2024 Pittsburgh Pirates Thread

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
The Pirates have built a solid team that will be a 'tough out' for any team, as long as they stay healthy. Not a lot of depth with this pitching staff.

Could be a fun season!
Should be an interesting season if nothing else. Looking forward to seeing the 22 year old rookie starter today. He was throwing around 100mph with decent placement most of this spring.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I'll start to pay attention when. they have 3 wins... in the World Series.

I used to be a Pirates fan, but was not treated well more than a few times and the team has been pretty terrible for the last 30+ years (with some rare exceptions).

Thorndike2021

Oct 12, 2021
I'm old enough to remember a LOT of great Pirates teams, WS victories, etc. Been a rough patch, but the Bucs are young and, with some seasoning, will be a group that will give some teams fits this season. When the pieces all come together (next season?) they might just be a team to take very seriously. This GM and coach are building a winner.

And the city will come out for this team. Pittsburgh loves their Stillers, but it has always been a baseball town.

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
I'm old enough to remember a LOT of great Pirates teams, WS victories, etc. Been a rough patch, but the Bucs are young and, with some seasoning, will be a group that will give some teams fits this season. When the pieces all come together (next season?) they might just be a team to take very seriously. This GM and coach are building a winner.

And the city will come out for this team. Pittsburgh loves their Stillers, but it has always been a baseball town.
Like you, I still favor baseball. But, I think we might be in the minority. Like most cities, Pittsburgh is a winners town more than anything else. In fact, there is a certain element in this town that would sooner see the Pirates continue to lose.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
You can convert this into a Pirates season thread. I've encouraged that in the past, and @Glov did it a few years. Just change the Subject line, and then those of you that are Pirates fans can update it during the season.

GrimReaper

Oct 12, 2021
The never say die Pittsburgh Pirates, down 5-0 in the first, battle back to win 9-7 in 10 innings. 4-0!

View attachment 549548

cac@PSU

Oct 15, 2021
Hannah Mears, a PSU grad, has been added to Pirate broadcast team for pre and post game interviews

Tgar

Oct 13, 2021
And the bottom of the ninth is going to set up nicely. Everybody hitting today.

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Way!

Here's an interesting article, to me. His thoughts are nearly identical to mine on the subject. I love my Stillers, but the Bucs will always be #2 in my heart after our Nittany Lions.

Is Pittsburgh Still a Baseball Town? - Pittsburgh Quarterly
The embers of the glory days of Pirate baseball smoulder, but a spark still remains. It wouldn't take much for that spark to burn again. Perhaps this is the year. If it happens fans will return in droves.

saturdaysarebetter

Jun 28, 2018
In 2013, in the Pirates first playoff game since 1992, the crowd dressed in all black and the town was abuzz as the Pirates defeated Cincinnati in the wild card game, "Cueto. Cueto. Cueto." While attending a Steelers game I spoke to a long-time usher who said he worked that night as an usher at PNC Park and he's never heard a crowd, any crowd, with that non-stop buzz from start to finish of a game.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
In 2013, in the Pirates first playoff game since 1992, the crowd dressed in all black and the town was abuzz as the Pirates defeated Cincinnati in the wild card game, "Cueto. Cueto. Cueto." While attending a Steelers game I spoke to a long-time usher who said he worked that night as an usher at PNC Park and he's never heard a crowd, any crowd, with that non-stop buzz from start to finish of a game.

That was a really fun team. It was a perfect mix of youth and veterans and Hurdle’s optimism was infectious to them.

Reactions: Bison13

Nits74

Oct 19, 2021
Here is why not to be too optimistic. If Mitch Keller is the staff "ace", the Bucs are going nowhere. If one looks at his stats from Memorial day forward last season and the first two starts this year, there is ample reason for alarm. I thought it then and still believe that signing him to a long term $15M contract was ill advised.

Reactions: LB99 and fairgambit

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Here is why not to be too optimistic. If Mitch Keller is the staff "ace", the Bucs are going nowhere. If one looks at his stats from Memorial day forward last season and the first two starts this year, there is ample reason for alarm. I thought it then and still believe that signing him to a long term $15M contract was ill advised.
I trust your judgment here. You know a lot more about this team than I do.

Latest posts