Absolutely insane

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That the reality show Rattler was in even came up in the draft process, much less possibly factored into anyone’s thinking.

For one thing, I’ve seen the thing, and I do not get what any of the fuss was about. He was a cocky teenager. It’s got to be one of the biggest nothingburgers in all of history, yet somehow it’s been made out to be the single defining moment of his entire life.

It’s not like there’s never been an immature and cocky teenager, and it’s not like nobody has ever matured at all between the ages of 17 and 22.

Just completely bizarre to me that people are still talking about this thing, especially for something as significant as drafting a player into the NFL.

Whatever1

Mar 27, 2022
Yea, if I'm a young person with any potential for big upside in any sport or anywhere else and I'm approached about a media deal of some kind, my answer is "gfy" after seeing how it has been militarized against Spencer.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I just don’t even get what was so bad about the show he was on. Was he cocky? Yeah. Immature? Yeah. Was he a teenager? Yeah. Just bizarre that people even care about it. It’s not like the NFL is a paradigm of virtue anyway so to punish a 22 year old bc he was immature at 17 is just nuts.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
I just don’t even get what was so bad about the show he was on. Was he cocky? Yeah. Immature? Yeah. Was he a teenager? Yeah. Just bizarre that people even care about it. It’s not like the NFL is a paradigm of virtue anyway so to punish a 22 year old bc he was immature at 17 is just nuts.
There has to be more to it than the tv show. Scouts evaluate based on many factors over a period of years. No team is going to pass on a game changing player over something from HS that isn't a crime or major controversy. Rattler was one of the best qbs at SC but considering our lack of qbs taken in the draft over the years that is sort of damning with faint praise.

Mar 24, 2022
Personally I think the Saints got a steal.If they give him a real chance I think Rattler can ba an effective starter in the NFL.
I did see where draft analyst said at the end of the day Rattler measured 6-0 and ran a 5.0 forty .But I saw a guy with a ton of arm talent and a good attitude.So I think the Saints will be very happy with the pick.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
There has to be more to it than the tv show. Scouts evaluate based on many factors over a period of years. No team is going to pass on a game changing player over something from HS that isn't a crime or major controversy. Rattler was one of the best qbs at SC but considering our lack of qbs taken in the draft over the years that is sort of damning with faint praise.
But they actually referenced the reality show during the draft show. That it’s even being talked about, much less used in the evaluation is nutty.

Reactions: Cackmandu

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Personally I think the Saints got a steal.If they give him a real chance I think Rattler can ba an effective starter in the NFL.
I did see where draft analyst said at the end of the day Rattler measured 6-0 and ran a 5.0 forty .But I saw a guy with a ton of arm talent and a good attitude.So I think the Saints will be very happy with the pick.
Yep. Their QB room as is, I think he can easily win the backup job this year. I believe he has NFL starter arm talent.

Uscg1984

Jan 28, 2022
I didn't even know Rattler was on a reality show. lol. What I saw was a guy who could have easily given up on a team that couldn't protect him with a decent offensive line. Despite spending most of his two years running for his life and getting pounded into the turf by opposing D-lines, he continued to battle, continued to go out there and lead his team, and actually managed to have some success. None of us really know these people, but if he has any character issues, they never emerged in his play at Carolina. He gave us everything he has.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
But they actually referenced the reality show during the draft show. That it’s even being talked about, much less used in the evaluation is nutty.
The show is sports talk show talking heads. The actual scouts do very in depth analysis of players. The show people are filling air time and trying to create clicks, responses and future call ins.

Reactions: LonghornsGamecocks

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
The big difference between Rattler and NFL ''experts'' is their teenage antics were not part of the digital media era where everything exposed in bright light.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
The show is sports talk show talking heads. The actual scouts do very in depth analysis of players. The show people are filling air time and trying to create clicks, responses and future call ins.

call ins? It was talked about at the draft. They don’t take calls.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
IMO the reason they discussed it during the draft show is because it's easy, lazy, and high profile. Clickbait, so to speak

That doesn't really make sense. It's a one and done show. They aren't trying to get repeat viewers.

There's a 0% chance in my opinion that he fell to the 5th round on the basis of talent. Is Bo Nix 4 rounds better than Rattler based on talent?

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022
This is my thought. I don't buy that it was a factor in his draft position.
Agree, I think everybody that needed a qb got one in the big 6 and Rattler just fell in the draft because of lack of height and speed!, high school attitude is not going to hurt your NFL draft position! Now if you want a guy that makes smart quick decisions, can buy some time with his feet, has an unbelievable arm, is a great teammate and tough as a nut then the Saints got a steal IMO!

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Agree, I think everybody that needed a qb got one in the big 6 and Rattler just fell in the draft because of lack of height and speed!, high school attitude is not going to hurt your NFL draft position! Now if you want a guy that makes smart quick decisions, can buy some time with his feet, has an unbelievable arm, is a great teammate and tough as a nut then the Saints got a steal IMO!
The NFL wants all of those things AND height and speed.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Spencer liked and retweeted a post blasting the fact that his draft stock fell due to the Netflix show.

