2024 NCAA Championship Session IV Thread

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Please use the thread for all pre-session, in-session, and post-session discussion for the Session IV of the 2024 NCAA Championships.

When:
March 21, 8:00 pm EDT

Where:
T-Mobile Center, Kansas City, MO

TV:
ESPN

Video Streaming:
ESPN+. Please note that this is the only way to get access to multiple mats. In past years, this was offered on ESPN3 (free to those that were ESPN subscribers), but last year ESPN switched MatCast to ESPN+, which is a subscription service.

Audio Streaming:
The radio PBP, with Jeff Byers at the mic, will be streamed for free. The pre-session aspect will start at 7:40 pm EDT, with the actual wrestling at 8 pm EDT. You can access the audio stream at:

The best places for tracking the team scoring race is the Penn State Wrestling Club web site, or TrackWrestling

Penn State Wrestling Club – wrestling lives here

pennstatewrestlingclub.org

pennstatewrestlingclub.org

PBP:
I'll be available for PBP for the entire session. @GregPickel will also be in the thread helping with PBP. Hopefully, several of you will also step forward and provide some analysis, or some comments on each match. As always, I remind you to please include the score for the match, or provide some context (wrestler, school, and weight class) beyond just "that's not a takedown." It also helps to give folks a heads up as to what mat a PSU wrestler will be wrestling on. You can usually get that info from Ironhead's audio PBP, from Penn State Wrestling's twitter account, or from TrackWrestling.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Team Scores at the end of Session III:

1. PSU - 86.5
2. Michigan - 50.5
3. Arizona St. - 44.5
4. Iowa St. - 42.0
5. Iowa - 41.5
6. Ohio St. - 36.0
7. Virginia Tech - 35.5
8. NC State - 33.5
9. Missouri - 33.0
9. Oklahoma St. - 33.0
11. Cornell - 32.5
12. Nebraska - 29.0

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
PSU wrestlers matches for Session IV:

125 Consolation R4: #1 seed Braeden Davis vs. #5 seed Jore Volk (Wyoming)

133 Consolation R4: #10 seed Aaron Nagao vs. #3 seed Kai Orine (NC State)

141 Championship Semifinal: #2 seed Beau Bartlett vs. #8 seed Lachlan McNeil (UNC)

149 Consolation R4: #7 seed Tyler Kasak vs. #3 seed Jackson Arrington (NC State)

157 Championship Semifinal: #1 seed Levi Haines vs. #12 seed Bryce Andonian (VT)

165 Championship Semifinal: #2 seed Mitchell Mesenbrink vs. #6 seed Mike Caliendo (Iowa)

174 Championship Semifinal: #9 seed Carter Starocci vs. #4 seed Shane Griffith (Michigan)

184 Consolation R4: #6 seed Bernie Truax vs. #10 seed Dylan Fishback (NC State)

197 Championship Semifinal: #1 seed Aaron Brooks vs. #12 Rocky Elam (Missouri)

285 Championship Semifinal: #1 seed Greg Kerkvliet vs. #4 seed Cohlton Schultz (ASU)

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
I'll tell you what, this is just an incredible run by a young man seeded 9th. If he can pull off the upset tonight against the #4 seed I will be impressed with how scrappy our guy has been. He really showed up to wrestle well above his seed in this tournament. You have to respect that.

henrymale

Oct 31, 2021
I'll tell you what, this is just an incredible run by a young man seeded 9th. If he can pull off the upset tonight against the #4 seed I will be impressed with how scrappy our guy has been. He really showed up to wrestle well above his seed in this tournament. You have to respect that.
Assuming you are referring to CS, I understand your point but if (when?) he beats #4 it really won't be an upset. To me, it would be an upset if he loses. Yes, he is seeded #9 but either officially or unofficially he is ranked #1.

psu0408

Oct 26, 2021
In punishing CS for defaulting out of Big Tens, the committee punished Mekhi Lewis, Kemp and Sparks. Lewis is the 2nd best wrestler at 174, but can’t finish higher than 3rd. 8 seed Kemp out of the tournament, may still be in it if he faced Wolak in R2.

BlueAndWhite86

Dec 5, 2023
I really do know they have eat and rest, but I’m ready to go. I want to see 10 All-Americans tonight.

Reactions: PSU87

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
All but two of the mat assignments are posted on Track

Davis vs Volk on mat #2
Nagao vs Orine on mat #6
Bartlett vs McNeil on mat #4
Haines vs Andonian on mat #3
Mesenbrink vs Caliendo on mat #4
Starocci vs Griffith on mat #3
Brooks vs Elam on mat #3
Kerkvliet vs Schultz mat #3

The round of 12 matches will be happening alongside the Semis

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
In punishing CS for defaulting out of Big Tens, the committee punished Mekhi Lewis, Kemp and Sparks. Lewis is the 2nd best wrestler at 174, but can’t finish higher than 3rd. 8 seed Kemp out of the tournament, may still be in it if he faced Wolak in R2.

Interesting thought. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
All but two of the mat assignments are posted on Track

Davis vs Volk on mat #2
Nagao vs Orine on mat #6
Bartlett vs McNeil on mat #4
Haines vs Andonian on mat #3
Mesenbrink vs Caliendo on mat #4
Starocci vs Griffith on mat #3
Brooks vs Elam on mat #3
Kerkvliet vs Schultz mat #3

The round of 12 matches will be happening alongside the Semis
6 mat setup. Consolations on outside 4 and championship round on middle two. Will move consolations to middle two once championship is done for second run through consolations. Mats 3 and 4 will be championship. The reason we don't see Kasak or Truax yet is because they will wait to assign until they see the length of other matches and no weight falls far behind. Semis will wait if one match ends early so that each weight starts at the same time.

Reactions: WV lion

JimC

Nov 11, 2021
Do I recall that, during this current run, PSU has clinched the team title on Friday night once or twice? Or did I dream that?

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
Do I recall that, during this current run, PSU has clinched the team title on Friday night once or twice? Or did I dream that?
I was thinking the same thing. Any chance they clinch tonight?

gimb14

May 3, 2022
I believe they have. I know they have saturday morning.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
Haven't been posting but appreciate all who have been weighing in. My youngest is running 3 TV's for me so I've been engrossed in all the action and not even listening to Byers that much. Very different experience for me this year, but my son and I are having a blast. He works during the day tomorrow so I might be fumbling around on my own.

The experience is great but sharing it with others is even better.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
While PSU may be on a different level this year, I see this as a very high level of parity across the college wrestling landscape.
The race for second was expected to be, and still is, really tight between a bunch of teams. 2-11 have 50.5-32.5 points

Reactions: Bob78

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
@GregPickel -- it seems possible that Nagao's match will start before Davis's match is completed. Thus, how about I handle Davis's match, and you do Nagao's match?