2024 NCAA Championship Session II Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session II of the 2024 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 21, 7:00 pm EDT

Where:
T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO

TV:
ESPN

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but last year ESPN switched MatCast to ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. There is no pre-Session portion of the broadcast due to the weekly Coaches Show. Thus, Byers's coverage starts at 7 pm EDT, which is the same time as the start of the action.You can access the audio stream at:

The best places for tracking the team scoring race is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site, or TrackWrestling

Penn State Wrestling Club – wrestling lives here

pennstatewrestlingclub.org
pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for the entire session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Reactions: GregPickel

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Matches for PSU wrestlers in Session II

125 Championship R2: #1 seed Braeden Davis vs. #17 seed Brett Unger, Cornell

133 Consolation R1: #10 seed Aaron Nagao vs. #26 seed Kade Moore (Mizzou)

141 Championship R2: #2 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #15 seed Mitch Moore, Rutgers

149 Consolation R1: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #23 seed Drew Roberts (Minny)

157 Championship R2: #1 seed Levi Haines vs. #18 seed Teague Travis, (Okla. St.)

165 Championship R2: #2 seed Mitchell Messenbrink vs. #15 seed Brevin Castella (Binghampton)

174 Championship R2: #9 seed Carter Starocci vs. #8 seed Adam Kemp (Cal Poly)

184 Championship R2: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #11 seed Colton Hawks (Mizzou)

197 Championship R2: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #17 seed Joseph Novak (Wyoming)

285 Championship R2: #1 seed Greg Kirkvilet vs. #17 seed Grady Griess (Navy)

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I guess Cody Chittum (Iowa St) was the only higher seed to lose in R1 @ 157. As Basch indicates, there really are some great matchups at 157 in R2.

Reactions: hohmadw1978

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Un F* Believable

I'm getting ready for Session II, and I turn on ESPN -- something I've watched thousands of times. And what appears now:

"Sorry, we're having trouble connecting"

Of all the days to have an issue (and checking my TV, I can switch to pretty much any other channel and have no issues).

@GregPickel -- I'm going to have to see if I can stream it on another computer. I'll let you know if that works out, and I can do PBP

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Un F* Believable

I'm getting ready for Session II, and I turn on ESPN -- something I've watched thousands of times. And what appears now:

"Sorry, we're having trouble connecting"

Of all the days to have an issue (and checking my TV, I can switch to pretty much any other channel and have no issues).

@GregPickel -- I'm going to have to see if I can stream it on another computer. I'll let you know if that works out, and I can do PBP
Damn! That stinks. Sorry Tom. Keep me posted. I am here.

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
1-0 Davis after 2, Unger keeps going to his knees like Ayala

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
125: Braeden Davis vs. Brett Ungar, Cornell.

First period
The pair are feeling each other out a bit and trying to set shots up but nothing is cooking just yet. The fears about Davis' hands appear to be overblown. No wrap on it and no indication it's bothering him from my point of view. No score after one.

Second period
Davis is down to start. He turns in and is out for a 1-0 lead about 15 seconds into the period. Davis is the aggressor ever since but no scoring just yet. Second period ends with Davis up 1-0.

Third period
Ungar takes bottom. Ungar was nearly up once but Davis got him back to the mat and got legs in. As that was happening Ungar sat up, stood, and they went off the edge. Davis has 37 seconds of RT with 1:13 left. Ungar rolls, Davis goes with, almost caught Ungar, but did not, but Davis is now over 1:00 in riding time, and his ride continues with about 45 seconds left. and as Ungar stands, Davis drives him off the edge and gets hit with a stall warning, his first, with 29 seconds left. Ungar stands with 20 seconds left, Davis is trying to mat return, and Ungar is out with 10 seconds left to 1-1. Davis wins it with riding time. 1:41 of it, to be exact.

Davis d. Ungar, 2-1

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@GregPickel -- I got the stream to work; still can't get it to work on the TV. I think I'm good for PBP for the Championship round matches. I'll pass the 133 and the 149 matches to you.

Reactions: GregPickel

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
Fix vs Bouzakis. Scraping. How many seasons does this make for Fix?

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
@GregPickel -- I got the stream to work; still can't get it to work on the TV. I think I'm good for PBP for the Championship round matches. I'll pass the 133 and the 149 matches to you.
Tom, just an FYI for you and everyone else, I'm having some ESPN issues as well. I keep getting logged out. We should be good but if any other the PBP is abbreviated, that's because it logged me out yet again mid match. Fun!