2024 PSU Men's Baseball Thread

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
The Referines have come to Omaha!! Two calls that PSU challenged that should have been overturned weren't. The first one was a HBP that was called a foul ball and the 2nd was a bang-bang at first between the pitcher covering and the baserunner where the pitcher's foot came down 1/8th of a step before the runner's. As it turned out, the 2nd one ended with a 'ball don't like' 6-4-3 DP on the next pitch.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
Nice win. This is a fun team to watch. I hadn’t really followed along until recently. I heard two interviews with Gambino the last few days. I really like him. Good demeanor and I like his enthusiasm for the program and the conference. Cecere is a really good player. Great defense and hot bat.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
Note the change to the time of the game. It was previously scheduled for 3 pm EDT on Sunday.

LionsAndBears

Oct 13, 2021
Tomorrow will be strength on strength as Nebraska has the best Pitching Staff in the B1G, while Penn State is the best hitting team. It's gonna be fun. Anyone know who's pitching for Nebraska tomorrow and what to expect?

COYSGBR

May 5, 2022
Tomorrow will be strength on strength as Nebraska has the best Pitching Staff in the B1G, while Penn State is the best hitting team. It's gonna be fun. Anyone know who's pitching for Nebraska tomorrow and what to expect?
I think the belief is that we will start Jackson Brockett. He is consistently, inconsistent. Didn't pitch much at beginning of the year because coming back from a serious injury. He than threw a no-hitter against Kansas St. in a midweek game and became our Sunday starter on the weekend. He has been shaky last two starts - only lasting two innings in Mich St. series and getting rocked against Ohio St in game 1 of the B1G tournament. Just depends on what Jackson Brockett you get that day.

Last edited:

fairgambit

Oct 12, 2021
Nebraska favored in Vegas on run line at -1.5 and on moneyline at -200. Penn state on moneyline at +154. Over/under is 13.5 runs.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
On the board in the first after Nebraska stupidly tried to pick a runner off 2nd with the bases loaded and 2 out (where's he gonna go?). But PSU leaves them loaded in the first after not sending the runner from 2nd on a base hit to RF.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Big save in the 4th as Nebraska puts runners on 1st and 3rd with 0 out but Luensmann induces a popup to short and then Big Red fails to execute the squeeze with a popup DP.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Still PSU 1-0, bottom of 4th. I turned it on just in time to see a double play off a suicide squeeze, lol.

Reactions: BVSt.Paul

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
Huskers finally on the board with a solo shot to RF. Tied at 1 thru 6 1/2.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
And that slow tag comes back to bite them as Nebraska doubles in the runner from 2nd with 2 out in the top of the 9th. 2-1 Red.

CDLionFL

Oct 25, 2021
The conference pitcher of the year shuts it down in the bottom of the 9th and Red wins 2-1. A great pitcher's duel throughout and it's just unfortunate that PSU failed to get any more home after having the bases loaded in the 1st. Great run through the tournament and maybe that gives the program a jump start to future success.

LB99

Oct 27, 2021
The conference pitcher of the year shuts it down in the bottom of the 9th and Red wins 2-1. A great pitcher's duel throughout and it's just unfortunate that PSU failed to get any more home after having the bases loaded in the 1st. Great run through the tournament and maybe that gives the program a jump start to future success.
Gambino said yesterday that low scoring games weren’t the strength of this team and he was right.

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Gambino said yesterday that low scoring games weren’t the strength of this team and he was right.
The pitch immediately previous to the Nebraska double that drove in the winning run was an oh so close pitch just outside, called a ball that otherwise would have been strike three. I’m letting this bother me. (It looked to be the correct call but I’ve seen a million pitches placed just like that get called strikes.)

Reactions: LB99 and Bison13

bdgan

Oct 12, 2021
Needed to make that tag at 2nd quicker on the steal attempt.
Pitch was a slow braking ball that the catcher had to go down and get. He threw it from his knees and did well to be that close.

IMO the problem was the 3-2 pitch were Nebraska doubled in the go ahead run. It hung right over the middle of the plate. Some times you have to do that and take your chances but in this case 1st base was open. Make the batter chase or move on to the next hitter. Of course that's easy to say.

Reactions: LionJim

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Pitch was a slow braking ball that the catcher had to go down and get. He threw it from his knees and did well to be that close.

IMO the problem was the 3-2 pitch were Nebraska doubled in the go ahead run. It hung right over the middle of the plate. Some times you have to do that and take your chances but in this case 1st base was open. Make the batter chase or move on to the next hitter. Of course that's easy to say.
The announcers were talking about maybe walking that batter after the steal.

Reactions: bdgan