in that regard. I saw that she only shot 31% from 3pt. range. If she is going to be a volume shooter from out there, she needs to get that to 35% or higher. Then you become a threat from out there.

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
I was looking on the Arkansas site and maybe I did misread it. I did see the 19 points per game and the 3 blocks. My eyes must’ve deceived me 🤷‍♂️ Thanks got the correction

I think we're confusing her season's averages at Arkansas, with her one-game performance against South Carolina this season. Against us on Feb. 29th, Dauda did in fact score 19 pts on 7-17 shooting from the field - 3-12 from behind the arc - and she also blocked 3 shots and did in fact pull down just one single rebound.

But for her season's averages against all opponents, Dauda averaged 10.1 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg and 0.7 spg. In SEC play, she averaged 11.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.8 bpg, and 1.0 spg.....

Whiterockcock69

Joined Sep 12, 2010
Jan 31, 2022
I think we're confusing her season's averages at Arkansas, with her one-game performance against South Carolina this season. Against us on Feb. 29th, Dauda did in fact score 19 pts on 7-17 shooting from the field - 3-12 from behind the arc - and she also blocked 3 shots and did in fact pull down just one single rebound.

But for her season's averages against all opponents, Dauda averaged 10.1 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.2 bpg and 0.7 spg. In SEC play, she averaged 11.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 2.8 bpg, and 1.0 spg.....
Sounds like a defender.

Cockburn

Joined Mar 5, 2000
Jan 19, 2022
way too early & first posted ESPN Bracketology for 24/25 . found it interesting that Creme has Clemmers as a 'first four in' and the Vols as a 'first four out'

no surprise who's the #1 seed at this point :

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I don't see why Dauda would want come here just to provide us with depth. Sure, that would be nice, but what's in it for her?

Some things to keep in mind about Cardoso's transfer:

-- She had 3 years of eligibility left
-- She was best friends with Raven on her AAU team
-- She was ineligible for NIL deals

I'm sure some school will offer Dauda a starting spot and a sweet NIL deal. It'll be hard to compete with that.

Remember last year we did recruit several players in the portal and only Paopao ended up here. It was rather cut-and-dry that she would be a starter. Dawn didn't have to make promises about her role.

I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: YankeeRooster

Gamekem

Joined Apr 3, 2019
Feb 1, 2022
I don't see why Dauda would want come here just to provide us with depth. Sure, that would be nice, but what's in it for her?

I'm sure some school will offer Dauda a starting spot and a sweet NIL deal. It'll be hard to compete with that.

Remember last year we did recruit several players in the portal and only Paopao ended up here. It was rather cut-and-dry that she would be a starter. Dawn didn't have to make promises about her role.

She was on a pretty mediocre Arkansas team and hasn't won much. I think some players are willing to sacrifice if it means they get to play on a contender and earn some minutes and grow their games for 2 seasons.

We have a great track record of sending post players into the league and we don't currently have a proven center on the roster. We have some great forwards that can play the part if needed but I could see why there could be some mutual interest for someone of her size and rim protection. While I think we'll be fine without her I can see how it could potentially be a win-win scenario for both parties.

Sharris

Joined Mar 22, 2016
Jan 31, 2022

Dauda may be looking for the Development and expsure. Our style of play has shown that if you are playing to a standard you will get minutes and similar to Alabama and Georgia football, our players who come off the bench get recognition and are more apt to get drafted than starters on a lot of teams.

Reactions: YankeeRooster

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
She was on a pretty mediocre Arkansas team and hasn't won much. I think some players are willing to sacrifice if it means they get to play on a contender and earn some minutes and grow their games for 2 seasons.

We have a great track record of sending post players into the league and we don't currently have a proven center on the roster. We have some great forwards that can play the part if needed but I could see why there could be some mutual interest for someone of her size and rim protection. While I think we'll be fine without her I can see how it could potentially be a win-win scenario for both parties.
Be careful. I got hammered pretty good for suggesting we take Kiki when she became available. "Don't want to blow up team chemistry" and "some of our girls will transfer out" and "we have to be loyal to the girls that have been here." I understand all of that but if you have a chance to make a significant upgrade and provide some insurance where needed then you do it.

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
This, that, and the other

Portal closes at midnight EST. The big fish left are

Timea Gardiner
Deja Kelly
Liatu King
Liza Karlen
Janiah Barker
Maryam Dauda

Scheduling came up today as Coach Dawn was on the radio. The big news was the season opener in Las Vegas. Then Coach dropped this pearl,

“It’s really hard because people don’t want to play us,” Staley said of the challenges that come with putting together a schedule. “And, I mean, really good teams don’t want to play. And I just I don’t get it.”

