AAU re-admission

Husker.Wed._rivals

All-Conference
Feb 13, 2004
17,707
3,783
98
So a group called the American Association of University Professors (AAUP) sent a letter to the Association of American Universities (AAU) saying NU should be denied re-admission to the prestigious AAU organization. As you recall after being a member for a hundred years the board voted us out with Michigan casting the deciding expel vote. UNL has gone to great lengths to get invited back and I think we are almost there, now this. The ringleader, a Rutgers journalism professor objected to UNL cutting four departments such as Fashion Design.

I hate these bleeding hearts sticking their noses into NU's financial business. Being as he lives in New Jersey he has no concept of citizens of a state becoming outraged over property taxes. Another good reason to hang 70 on Rutgers in November.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,082
14,621
78
I feel like Nebraska brought this upon themselves with (once again) piss-poor leadership at multiple levels. Kind of a recurring theme.
The framework for this problem started many decades ago and included multiple terms of Democrat governors as well as Republican. It wasn’t a problem until a B1G “partner” made it a problem because we didn’t conform to their state college structure. It’s a technicality exploited by a vindictive conference member.
 

Huskers12345

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,012
1,127
113
Does it actually provide a measurable benefit, or are people just trying to check a box to check a box? At one point people were saying we were doing great without it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zeke Husker

Charlie Marlow

All-Conference
May 6, 2022
1,048
1,695
113
The framework for this problem started many decades ago and included multiple terms of Democrat governors as well as Republican. It wasn’t a problem until a B1G “partner” made it a problem because we didn’t conform to their state college structure. It’s a technicality exploited by a vindictive conference member.
That’s not what I was talking about though.
 

Charlie Marlow

All-Conference
May 6, 2022
1,048
1,695
113
So who are you blaming for a “lack of leadership”? The current UN president, unicameral and Governor have tried to change the structure of the university system to placate the AAU.
Again, you are confusing two separate issues. Ask one of your friends or family members to help you out with this one😅
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
The framework for this problem started many decades ago and included multiple terms of Democrat governors as well as Republican. It wasn’t a problem until a B1G “partner” made it a problem because we didn’t conform to their state college structure. It’s a technicality exploited by a vindictive conference member.
Nebraska joined the B1G in 2011. The last Democrat to occupy the Guv's seat in NE was Nelson, who exited for an eventual Senate seat in 2001. The unicam is officially non-partisan, but that has always been a pretty conservative bunch of folks. The move to the B1G made some sense from a football perspective and the league offers better competition for the other sports. It didn't make sense from the academic side. UNL is a nice university and some of the science programs on the ag side are quite good. Plant Physiology is very well respected. The field station on Lake Mac is a jewel of the university and is something many universities don't have.
Farmers are cheap, many didn't go to college and thus don't see the need to make the kind of investments needed to make UNL more competitive on the academic side. And the population size of the state doesn't really support that either, although I do know KU has more respect as an academic institution. I had an old engineer tell me that they preferred KU grads over UNL grads.
I had a great time at UNL, had good to really good professors, and found my career trajectory there. It's a fine university that is reputationally inferior to its conference peers. And if the league had known the football team was going to be a losing machine for nearly a decade, I doubt they would have extended the invite. But they did for Tom Osborne.
 
  • Like
Reactions: NikkiSixx

GeorgeFlippin

Heisman
May 29, 2001
38,651
35,620
113
As a retired professor I endorse this message.
Colleges are an overpriced con job. I think the entire edifice of higher ed is a joke that should be scrapped for newer models of education.
Here's a challenging question Professor, who did you like more, Mary Ann or Ginger?