He thinks it was a factor.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
While that narrative about the show makes for good gossip…..the more likely scenario was what was said about the two most interested teams picking Nix and Penix early. I think people have watched too much of the movie “Draft Day”

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
While that narrative about the show makes for good gossip…..the more likely scenario was what was said about the two most interested teams picking Nix and Penix early. I think people have watched too much of the movie “Draft Day”

Spencer agreed it was a factor. He would probably know more than anyone here.

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Spencer liked and retweeted a post blasting the fact that his draft stock fell due to the Netflix show.

He thinks it was a factor.
It might be easier for him to accept that the show was the reason rather than him not being what teams are looking for as a first round qb because of some physical shortcoming or his play.

Reactions: Lurker123

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It might be easier for him to accept that the show was the reason rather than him not being what teams are looking for as a first round qb because of some physical shortcoming or his play.

Too many folks are reporting that it came up in the pre-draft and draft process for there not to be some merit to it.

Why is it so hard for you to believe?

I think I'm going to take Spencer's word on it over anyone else's. He was the only one who was in all the interviews. As noted, his drop in the draft was surely multifactorial. Was this the only reason he fell? Of course not. If he was a two-time Heisman winner and 3-time national champion nobody would care. But other factors taken into consideration, there's zero question this also factored into it. If you're viewed as a slam dunk pick, they will overlook almost any character issue or potential character issue. The less slam dunk of a pick you are, the other things becomes increasingly relevant to them.

You have a lot more faith in the NFL than I do, that's for sure. Shoot, the Falcons drafted a QB they didn't need with a top 10 pick. To say these folks are using flawless logic is a stretch.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Yeah, he can re-tweet it, I still don't buy it.

You'd be asking me to believe that NFL scouts looked at his stats, talents, and measurables, then dropped him lower because he threw a tantrum in practice as a highschooler.

They've overlooked worse faults plenty of times.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Yeah, he can re-tweet it, I still don't buy it.

You'd be asking me to believe that NFL scouts looked at his stats, talents, and measurables, then dropped him lower because he threw a tantrum in practice as a highschooler.

They've overlooked worse faults plenty of times.

Already addressed above.

Besides, one NFL GM already confirmed (anonymously of course, as they always are) that this issue was something on their radar.

Tngamecock

Jan 22, 2022
This.^^^^
I will always think of him as a Gamecock and loved what he brought to us. I hope he ends up being great. It will need to be the right situation. I truly don’t think any serious scout considering him made a final decision based on he was cocky at age 17. Hell, the NFL lets woman beaters play.

Prestonyte

Jun 1, 2022
People with power like use that power!
I predict New Orleans will be happy with their pick.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This.^^^^
I will always think of him as a Gamecock and loved what he brought to us. I hope he ends up being great. It will need to be the right situation. I truly don’t think any serious scout considering him made a final decision based on he was cocky at age 17. Hell, the NFL lets woman beaters play.

There is an inverse relationship between talent level and the amount of character flaws they are willing to overlook.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I truly don’t think any serious scout considering him made a final decision based on he was cocky at age 17. Hell, the NFL lets woman beaters play.

This.

And I don't think that opinion will change because of an anonymous comment by a supposed GM.

Reactions: Tngamecock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This.

And I don't think that opinion will change because of an anonymous comment by a supposed GM.

lol, ok. Rattler confirmed it. An NFL GM confirmed it.

But you know better!!

Big JC

May 12, 2023
Too many folks are reporting that it came up in the pre-draft and draft process for there not to be some merit to it.

Why is it so hard for you to believe?

I think I'm going to take Spencer's word on it over anyone else's. He was the only one who was in all the interviews. As noted, his drop in the draft was surely multifactorial. Was this the only reason he fell? Of course not. If he was a two-time Heisman winner and 3-time national champion nobody would care. But other factors taken into consideration, there's zero question this also factored into it. If you're viewed as a slam dunk pick, they will overlook almost any character issue or potential character issue. The less slam dunk of a pick you are, the other things becomes increasingly relevant to them.

You have a lot more faith in the NFL than I do, that's for sure. Shoot, the Falcons drafted a QB they didn't need with a top 10 pick. To say these folks are using flawless logic is a stretch.
I think Rattler ended up exactly where he should have. He wasn't a college superstar and he did lose his starting job at OK so he obviously isn't a first round talent. QBs are notoriously difficult to rate and NFL teams are justifiably skittish about using early round picks on qbs who aren't slam dunks. The Rams waited until the fourth round to take Stetson Bennett and he had two national championships and was in NYC for the Heisman award. I don't put any stock at all into what the Falcons do. They could screw up a one car funeral.

I think the reporting about the tv show had as much to do with the talking heads trying to create some interest in the day 3, fifth round picks as possible. By round 5, friends and family and rabid college team fans who hang on the draft status of their team's players are really the only people paying any attention to the draft.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
The Spencer Rattler that played for South Carolina and the one featured when he was a Sr in HS, have one thing in common, the same name. Rattler was never cocky, thought to be self centered, or a bad teammate/leader in his two years at Carolina.