2024 Penn State WR Situation

PSUJam

Oct 7, 2021
His track record wrt offensive coaches is terrible. JoMo returned to earth once everyone figured out that Saquon Barkley, Gesicki, Godwin, and McSorley were the reasons for his success. Ciarocca (SP?) and Yurcich (SP?) also terrible. Lots of success on the D though. Does he meddle more on the O? Something is wrong.....
I think you answered your own question. Get better players like the 4 you mentioned and then coaches don't suck.

Reactions: bbrown and LB99

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
I think you answered your own question. Get better players like the 4 you mentioned and then coaches don't suck.

I don't blame the coaches for the players or lack thereof; Franklin has landed a bunch of well thought of WR's. They just haven't worked out. Washington, Dotson, Robinson, and Godwin were/are notable exceptions.

Reactions: Bison13

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
His track record wrt offensive coaches is terrible. JoMo returned to earth once everyone figured out that Saquon Barkley, Gesicki, Godwin, and McSorley were the reasons for his success. Ciarocca (SP?) and Yurcich (SP?) also terrible. Lots of success on the D though. Does he meddle more on the O? Something is wrong.....
You overlooked the vaunted John Donovan.

• Haha
Reactions: Midnighter

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
Let’s turn your question around. Suppose you have son who is a 4 or 5 star WR in high school. Why on earth would your son consider Penn State instead of the numerous other available options? Unless it is a legacy situation, the other options are much better than Penn State.

I think the root cause of the WR recruiting challenges is directly related to the disastrous offensive coordinators Franklin has hired. Donovan, Ciarrocca, and Yurcich were fired for their horrendous offense. Rahne was nudged out the door after 2 near disastrous years and that abominable 4th and 5 run play that gave the game to Ohio State 27-26 in 2018. Moorhead was a terrific hire by Franklin. So, basically 60% (excluding Kotelnicki) of the hired offensive coordinators have been fired. Not exactly the kind of results that high-end WR recruits would find appealing.
Ciarocca never got a fair shake with a Covid season. JF thought he was trading up with MY. He got a lemon.

Last edited:

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I don't blame the coaches for the players or lack thereof; Franklin has landed a bunch of well thought of WR's. They just haven't worked out. Washington, Dotson, Robinson, and Godwin were/are notable exceptions.
Allen Robinson was not at PSU when Franklin got there.

Reactions: Ironman2

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Oh, we've had some really good receivers; those you've noted and look at Allen Robinson who was a 3* and probably the best receiver we've had this century, But guys like Shorter, Juwan Johnson, Irvin Charles, Saeed Blacknall, Daniel George, John Dunmore - all 4* or better - didn't live up to their ranking at all. And I'll add, we didn't recruit ANY WR's in 2013 or 2016.
Not completely accurate. First, the 2013 recruiting class was under O’Brien, not Franklin and it included DaeSean Hamilton. Hamilton is the career receptions and single game receptions all time leader at PSU. He is top 3 in most other categories, as well, so not too shabby for a 3 star recruit. The 2016 class included Dae’lun Darien, who really didn’t contribute at all. We’ve had some pretty good WRs. Hamilton is proof, as well as the others mentioned like Hamler, Dotson, Godwin, and Washington. How they have been used, at times, is questionable.

Reactions: Bison13

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021
Not completely accurate. First, the 2013 recruiting class was under O’Brien, not Franklin and it included DaeSean Hamilton. Hamilton is the career receptions and single game receptions all time leader at PSU. He is top 3 in most other categories, as well, so not too shabby for a 3 star recruit. The 2016 class included Dae’lun Darien, who really didn’t contribute at all. We’ve had some pretty good WRs. Hamilton is proof, as well as the others mentioned like Hamler, Dotson, Godwin, and Washington. How they have been used, at times, is questionable.

I wasn’t limiting my post to Franklin-era only recruits. Speaking in general. But noted I did include Robinson as a ‘notable exception’ for Franklin when it should have been in general.