 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,082
14,621
78
Nebraska joined the B1G in 2011. The last Democrat to occupy the Guv's seat in NE was Nelson, who exited for an eventual Senate seat in 2001. The unicam is officially non-partisan, but that has always been a pretty conservative bunch of folks. The move to the B1G made some sense from a football perspective and the league offers better competition for the other sports. It didn't make sense from the academic side. UNL is a nice university and some of the science programs on the ag side are quite good. Plant Physiology is very well respected. The field station on Lake Mac is a jewel of the university and is something many universities don't have.
Farmers are cheap, many didn't go to college and thus don't see the need to make the kind of investments needed to make UNL more competitive on the academic side. And the population size of the state doesn't really support that either, although I do know KU has more respect as an academic institution. I had an old engineer tell me that they preferred KU grads over UNL grads.
I had a great time at UNL, had good to really good professors, and found my career trajectory there. It's a fine university that is reputationally inferior to its conference peers. And if the league had known the football team was going to be a losing machine for nearly a decade, I doubt they would have extended the invite. But they did for Tom Osborne.
It’s more a function of population and tax base than it is “farmers are cheap”. Nebraska farmers are taxed inordinately more than their Neighbors. So majors in fashion and ethnic studies make NU a better research university? Nebraska has spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 20 years on improving their medical, agricultural, and engineering facilities and research potential. I continue to be amazed at the money we’ve invested in our University.

Frankly I really don’t give a flying fudge about the AAU but some of you seem to have your panties in a wad over it.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Pennsyhuskers

Mr_Jnasty

Junior
May 31, 2022
146
277
63
Our country is a food importer. Produce and meat prices are rising exponentially. Our water is being bought by a handful of people and is being siphoned off to foreign countries or to these damn data centers. Our education system should be working towards reintroducing family farms, combating the sell off of our water, and fighting like hell to "blame the bean" as it pertains to these newly introduced patented seeds the bayer company (German) is about to start flooding our farms with. I don't give a crap about the "prestige" of these la-tee-da academic organizations until we fix what we've broken.
 
  • Like
Reactions: WHCSC

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,082
14,621
78
Our country is a food importer. Produce and meat prices are rising exponentially. Our water is being bought by a handful of people and is being siphoned off to foreign countries or to these damn data centers. Our education system should be working towards reintroducing family farms, combating the sell off of our water, and fighting like hell to "blame the bean" as it pertains to these newly introduced patented seeds the bayer company (German) is about to start flooding our farms with. I don't give a crap about the "prestige" of these la-tee-da academic organizations until we fix what we've broken.
The problem for the “family farm” model is the tax code has incentivized artificial investment in advanced technology and equipment. We need fewer and fewer workers and the equipment requires more and more acres to justify the overhead. Most successful family farms are now incorporated. It’s about the only way to keep kids on the farm. The “family farms” you’re romanticizing about are now little more than hobby farms. I farm 450 acres. When I was a kid, that was a fairly large family farm. Now it’s a hobby farm.

As far as importing food goes, we’re still I think the largest exporter of grain and meat in the world. We import a lot of fruits, vegetables and processed foods. We’re still a bread basket for the world.
 

Mr_Jnasty

Junior
May 31, 2022
146
277
63
The problem for the “family farm” model is the tax code has incentivized artificial investment in advanced technology and equipment. We need fewer and fewer workers and the equipment requires more and more acres to justify the overhead. Most successful family farms are now incorporated. It’s about the only way to keep kids on the farm. The “family farms” you’re romanticizing about are now little more than hobby farms. I farm 450 acres. When I was a kid, that was a fairly large family farm. Now it’s a hobby farm.

As far as importing food goes, we’re still I think the largest exporter of grain and meat in the world. We import a lot of fruits, vegetables and processed foods. We’re still a bread basket for the world.
I grew up on a farm/ ranch with around 1100 head. Depending on year could be a bit more or a bit less. It was a multi family affair. What you are saying is correct. That's the way things are. Alot of reasons why I feel like it's not going to go well, down the road, for us though.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dinglefritz

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,082
14,621
78
I grew up on a farm/ ranch with around 1100 head. Depending on year could be a bit more or a bit less. It was a multi family affair. What you are saying is correct. That's the way things are. Alot of reasons why I feel like it's not going to go well, down the road, for us though.
1100 cows or feeders?
 

but.i.digress

Redshirt
Feb 25, 2026
18
12
3
Mr. GeorgeFlippin, that's a trick question. Ginger is pictured first, with Mary Ann being shown second. The question asks who is better liked, Mary Ann or Ginger. The pictures are reversed to the word order of the question. This may cause immense confusion and consternation among the problem solving challenged group. I implore you to rectify this situation. Oh, the humanity. but i digress
 

inWV

All-Conference
Sep 22, 2007
14,311
4,990
91
It’s more a function of population and tax base than it is “farmers are cheap”. Nebraska farmers are taxed inordinately more than their Neighbors. So majors in fashion and ethnic studies make NU a better research university? Nebraska has spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 20 years on improving their medical, agricultural, and engineering facilities and research potential. I continue to be amazed at the money we’ve invested in our University.

