2024 NCAA Wrestling Transfer Portal thread

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
Wonder if Michigan will turn Hamiti into a Lewan, Amine or other boring as hell, defense-only wrestler, or if they're hoping he can teach others in that room that shooting is OK??
I was thinking the exact same thing. Michigan is the school where wrestlers are taught to avoid taking shots at all costs. Play for OT and win the riding time by a second or two.

StickEm

Oct 30, 2021
Nagao already redshirted. Could he lose his spot? Of course. But I do think the most likely outcome here is Davis redshirts a year to prep for 133, this is Nagao's last at 133, and Liledahl slots in at 125. We'll see. There's always the possibility of Howard finally getting healthy, of course, though those are long odds, I know.
Pretty sure Nagao has 2 years of eligibility remaining. I can’t see him going up to 141.

Both Lilledahl and Davis have redshirts available. We’re in a good place with depth and multiple redshirt options.

Last edited:

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Tom, if you linked something, it’s showing up as “not found”.

OL

lol. It was a tweet by Chase. He's since deleted it, so that's why the link is coming up as "not found."

I don't remember the exact words, but it was something like "Apparently, I'm now a traitor." And then it had a clip from one of the Star Wars movies, where Anakin Skywalker appears through the fog, but he's already turned against the Jedi Order, and is on the path to becoming Darth Vader.

Last edited:

Rock-man

Nov 27, 2021
lol. It was a tweet by Chase. He's since deleted it, so that why the link is coming up as "not found."

I don't remember the exact words, but it was something like "Apparently, I'm now a traitor." And then it had a clip from one of the Star Wars movies, where Anakin Skywalker appears through the fog, but he's already turned against the Jedi Order, and is on the path to becoming Darth Vader.
If anyone is interested - here's the eligibility track from Flo - https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/12372504-2024-ncaa-wrestling-championship-eligibility-tracker - they break it down by weight class

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
I was thinking the exact same thing. Michigan is the school where wrestlers are taught to avoid taking shots at all costs. Play for OT and win the riding time by a second or two.
I disagree, but understand your position. They have had a number of guys who just won't shoot. Will Lewan is one but you can hear the staff begging him to shoot. The Family bred defensive wrestlers. Raguson brings it. So did Mason Paris.

Okie State has had more then their share of guys who did nothing......yet John Smith was an attack guy. It is great when he announces for the Olympics because he is wanting our team to go score.

The issue is by the time a guy is in his last year of college, he isn't changing how he wrestles all that much.

NavyBlue

Nov 5, 2021
I disagree, but understand your position. They have had a number of guys who just won't shoot. Will Lewan is one but you can hear the staff begging him to shoot. The Family bred defensive wrestlers. Raguson brings it. So did Mason Paris.

Okie State has had more then their share of guys who did nothing......yet John Smith was an attack guy. It is great when he announces for the Olympics because he is wanting our team to go score.

The issue is by the time a guy is in his last year of college, he isn't changing how he wrestles all that much.
Amin is another who won't shoot, DeAugistino (I don't remember if he stalled entire matches at Northwestern, but he did at Michigan). Even Griffith became more timid once he transferred.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
here is my wish list.
Crookham if Bartlett can’t get to 33
Bennett Berge if Carter doesn’t come back although doesn’t matter Facundo 74 and barr 84
If Kirk leaves Nathan Taylor 1 year and let the twins redshirt with Cochran going 197.
None of these guys are leaving their current schools. Also Berge will never see 174 outside of Stillwater.

Unless Kerk doesn't return -- and all indications are that he will -- the only transfer that seems at least somewhat likely is at 197. And then Cael would be looking at a 1-yr rental, because Connor Mirasola is too good to sit after a shirt.

One name to watch: Cornell 197 Jacob Cardenas. He's not yet in the portal but is graduating with 1 year left, and has publicly said he intends to use that year. That means he's gonna grad transfer somewhere. He's a 2x AA, finished 4th this year, and is from NJ. If he's interested in PSU, Cael will likely listen.

Also, if Kerk doesn't return, they might tell Cochran to eat. HWT is not terribly strong outside the very best guys -- plus 3 AAs graduate and Cochran handily beat another one. With another 15-20 lb (plus not cutting), he could have a real shot at the podium.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
None of these guys are leaving their current schools. Also Berge will never see 174 outside of Stillwater.

Unless Kerk doesn't return -- and all indications are that he will -- the only transfer that seems at least somewhat likely is at 197. And then Cael would be looking at a 1-yr rental, because Connor Mirasola is too good to sit after a shirt.

One name to watch: Cornell 197 Jacob Cardenas. He's not yet in the portal but is graduating with 1 year left, and has publicly said he intends to use that year. That means he's gonna grad transfer somewhere. He's a 2x AA, finished 4th this year, and is from NJ. If he's interested in PSU, Cael will likely listen.

Also, if Kerk doesn't return, they might tell Cochran to eat. HWT is not terribly strong outside the very best guys -- plus 3 AAs graduate and Cochran handily beat another one. With another 15-20 lb (plus not cutting), he could have a real shot at the podium.
If Kerk returns, why can’t Cochran fill in the 197 slot?

Reactions: SRATH

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
He can, but not sure you can expect an AA finish from him. The bar at psu is set pretty high.
Beat me to it. Maybe Cochran can make the podium, but his record suggests he's not there yet:
- 2024: 1-2 against 197 NQs this year. Lost 20-6 to Beard, lost 13-6 to Cardenas, beat 31-seed Kinsey 17-3.
- 2023: 2-2 vs 197 NQs. None of those guys have ever made the podium.

There are very few potential 1-yr upgrades at 197. We don't need one, and so I doubt Cael will aggressively pursue one, but he'll likely listen if one calls.

J.E.B

Oct 30, 2021
Cardenas has to leave Cornell if he is using his extra year. He’d fit. Beard?

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Cardenas has to leave Cornell if he is using his extra year. He’d fit. Beard?
The Beard rumor has been out there for a few years, but I can’t see that happening at this point. We will see.

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
If Kerk is back, then 197 ( with Luke ) might be described as the weakest link in an otherwise stellar line-up. Cardenas would fit nicely, but I am not sure I would push any money that way to make it happen.

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Updated list from InterMat:

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Updated list from InterMat:

Anyone have an opinion as to the impact of the Martinsons from Iowa being in the portal? Were either penciled into the Hawkeye starting/first back-up rotation?

ElDuce

Oct 29, 2022
It we had to dip into the portal......like it was a must.....gun to head......
1712166823287.png

Reactions: gslachta

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Anyone have an opinion as to the impact of the Martinsons from Iowa being in the portal? Were either penciled into the Hawkeye starting/first back-up rotation?
Our On3 sister site at Iowa did not seem to think so:

GregPickel

Staff member
Sep 20, 2021
Probably ends up at Michigan. Academics matter, I think he has two degrees already. UM's HWT is done, I believe, he was a one year rental anyway.
Social media chatter is saying he will end up at Michigan, yep. It makes sense.

Latest posts