Over the last couple of years Stanford, Duke, and NCSU dropped games with us. It was rumored Iowa dropped negotiations about a home and home. We finally got ND, but in a neutral court, as they just don’t want to do home and home. UNC is another that thinks it’s below them to do a home and home. UNC played 1 away game, 4 neutral site games(1 in Charlotte) and 8 home games.
Here is the schedule as I understand it. 10 games which only leaves 3 open spots. HBCU? A trip to the Dakotas? A double up on the west coast trip? My hunch is a matchup with ND will be irresistible for the SEC/ACC Challenge.

@Clemson
@Maryland
@UCLA
East Carolina
Bowling Green
UConn
Duke
ACC Challenge should be at the CLA
NCSU @ Charlotte
Opener in Las Vegas

Charlie Creme has come out with Bracketology and I’m a bit confused. He has the taters as 11 seed which I find unfathomable. He also has 11 SEC Teams making the tournament and 2 more in the first four out. Dubious at best and I think early big conference bias. The SEC teams just plain out in his eyes are Ark, Mizzou, and UGA.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Be careful. I got hammered pretty good for suggesting we take Kiki when she became available. "Don't want to blow up team chemistry" and "some of our girls will transfer out" and "we have to be loyal to the girls that have been here." I understand all of that but if you have a chance to make a significant upgrade and provide some insurance where needed then you do it.
I didn't say don't take Dauda, I said she's not likely to come. And I don't think there was any chance that Irafin was coming here. I'm just being realistic. No one wants to be "insurance." Certainly no player with viable options. I really liked Lazaria Spearman, the big from Miami, who was AAU teammates with Watkins and Fulwiley. But the chance to play big minutes at UT was too good to pass up. So it goes.

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
This, that, and the other

Portal closes at midnight EST. The big fish left are

Timea Gardiner
Deja Kelly
Liatu King
Liza Karlen
Janiah Barker
Maryam Dauda

Scheduling came up today as Coach Dawn was on the radio. The big news was the season opener in Las Vegas. Then Coach dropped this pearl,

“It’s really hard because people don’t want to play us,” Staley said of the challenges that come with putting together a schedule. “And, I mean, really good teams don’t want to play. And I just I don’t get it.”

Over the last couple of years Stanford, Duke, and NCSU dropped games with us. It was rumored Iowa dropped negotiations about a home and home. We finally got ND, but in a neutral court, as they just don’t want to do home and home. UNC is another that thinks it’s below them to do a home and home. UNC played 1 away game, 4 neutral site games(1 in Charlotte) and 8 home games.
Here is the schedule as I understand it. 10 games which only leaves 3 open spots. HBCU? A trip to the Dakotas? A double up on the west coast trip? My hunch is a matchup with ND will be irresistible for the SEC/ACC Challenge.

@Clemson
@Maryland
@UCLA
East Carolina
Bowling Green
UConn
Duke
ACC Challenge should be at the CLA
NCSU @ Charlotte
Opener in Las Vegas

Charlie Creme has come out with Bracketology and I’m a bit confused. He has the taters as 11 seed which I find unfathomable. He also has 11 SEC Teams making the tournament and 2 more in the first four out. Dubious at best and I think early big conference bias. The SEC teams just plain out in his eyes are Ark, Mizzou, and UGA.
I read a post by a Maryland fan who was discussing their upcoming season and he stated that the Terps will not play us or UConn. I have no idea if that's correct, just passing along what I read.

Reactions: winloseortie

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
I read a post by a Maryland fan who was discussing their upcoming season and he stated that the Terps will not play us or UConn. I have no idea if that's correct, just passing along what I read.
That is a weird thought process of other programs if true. You don't get to the level of a South Carolina by winning games against inferior opponents. I would rather lose an early OOC game against South Carolina than lose to them in the tournament. You learn a lot about your ballclub and you have plenty of time to recover. You go out and win your conference and very few will remember that early loss. I guess some programs want to fool themselves into believing they are great until they have to play and it is proven otherwise.

debordieu cock

Joined Jun 2, 2000
Jan 20, 2022
That is a weird thought process of other programs if true. You don't get to the level of a South Carolina by winning games against inferior opponents. I would rather lose an early OOC game against South Carolina than lose to them in the tournament. You learn a lot about your ballclub and you have plenty of time to recover. You go out and win your conference and very few will remember that early loss. I guess some programs want to fool themselves into believing they are great until they have to play and it is proven otherwise.
HELLO...My name is Kim Mulkey.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Ohhhhh, I got skewered, and here we have been talking more positively about a LESS useful player.😁😁😁

