3-Star TX Running Back DeAnthony Gatson Decommits From USC

ScottSchrader

WeAreSC Staff
Staff member
Aug 21, 2021

JCakus

Aug 29, 2017
SS, was this a case of Gatson cooling on USC or the other way around?

mngtscrwdup

Sep 30, 2017
No big problem. There might be a couple defections along the way. It is real tough for recruits to stay committed to a program with so many questions in the coaching staff. But I can guarantee there are some recruits that are starting to look at USC now that didnt want to touch it with Helton in charge. It all depends upon whether USC wins.

I'm almost sure Jaxson will be the starter this week. If I am Donte I would want to give Jaxson as much playing time as possible before we hit Notre Dame, Utah, UCLA, ASU and BYU. Slovis is not the QB he could have been. This is on Harrell for not developing him properly.

TrojanFireHorse12

Aug 24, 2017
No big problem. There might be a couple defections along the way. It is real tough for recruits to stay committed to a program with so many questions in the coaching staff. But I can guarantee there are some recruits that are starting to look at USC now that didnt want to touch it with Helton in charge. It all depends upon whether USC wins.

I'm almost sure Jaxson will be the starter this week. If I am Donte I would want to give Jaxson as much playing time as possible before we hit Notre Dame, Utah, UCLA, ASU and BYU. Slovis is not the QB he could have been. This is on Harrell for not developing him properly.
Wait...wait but you want Harrell to gain control over Dart. Given what happened to Slovis? who also destroyed Wazzu?

Reactions: Hockey10

Canyon.usc

Aug 24, 2017

Dam, losing this kid is a set back. Rated a 3 star, he's a 4 star RB in my book. Really wanted Gatson, what a downer. Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:

DJ4SC

Aug 24, 2017
What we need more is some 4 and 5 star linemen. This is where the game is won or lost. A good line can make anyone look good. Harrell and Helton went after skilled positions but forgot about how important a good line was to make his offense effective.
We seem to have suffered from this dilemma since Kiff.

SCnAZ

Aug 24, 2017
I feel bad for him, but good riddance. Our online is our weakness and we know it.

Pudly76

Jan 31, 2018
The weakness is the OC. Better OC, Better scheme equals better Oline play. Only reason GH runs the ball is to say he did. Oline needs to improve for sure but the system itself won’t allow for it. Run game is without purpose and it shows.
Nice to see you’ve joined us…

Reactions: Trojanman45

Bigmac51

Aug 30, 2017
The weakness is the OC. Better OC, Better scheme equals better Oline play. Only reason GH runs the ball is to say he did. Oline needs to improve for sure but the system itself won’t allow for it. Run game is without purpose and it shows.
Good to see you here Tman- you are 100% correct.

Reactions: Trojanman45
Sep 7, 2021
Let’s see, we ran the ball for 48 yards. Of course a RB is going to decommit b/c it’s the same offense as last year with no running game

Reactions: Hockey10

qqqqqqqman

Aug 24, 2017
He played at the same high school with Darwin Barlow, probably sees him gimpy and buried on a depth chart with no running game. Not a good look.

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

2blkk

Aug 24, 2017

Mal-practice

Reactions: HB Trojan

MongoSlade

Aug 24, 2017
Serious question just to understand the process. Why would an O-lineman sign up to come play for SC see how poor the OC is? Do the overall benefits of the school outweigh the poor schemes or do recruits simply bank on the guy may be gone before they graduate? Btw, all game long I kept posting the question, “why don’t they try running to the left side?”

Reactions: TrojanFireHorse12

SCBoogie

Nov 30, 2018
This class is going to go thru a variety of changes, so many tweeks over the next 3 months. Nothing to worry about until December. Win and we will do extremely well. Gatson is not a high prioority in my opinion. Average at best on a team that runs the ball average at best. I do wish him well as he is not a bad guy. Will root for him wherever he ends up.

