AJ Ferrari at the soldier salute

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
No way the NCAA or ANY college let AJ participate in college wrestling. The young man has some MAJOR mental health issues.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
No way the NCAA or ANY college let AJ participate in college wrestling. The young man has some MAJOR mental health issues.

that makes no sense, as it's not how the process works. the NCAA deals with eligibility. If an athlete is eligible, then they are eligible to play. Each university has their own rules as to who they admit, which athletes they allow to compete for their teams, and what rules they have for admitted athletes in terms of whether or not they can compete in future events, etc.

AJ was an unattached wrestler in the Soldier Salute tournament.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
that makes no sense, as it's not how the process works. the NCAA deals with eligibility. If an athlete is eligible, then they are eligible to play. Each university has their own rules as to who they admit, which athletes they allow to compete for their teams, and what rules they have for admitted athletes in terms of whether or not they can compete in future events, etc.

Okay. Awesome. Thank you Tom. Your wrestling coverage is the best.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021

Also: the University of Iowa has allowed itself to be represented by Associate Head Coach Terry Brands despite no shortage of bad behavior. For starters: touching opponents and refs during matches, challenging opponents' fathers in the stands to fights, etc.

Also: AJ and Anthony each have several prior misdeeds. They have more red flags than the Communist Party, and Iowa is letting them in anyway. Their behavior this weekend is a complete non-factor. At most they'll get a talking to.

AJ's flagrant misconduct DQ comes with an automatic 1-match suspension. This might affect the timing of when Brands rosters him, but not the fact of it. Iowa will take him unless he gets into serious legal trouble.

Reactions: cb1994 and Spice67

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
AJ's flagrant misconduct DQ comes with an automatic 1-match suspension. This might affect the timing of when Brands rosters him, but not the fact of it. Iowa will take him unless he gets into serious legal trouble.

Does this actually apply since he was not rostered when it happened?

SRATH

Oct 30, 2021
AJ, Team Captain for the Nebraska match.

He has the mindset they are looking for and let everyone know he thinks he is number 1.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom McAndrew

Gobert21

Oct 22, 2021
This kid is going to end up in prison. He hasn't learned his lesson from almost killing someone.

psu0408

Oct 26, 2021
Not a shrink, but this kid likely has antisocial and narcissistic personality disorders which are not being adequately treated. Iowa should really think twice about bringing this kid in. The odds of him finishing out his eligibility without being suspended or removed are slim. He's going to disrupt the culture of the program and could turn off potential blue-chip recruits who don't want to deal with the drama.

El_Jefe

Oct 11, 2021
Does this actually apply since he was not rostered when it happened?
God knows what the NCAA will do in any situation ...

But IMO being unrostered is completely irrelevant. It's like the baseball player who gets suspended at the very end of the year, then becomes a free agent. If he signs in the offseason, his suspension starts on Opening Day. If he signs in May, his suspension doesn't go away, it starts as soon as he's activated.

Spice67

Sep 26, 2023
How in the world does the NCAA let this kid wrestle ? Unreal. I don’t care how good or bad he’s on a one way track to jail if he doesn’t get some serious mental health counseling. Tom Brand’s, the AD, and the administration at Iowa is gonna look even worse if they let him on their team. Oh well, we’re very fortunate to have the best coaching staff in the world right here in State College. Dynasty.

Reactions: ChandlerPearce

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
Looks like the Iowa AD didn't admit AJ. He appears to be shopping for other schools. Iowa people want AJ to Olympic red shirt this year and see if things change next year. Yeah, OK with that. Quite the mess in Iowa.

Reactions: ElDuce

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
Looks like the Iowa AD didn't admit AJ. He appears to be shopping for other schools. Iowa people want AJ to Olympic red shirt this year and see if things change next year. Yeah, OK with that. Quite the mess in Iowa.
The Iowa AD pulling double duty in the Iowa Admissions office?