Reactions: Goody and USCEDGE

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
Ohhhhh, I got skewered, and here we have been talking more positively about a LESS useful player.😁😁😁

You act like we're discussing trading cards. We're talking about human beings with free will, emotions and all that stuff. We can't just select the ones we want. Irafin wasn't coming here, just like Aneesha Morrow, Shayanne-Day Wilson, and Celeste Taylor didn't last year. And we actually recruited those 3. We did a-right without them, though. We might have to make do with just 11 5-star players this coming season.

USCEDGE

Joined Mar 5, 2019
Feb 5, 2022
I know you did. I wrote my comment to see if anyone could rationalize why Irafin was not acceptable and Dauda is just fine. I don't get it?

And Dark. I was not knocking your post. If I recall I think you may have been okay more or less with Irafin coming here if things had worked out even though she was a long shot. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

DarkCock

Joined Jan 21, 2006
Jan 30, 2022
I know you did. I wrote my comment to see if anyone would could rationalize why Irafin was not acceptable and Dauda is just fine. I don't get it?

And Dark. I was not knocking your post. If I recall I think you may have been okay more or less with Irafin coming here if things had worked out even though she was a long shot. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
Oh, no problem. We're all just giving our opinions here. As much as we may love it, it's still only a game.

When the internet rumor broke about the possible Irafin visit, I didn't give an opinion. Dawn has earned my trust, so if she was OK with it, then I wouldn't argued against it. I only offered my opinion after she committed to SoCal.

I think Dauda is more of a possibility because, in King Ward's words, she's "less useful." So perhaps she would be alright with a limited role. But I still think it's a long shot.

PFUNK Cock

Joined Mar 28, 2004 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 17, 2022
Damn folks 😂😂 We don’t handle to off-season well 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. It is like we are jonesing for a recruiting fix just to get us through the championship withdrawal. 😂😂 This is Middle School beef level on here. Yet somehow I can’t get enough 😂😂😂

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
You act like we're discussing trading cards. We're talking about human beings with free will, emotions and all that stuff. We can't just select the ones we want. Irafin wasn't coming here, just like Aneesha Morrow, Shayanne-Day Wilson, and Celeste Taylor didn't last year. And we actually recruited those 3. We did a-right without them, though. We might have to make do with just 11 5-star players this coming season.
The discussion actually turned theoretical after the player committed someplace else. Everyone should have taken it as such. It became about whether or not her addition would have been desirable and went along in that vein for awhile. So, theoretically, hypothetically, and in the abstract, those who wouldn't have wanted to add Kiki would seem to have no credible grounds for preferring a lesser talent as indicated by statistics. At least, it seems that way to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goody

winloseortie

Joined Feb 21, 2007
Feb 2, 2022
Damn folks 😂😂 We don’t handle to off-season well 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️. It is like we are jonesing for a recruiting fix just to get us through the championship withdrawal. 😂😂 This is Middle School beef level on here. Yet somehow I can’t get enough 😂😂😂
WBB Portal season turns Gamecock fans into 9 year old kids forced to watch some other child open his/her Christmas gifts.
The little brat shows his gift off and everyone oohs and aahs. We go, hey that’s pretty cool I want one!
We forget everyone else was watching us unwrap our gifts earlier, eating stale, crumbled store bought cookies and crying to their Daddy AD. “I want an Adhel Tac! How come they get a Madisen McDaniel! I didn’t know you could even get a TeHina Paopao 2.0! A limited edition autographed JOYCE EDWARDS! How come I Never get one of those?”

Last edited:

The Coast is Clear

Joined Nov 27, 2019 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 25, 2022
Having heard nothing on Sakima Walker, I assume she did not enter the portal?? If that is the case, she is either out of basketball for next year or a Gamecock? Would that be correct?

Edit: If she is back, I am pleased with that outcome.

KingWard

Feb 15, 2022
Having heard nothing on Sakima Walker, I assume she did not enter the portal?? If that is the case, she is either out of basketball for next year or a Gamecock? Would that be correct?

Edit: If she is back, I am pleased with that outcome.
People not jumping is good. It indicates a healthy program and a mutual desire for player and program to continue together. Either side could effect a divorce had one been desired.

Latest posts