Reactions: LB99

Midnighter

Oct 7, 2021

Also, Darien and Hamilton listed as ‘ATH’ per Rivals when recruited.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Franklin is in a no win situation with some. Recruit 3 stars and get criticized for not getting the top level recruits. Get the 4 and 5 stars and get criticized for them not developing.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
Is he responsible for global warming too? See my other post about the defense’s total collapse against OSU in the last few minutes of that game. Lost to Michigan a few years back on a simple crossing pattern to a TE thrown 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage which he took to the house. Franklin has his faults like all other coaches but the simple minded blaming him for everything is beyond tiresome.
How would you an @marshall23 like to be properly acknowledged going forward.....Franklin Fan Boys or Franklinatics?

It's important to get preferred labels correct.

BW Lion

Oct 14, 2021
JF thought he was trading up with MY. He got a lemon.
Franklin might have had a decent OC in Yurcich, but he interjected himself into the equation and fvkked things up in the process.

I don't blame Yurcich for what he did and I'm interested to see how long the new OC lasts. If Franklin keeps fvvking with the offense, the new OC will be gone by season's end.

Reactions: BedfordNJTX

Bvillebaron

Oct 12, 2021
Given how the offense improved after Yurcich was fired maybe he should “meddle” more with the offense.

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Franklin is in a no win situation with some. Recruit 3 stars and get criticized for not getting the top level recruits. Get the 4 and 5 stars and get criticized for them not developing.
Simple solution. Recruit 4 and 5 stars and develop them.

BobPSU92

Oct 12, 2021
Simple solution. Recruit 4 and 5 stars and develop them.

Why should Franklin take the easy way out and do what everyone else is doing? I like to see Franklin being original, even if it doesn’t deliver the desired deserved results.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
Why should Franklin take the easy way out and do what everyone else is doing? I like to see Franklin being original, even if it doesn’t deliver the desired deserved results.
Franklin being original?

PSUSignore

Oct 25, 2021
Franklin might have had a decent OC in Yurcich, but he interjected himself into the equation and fvkked things up in the process.

I don't blame Yurcich for what he did and I'm interested to see how long the new OC lasts. If Franklin keeps fvvking with the offense, the new OC will be gone by season's end.
So many fans love to parrot this opinion without an iota of evidence whether it's true.

marshall23

Oct 7, 2021
If Franklin won a NATTY. o_O , the OUTRAGE. o_O here would be EPIC. o_O .

“Sh|t. Franklin won a national championship. Now we’re stuck with him.” 🤬
"This doesn't absolve him of
1. Not having a backup QB ready at Iowa
2. Losing in OT to Illinois
3. Blowing a lead late at OSU
4. Generally getting in the way of our destiny....we deserved better.
5. Finally, WE WON this it spite of him."- BWICAC

WSTLion87

Oct 10, 2021
Overall James has done a solid job. We have 10 and 11 win seasons. The players are never in trouble off the field. Once again Lift for Life and THON were new records. Instead of rejecting his contributions to PSU Football we should embrace them. If we miss the CFP this season and 2025 then, I may become a naysayer. Until then let's get behind our coaching staff and this team.

blion72

Oct 30, 2021
Overall James has done a solid job. We have 10 and 11 win seasons. The players are never in trouble off the field. Once again Lift for Life and THON were new records. Instead of rejecting his contributions to PSU Football we should embrace them. If we miss the CFP this season and 2025 then, I may become a naysayer. Until then let's get behind our coaching staff and this team.
I support JF and the staff, and they very much emulate JoePa and the Penn State tradition even when it hurts the team. High values and personal development.

Like many on this forum I don't always like some of the game time decisions like gong on 4th down in some situations.

The game is a lot different now than when Joe won MNC.

Mr. Potter

Oct 18, 2021
I think if Parker Washington stayed last year this team would have made the playoffs. He would have created so much more for the run game.

Dec 24, 2021
Until proven otherwise, Franklin is by far the worst head coach in all of football. He is an embarrassment to the university.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
I think if Parker Washington stayed last year this team would have made the playoffs. He would have created so much more for the run game.
Parker was a really good WR and having him leave early surely hurt. He had some good games with the Jags towards the end of the season. I wish him well.

Reactions: Bison13 and bbrown

pamdlion

Dec 2, 2021
Parker was a really good WR and having him leave early surely hurt. He had some good games with the Jags towards the end of the season. I wish him well.
I liked him but not sure how much he would have helped. Wasn’t going to stretch the field.

Reactions: bbrown