2024 NCAA Championship Session II Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
285 Championship R2: #1 seed Greg Kirkvilet vs. #17 seed Grady Griess (Navy) -- I'll use GG

Per 1
Kerk with a quick TD, 3-0. He's got a good ride going, but not close to tilting him. RT goes over 1 min. OOB. Stall warning on GG, who isn't doing much and is flat. Stall call on GG makes it 4-0. RT @ 2:42 for Kerk

Per 2
Kerk takes bottom. He sits out and is away in 4 sec, 5-0. Kerk with a double for the TD, 8-0. RT goes over 3 min. Kerk throws in a boot, and flattens GG. End. RT @ 4:01 for Kerk

Per 3
GG takes bottom. He eventually gets up and out, in 29 sec, 8-1. RT is locked. 1 min left. Not a lotto O by other guy. With 4:01 in RT, it's a 9-1 MAJ for Kerk

NittPicker

Oct 7, 2021
Disappointing Session #1 with the Nagao and Kasak losses but Session #2 was great. 10-0 with nice bonus points. Cael's afternoon pep talk must have been awesome.

Nebraska having a nice tournament with seven in the quarterfinals.

Reactions: crwatso and KMAC41

OhioLion

Oct 12, 2021
Good day. However, can’t help thinking what could have been with this morning’s matches going the other way.

OL

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU matches Friday in Session III:

125: Championship Quarters: #1 seed Braeden Davis vs. #8 seed Richard Figueroa (ASU)

133: Consolation R2: #10 Aaron Nagao vs. #24 Julian Chlebove (ASU)

141: Championship Quarters: #2 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #26 seed Vance Vombaur (Minny)

149: Consolation R2: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #9 seed Ethan Fernandez (Cornell)

157: Championship Quarters: #1 seed Levi Haines vs. #8 seed Peyton Robb (Nebraska)

165: Championship Quarters: #2 seed Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #10 seed Cameron Amine (Michigan)

174: Championship Quarters: #9 seed Carter Starocci vs. #1 seed Mekhi Lewis (VT)

184: Championship Quarters: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #3 seed Dustin Plott (Okla. St.)

197: Championship Quarters: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #8 seed Stephen Buchanan (Oklahoma)

285: Championship Quarters: #1 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. #9 seed Nick Feldman (Ohio State)

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Is it my imagination, but are the ref’s out of position a lot to call pins. They are down by the guys feet. Seth’s match is a perfect example.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Team Scores at the end of Session II

1. PSU - 34.5
2. Iowa - 24.5
2. Iowa State - 24.5
4. Michigan - 22.0
4. NC State - 22.0
6. Nebraska - 21.0
7. Ohio State - 20.5
8. Cornell - 18.5
9. Virginia Tech - 17.5
10. Missouri - 14.0
10. Oklahoma State - 14.0

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Is it my imagination, but are the ref’s out of position a lot to call pins. They are down by the guys feet. Seth’s match is a perfect example.

It's not as easy as it may look. When wrestlers are on their feet refs want to be 90º from them. When a wrestler is on top, refs want to be in front of them if the bottom guy is not flattened, as most of their attention is on the top guy's hands to check for locked hands. When the guy on top has the bottom guy flattened, the ref moves closer but is still either in front or somewhere between 10 and 2 o'clock, as the ref is mostly looking for illegal holds or potentially dangerous. When the wrestlers are in a scramble, the refs are basically hung out to dry, as they have to watch for potentially dangerous, for locked hands, and for illegal holds, and scrambles can be in any and all directions. When a wrestler gets taken to his back, most of the time it's 180º from where the ref is (correctly). Plus, refs are taught to be further away from the wrestlers than most people realize, so that they can observe the big picture and also don't get hurt (especially by the big guys) when the wrestlers are rolling around. When a wrestler is taken to their back, refs try to anticipate where that's going to take place, and they move fast (sometimes even running) to get into position. In short, most of the time the refs were in position for the circumstances before the wrestler was taken to their back, and then may seem out of position but they're just reacting and moving into position as quickly as they can.

Last edited:

BruceK-PSU83

Oct 31, 2021
I think it's pretty clear that Cael made the right move two weeks ago at the B1G. He says he is 100% but he isn't wrestling like he is 100%. It's going to be a nail biter tomorrow against Lewis.
Starocci looked more like 65% of his normal self.

Seems pretty clear the game plan is for him to do no more than necessary to win, which I guess is understandable. Perhaps most concerning are the quick TDs he gave up in each bout Thursday, without offering much resistance.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I’ve noticed this and commented on it also. I’ve seen it a lot at the high school level this year also.

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
It seems some people will doom-and-gloom until Starocci loses, then be "woefully gleeful" ("It's terrible Starocci lost. He should've done ____________ to avoid the loss.') their unhappy prediction came true. This syndrome is the cousin of football Penn State Pessimism(TM).

I believe Starocci is wrestling wisely, knowing a win is a win is a win. Do we fans want him to generate bonus points? Yes. But any win points are better than a loss.

Reactions: Parks22 and WV lion