Frankly I really don’t give a flying fudge about the AAU but some of you seem to have your panties in a wad over it.
I don't really care about it either. I'm not sure what the profs in fashion design were doing, but from a casual search of other U's that can focus on the creative side, production or the business side. If find the study of ethnicity fascinating and I'm sure it lends insight into how we live together on the country and the planet. Comprehensive universities offer experiences that aren't everyone's cup of tea. Aggressive slashing of academic programs brings reputational damage. I'm sure UNL wants to compete for the best incoming talent the state has to offer. If it is perceived as not just a football school, but a school where only football is valued, that talent can and will go elsewhere.
Everyone thinks their taxes are too high.
 

Zeke Husker

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,541
1,560
113
The original Big Ten Members don’t want to see Nebraska in the conference. We thought the big 12 didn’t care for us but this is worse. All we can do is beat their asses badly on the fields and courts.
 

Huskers12345

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,012
1,127
113
Nebraska joined the B1G in 2011. The last Democrat to occupy the Guv's seat in NE was Nelson, who exited for an eventual Senate seat in 2001. The unicam is officially non-partisan, but that has always been a pretty conservative bunch of folks. The move to the B1G made some sense from a football perspective and the league offers better competition for the other sports. It didn't make sense from the academic side. UNL is a nice university and some of the science programs on the ag side are quite good. Plant Physiology is very well respected. The field station on Lake Mac is a jewel of the university and is something many universities don't have.
Farmers are cheap, many didn't go to college and thus don't see the need to make the kind of investments needed to make UNL more competitive on the academic side. And the population size of the state doesn't really support that either, although I do know KU has more respect as an academic institution. I had an old engineer tell me that they preferred KU grads over UNL grads.
I had a great time at UNL, had good to really good professors, and found my career trajectory there. It's a fine university that is reputationally inferior to its conference peers. And if the league had known the football team was going to be a losing machine for nearly a decade, I doubt they would have extended the invite. But they did for Tom Osborne.
The Big 10 more than got their money's worth out of NU. They ran us through the gauntlet and got big TV ratings. The conference is all about TV money and we still are a top draw, even with our mediocre football.
 

Huskers12345

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,012
1,127
113
It’s more a function of population and tax base than it is “farmers are cheap”. Nebraska farmers are taxed inordinately more than their Neighbors. So majors in fashion and ethnic studies make NU a better research university? Nebraska has spent hundreds of millions of dollars over the past 20 years on improving their medical, agricultural, and engineering facilities and research potential. I continue to be amazed at the money we’ve invested in our University.

Frankly I really don’t give a flying fudge about the AAU but some of you seem to have your panties in a wad over it.
Agland valued at $500,000 is taxed less than a property in town with a house valued at $500,000.
 

Huskers12345

All-Conference
Aug 23, 2025
1,012
1,127
113
Our country is a food importer. Produce and meat prices are rising exponentially. Our water is being bought by a handful of people and is being siphoned off to foreign countries or to these damn data centers. Our education system should be working towards reintroducing family farms, combating the sell off of our water, and fighting like hell to "blame the bean" as it pertains to these newly introduced patented seeds the bayer company (German) is about to start flooding our farms with. I don't give a crap about the "prestige" of these la-tee-da academic organizations until we fix what we've broken.
Subsidies killed family farms. Simple as that. Less risk = less diversification. Less diversification = more reliance on the government. Endless cycle.
 