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021
How in the world does the NCAA let this kid wrestle ? Unreal. I don’t care how good or bad he’s on a one way track to jail if he doesn’t get some serious mental health counseling. Tom Brand’s, the AD, and the administration at Iowa is gonna look even worse if they let him on their team. Oh well, we’re very fortunate to have the best coaching staff in the world right here in State College. Dynasty.

Tom has already explained this so I don't know why it's difficult to understand. The NCAA has no ability to ban him from wrestling because they think he has mental health issues. That's not how it works. He can be ineligible for different reasons, but because the NCAA simply doesn't think he should wrestle isn't one of them.

Karl_Havok

Oct 6, 2021

It's truly amazing that Iowa fans want AJ on their team. I mean, they claim to be righteous and have a problem with any other coach (cough couch Cael Sanderson) bringing in a transfer with even the slightest hint of baggage but when there is a guy who they think can really help them with 5x the baggage of anyone Cael has ever brought in they are all for it because they think Tom is some sort of divine character healer.

WV lion

Oct 17, 2021
It's truly amazing that Iowa fans want AJ on their team. I mean, they claim to be righteous and have a problem with any other coach (cough couch Cael Sanderson) bringing in a transfer with even the slightest hint of baggage but when there is a guy who they think can really help them with 5x the baggage of anyone Cael has ever brought in they are all for it because they think Tom is some sort of divine character healer.
You can't lump all iowa fan together and say they want him. The vast majority of iowa fans want nothing to do with him.

Reactions: Roaddog55

PSU_Lions_84

Jul 2, 2022
Seems he'd fit in well with Michigan football. Wonder if he and Jim Harbaugh have chatted . . . ?

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
I have a question, does AJ qualify for an Olympic red shirt if his NCAA title was back in 2021?

Also he only has a couple of options doesn't he to get in the ladder, Pan Ams? Last Chance for sure, He isn't going to make 86 kg.

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I have a question, does AJ qualify for an Olympic red shirt if his NCAA title was back in 2021?

No. There are 6 different types of criteria that qualify one to for an Olympic redshirt. With regards to NCAA Championships, the criteria is top 3 in the 2023 NCAA D1 Championships.

Also he only has a couple of options doesn't he to get in the ladder, Pan Ams? Last Chance for sure, He isn't going to make 86 kg.

AJ is not currently qualified for the USA Olympic Trials. I believe the only remaining options for qualifying are:

1. 2024 Pan American Championship champion
2. 2024 Pam American Olympic Qualifier
3. 2024 NCAA Div. 1 Champion
4. 2024 Final Olympic Trials Qualifier champion

I'm not sure if he can make 86 Kg, or will have to go 97 Kg. Either way, there are some real studs at those two weights that would be difficult for anybody to get past, let alone somebody that hasn't wrestled too much for a year.

watoos

Oct 31, 2021
No. There are 6 different types of criteria that qualify one to for an Olympic redshirt. With regards to NCAA Championships, the criteria is top 3 in the 2023 NCAA D1 Championships.

AJ is not currently qualified for the USA Olympic Trials. I believe the only remaining options for qualifying are:

1. 2024 Pan American Championship champion
2. 2024 Pam American Olympic Qualifier
3. 2024 NCAA Div. 1 Champion
4. 2024 Final Olympic Trials Qualifier champion

I'm not sure if he can make 86 Kg, or will have to go 97 Kg. Either way, there are some real studs at those two weights that would be difficult for anybody to get past, let alone somebody that hasn't wrestled too much for a year.
I didn’t make myself clear about my first question, is AJ eligible for an Olympic red shirt?

Tom McAndrew

BWI Staff
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
I didn’t make myself clear about my first question, is AJ eligible for an Olympic red shirt?

That's what my "No" was about. He is not eligible, as best as I can tell. (I checked through 5 of the criteria. The other was a world champ at U-17, U-20, U-23, and I didn't check on that.)

Last edited:

Latest posts