2024 NCAA Championship Session IV Thread

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
I’m telling ya. If our Coaches and mainly Donors can get Carter and Bartlett to return. We would absolutely Crush the points record mark. I want Cael and staff to own ALL the records when all is said and done. This folks is the opportunity. This Staff is deserving and so is our fan base. I’m assuming Kerk will be back. Hopefully Davis can make 125 one more year. He would be stronger.

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
“The night the Lions drove all others down” 🎶
(sung to the tune of ‘The night they drove ole Dixie down’ by The Band).
Levi Haines is the name and I wrestle on the Lions train
'Til Nationals finally came and we tore up the records again
In the winter of ‘24 we were hungry, and we wanted some more
By the end of March we had given em hell.
It's a time I remember, oh so well…
At this point the Penn State fans echo and wave their fingers singing ‘nah, nah nah nah, nah nah…’ indicating to all other fan bases that they don’t have any chance

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
It’s always amazing how much fresher these guys look than so many of the other competitors. They just got a look like “I’m ready to go again”. They are so well spoken and have such a fantastic frame of mind and outlook on life. They are Caels guys! They are blessed to being mentored by this coaching staff. Any parent would/should do whatever they can to get their kid under that tutoring for four/five years!

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
I’m telling ya. If our Coaches and mainly Donors can get Carter and Bartlett to return. We would absolutely Crush the points record mark. I want Cael and staff to own ALL the records when all is said and done. This folks is the opportunity. This Staff is deserving and so is our fan base. I’m assuming Kerk will be back. Hopefully Davis can make 125 one more year. He would be stronger.
Would you try, please try to give it a break today. Just for one day.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
Would you try, please try to give it a break today. Just for one day.
It’s exciting Tgar. Having a big get together this afternoon and evening. Looking for the finals time here. Found time 11am and 7am.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: lionlover

Psuproud

Nov 1, 2021
No need to throw money at Bartlett with Kasak being on the roster and I am really excited to see the progress Facundo has made after a very good freestyle run this year.

Dec 23, 2021
13-3, Arujau (Cornell) over Crookham (Lehigh)
I was very happy to see Arujau beat Crrookham. I'd love to put together a video of several guys, Crookham being one of them. Probably also Orine. Hell, even Bernie from the All Star Match. Guys who repeatedly back up to the edge of the circle before engaging. Then have a video comparing it to what I consider the BS "technical" stall call where legitimate action takes both guys to the edge and then 1 guy digs in an underhook or tries a body-lock and the opponent does the natural counter of attempting to separate and goes out of bounds.
The stalling calls or lack thereof on the edge would go a long way to improving the sport.
Maybe it is the wrestler-Ref combination experience in me, but it is often pretty damn obvious when a guy is avoiding action/fleeing in a great variety of situations. The change a couple years ago to really only call the situation when both guys are on their feet drives me nuts.
Crookham "stalled" his way to 2 tight wins in round 1 & 2 (retreating to edge repeatedly). I loved seeing Vito just take it too him and the deliberate action on his part to force Crookham to wrestle in the center of the mat!

Dec 23, 2021
Nice win for Kasak but I think I would have hit with a second stall call late in the 3rd
I was yelling at the TV. His back out at the edge with a lot of time still left made it way too easy. A second stall call was deserved. He did not wrestle a very smart final 50 seconds and is fortunate he won in regulation.

Dec 23, 2021
It looked like the ref did a one-count, then the wrestlers moved a bit. Beau reasserted the back position, and got two from the ref. Not sure the gap by the official was justified, but I think that is what happened.
Yes, they were 2 separate counts and my view based on the video is that he clearly left criteria after the first swipe. 1-count then a 2-count and thus only 2 NF points.

Dec 23, 2021
Hey, Tom, two questions for the off-season:

1) How does one wrestle offensively while on one's knees? Seen a few wrestlers this tournament use that as their go-to position. Seems much more defensive and thus (I would hope) open to stall calls.

2) Speaking of stalling, there seem to be some odd calls, especially on our guys when it seems they are being aggressive. What are the offensive conditions that might merit a stall call?

Many thanks in advance!
Stalling on top is really focused on whether your actions are with the intent to turn your opponent. Some classic things to look for:
1. If the bottom man is in his base, is the top man attempting to break him down from that base. That is usually the first step to turn a guy unless you are working for a cradle. Hooking a guys lower leg and sitting behind his hips "just riding" is classic sign of stalling.
2. If bottom man is broken down, are you working towards a pinning combination? This can appear a lot of different ways. Are you working on wrist control to expose an arm. Are you working a 2:1 for a tilt. Are you working a crossface for cradle or tilt. Are you working a bar or half nelson? Here is where it gets a little tricky. Say you get a bar or half, then just stay parallel (don't get out to the side to actually use it), that is a classic sign of stalling.
3. Having your guy broken down and laying on him parallel is classic sign. Kerk has been warned several times this year for this. He often only has 1 leg covered and in that situation almost never gets called. Having both legs covered and not working for anything is likely to draw the stalling call.
There are plenty of other things to consider, but those are the most obvious queues for an official.

gimb14

May 3, 2022
Please stop

Snide75

Oct 30, 2021
I think you should donate all of your earnings to the cause. Be the leader you were born to be Spice

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
“The night the Lions drove all others down” 🎶
(sung to the tune of ‘The night they drove ole Dixie down’ by The Band).
Levi Haines is the name and I wrestle on the Lions train
'Til Nationals finally came and we tore up the records again
In the winter of ‘24 we were hungry, and we wanted some more
By the end of March we had given em hell.
It's a time I remember, oh so well…
At this point the Penn State fans echo and wave their fingers singing ‘nah, nah nah nah, nah nah…’ indicating to all other fan bases that they don’t have any chance
🎶 Back with my team in Happy Valley
When one day they called to me
"Levi, quick, come see, here comes another trophy”
Now I don't mind sayin I could
Lift up the trophy cause the team is so good
We take what we need and we leave the rest
But they should never have doubted the very best

Tryingtodoitright

Oct 12, 2021
🎶 Back with my team in Happy Valley
When one day they called to me
"Levi, quick, come see, here comes another trophy”