Stlhuskers

Redshirt
Aug 25, 2008
111
26
28
The departments cut were Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Educational Administration, Statistics & Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design. If I wanted to create a strong application to be readmitted to the AAU, I don't think cutting my Statistics Dept is a good step.
UNL is the least expensive school in the Big 10 to attend for in-state tuition. Racing to the bottom is not a good strategy. Nebraska needs to decide if it is competing for the community college student in Nebraska or if it wants to be a strong regional Ag, Science, Research institution. It will also need graduate programs in many of the departments and have undergrad departments that can be found at the other Big 10 schools (ex. Statistics). It will take money (state funding, increased tuition, research grants, etc.) to attract promising young academics and build top research facilities. Engineering has made some strong efforts recently but that needs to happen in Ag/Tech/Sci as well. Programs like the Raikes School should be highlighted and similar designs duplicated in other academic areas where possible. I believe first-time student numbers are up across the Nebraska campuses. I don't know what percentage is community college vs. UNL.
 

dinglefritz

Heisman
Jan 14, 2011
53,082
14,621
78
The departments cut were Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Educational Administration, Statistics & Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design. If I wanted to create a strong application to be readmitted to the AAU, I don't think cutting my Statistics Dept is a good step.
UNL is the least expensive school in the Big 10 to attend for in-state tuition. Racing to the bottom is not a good strategy. Nebraska needs to decide if it is competing for the community college student in Nebraska or if it wants to be a strong regional Ag, Science, Research institution. It will also need graduate programs in many of the departments and have undergrad departments that can be found at the other Big 10 schools (ex. Statistics). It will take money (state funding, increased tuition, research grants, etc.) to attract promising young academics and build top research facilities. Engineering has made some strong efforts recently but that needs to happen in Ag/Tech/Sci as well. Programs like the Raikes School should be highlighted and similar designs duplicated in other academic areas where possible. I believe first-time student numbers are up across the Nebraska campuses. I don't know what percentage is community college vs. UNL.
I’m sure they looked at the departments where they had the strong st faculty, largest student participation, and greatest return on investment and cut those. Not. 🙄

Do we want our university spending wisely on their curriculum or do we want to try to be everything for everybody? They did away with Statistics AND Textiles. Not Statistics in the math department. Do you believe we have ANY textile manufacturing jobs in Nebraska? Usually what happens is wanted or needed courses get rolled in to other related departments.

Educational Administration? LOL. That generates a ton of research dollars and prestige I’m sure. Every administrator I know who got a masters so they could become a fat lazy principal did it either over the summer OR via night classes at a small state college. Now they can do most of it online. It’s a joke. Something tells me that you’re an educational administrator of some type.
 
Last edited:

Husker.Wed._rivals

All-Conference
Feb 13, 2004
17,707
3,783
98
The departments cut were Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Educational Administration, Statistics & Textiles, Merchandising and Fashion Design. If I wanted to create a strong application to be readmitted to the AAU, I don't think cutting my Statistics Dept is a good step.
UNL is the least expensive school in the Big 10 to attend for in-state tuition. Racing to the bottom is not a good strategy. Nebraska needs to decide if it is competing for the community college student in Nebraska or if it wants to be a strong regional Ag, Science, Research institution. It will also need graduate programs in many of the departments and have undergrad departments that can be found at the other Big 10 schools (ex. Statistics). It will take money (state funding, increased tuition, research grants, etc.) to attract promising young academics and build top research facilities. Engineering has made some strong efforts recently but that needs to happen in Ag/Tech/Sci as well. Programs like the Raikes School should be highlighted and similar designs duplicated in other academic areas where possible. I believe first-time student numbers are up across the Nebraska campuses. I don't know what percentage is community college vs. UNL.
Did you hear about the statistician who drowned in water that averaged one inch deep?
 
  • Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Inside Nebraska

Latest

  1. 01 Inside Nebraska Football Rhule: Colandrea sliding, sharp words for Nwaneri & Jones, plus an early eval on Huskers’ transfer class
  2. 02 Inside Nebraska Football Here’s what Nebraska coach Matt Rhule said about Dylan Raiola performance in Oregon’s win over USC
  3. 03 Inside Nebraska Football Injury updates for Jamal Rule & Jacory Barney? Not yet, says Matt Rhule, and he explains why
  4. 04 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska-Indiana kickoff time, TV info announced
  5. 05 Inside Nebraska Football Nebraska HC Matt Rhule previews Maryland at game week press conference