Reactions: AMLTrojan

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
What we need more is some 4 and 5 star linemen. This is where the game is won or lost. A good line can make anyone look good. Harrell and Helton went after skilled positions but forgot about how important a good line was to make his offense effective.
Just a couple of comments about the OL. First, when it comes to recruiting rankings, there are very few 5* OL in the entire country, compared to many skill position players. Take a look at any service that ranks recruits - less than 10 5* in the entire country. 4* are very good, as are many 3*. OL in high school is like developing OL in college - you are trying to project how good a player is going to be early in their development. Look at Frank Martin - I believe a 4* that had offers at many places but really has never developed into more than a back-up. Great guy, looked like he would be great, but didn't turn out as strong a player as one would have expected. I don't think Helton/Harrell didn't want more OL, but I think they weren't successful at it because either they didn't effectively recruit them or they got unlucky with some of the kids that were billed as being future stars. I do think we have some kids at OL who are going to be very good - Monheim, Ford, Murphy, Milek, Dedich, Collier, Gibbs, and Buchanon. Good coaching can make them very good to great players. Turnover in coaching the OL has been a big problem.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Serious question just to understand the process. Why would an O-lineman sign up to come play for SC see how poor the OC is? Do the overall benefits of the school outweigh the poor schemes or do recruits simply bank on the guy may be gone before they graduate? Btw, all game long I kept posting the question, “why don’t they try running to the left side?”
And why do they keep running sideline to sideline, what happened to running north and south?

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Mal-practice
This is the same crap I read on this board about JT. Overrated, couldn't handle the college game, regressed (as an early season soph). How quickly we forget how good Kedon is and how quickly we forgot how good JT was. Watch JT with Georgia sometime and see how "bad" he is. How about placing the blame where it should be - Kedon has not been coached well by Harrell and he's been a victim of a goofy offense.

J4SC75

Aug 24, 2017
Amen, brother!!

TroyBill

Aug 24, 2017
Just a couple of comments about the OL. First, when it comes to recruiting rankings, there are very few 5* OL in the entire country, compared to many skill position players. Take a look at any service that ranks recruits - less than 10 5* in the entire country. 4* are very good, as are many 3*. OL in high school is like developing OL in college - you are trying to project how good a player is going to be early in their development. Look at Frank Martin - I believe a 4* that had offers at many places but really has never developed into more than a back-up. Great guy, looked like he would be great, but didn't turn out as strong a player as one would have expected. I don't think Helton/Harrell didn't want more OL, but I think they weren't successful at it because either they didn't effectively recruit them or they got unlucky with some of the kids that were billed as being future stars. I do think we have some kids at OL who are going to be very good - Monheim, Ford, Murphy, Milek, Dedich, Collier, Gibbs, and Buchanon. Good coaching can make them very good to great players. Turnover in coaching the OL has been a big problem.
I agree on some of your points. However, when you do not develop these lineman teaching them the fundamentals of not only pass blocking and run blocking we get what have seen for the last 6 years. One thing is obvious, when we were great we had more effective blocking on the line. If these guys back in the day were not 5 stars they had coaching that developed their technique. I know Oregon, UCLA, and Stanford during this time and most recently did not have a bunch of 5 stars nor 4 stars. We have been pushed around like I have never seen our team has. The solution from what I have seen is open up competition again for starting positions and concentrate heavily on developing line play. Do whatever it takes.....compete. If our line is good perhaps it is the offensive scheme that is the problem. The offense has to be tailored to the personnel and not the other way around. Many coaches make the mistake of trying to put a circular peg into a square hole. Conversely, if you are set on running a certain offense you need to recruit people who are best suited to run it. This is not easy.

BlackLeftLeft

Aug 21, 2019
This is the same crap I read on this board about JT. Overrated, couldn't handle the college game, regressed (as an early season soph). How quickly we forget how good Kedon is and how quickly we forgot how good JT was. Watch JT with Georgia sometime and see how "bad" he is. How about placing the blame where it should be - Kedon has not been coached well by Harrell and he's been a victim of a goofy offense.
Lazy take. Different situations. Different players.

JT is the "same" guy he was here. Georgia's defense is driving them, not the talent of JT Daniels. No one misses JT at QB. More people have contemplated how the team would be with Young or Corral than with JT.

Note how any discussion of Kedon always involves 2019. Then they pivot to him being all conference in a poor league as far as QB talent in a 6 game season. The tape doesn't lie. If he was that dude the interim wouldn't be publicly open to replacing him after one game out due to injury.

And this not a defense of Scam Harrell.

Reactions: TroyBill

Petey Rob

Aug 24, 2017
And why do they keep running sideline to sideline, what happened to running north and south?
I was at the game in Pullman and I told my uncle(a UW Husky) before the game, "Watch, all we do is run sideways. We never run downhill under any circumstances.".

We proceeded to put on a 60 minute clinic for exactly what I mentioned to him.

Reactions: MarcKulkin

PapaSmurf

Dec 14, 2019
Why they don’t run to the Left side is above my pay scale. They can get elite lineman. It’s all in the product that’s put on the field. Pass pro all game without a chance to grind on an opp is not ideal.

Latest posts