Alabama Looking to Build Smaller Basketball Arena

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
I like it...quaint...reminds me of Reynolds Coliseum at NC State where the women play bb...

Reactions: King Ward

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I like it...quaint...reminds me of Reynolds Coliseum at NC State where the women play bb...
It's the thing now. Auburn did it. Ole Miss did it. Texas is doing it with a versatile seating capacity depending on the opponent but smaller than what they have now.

TN-Gamecock

Joined May 10, 2002
Jan 29, 2022
Would be hard to do for us since women's basketball has sellouts. If the men's team started to win, sellouts would be commonplace in Columbia.

It's great to get off work and head to a bb game during the week. and weekends on Sat/Sun when not a lot is going on.

Jan 18, 2022
I hope we take the same approach and reduce seats at the Brice. I love what UNC has done with the reduction of 15k seats...

Reactions: King Ward

Legal_fowl

Jan 21, 2022
I don't think there is a way to renovate the inside of the CLA to make it "steeper" and give more intimacy. (and reduce the capacity)

Does anyone know if the old McGuire arena could be renovated and used for basketball again? 12,000 seats seems about right. The problem there might be parking. It is 3 blocks from the nearest parking facility and there is not a lot of room on the north side of the building (next to the business school)

Could those problems be overcome? Maybe turn the CLA over to the city.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I don't think there is a way to renovate the inside of the CLA to make it "steeper" and give more intimacy. (and reduce the capacity)

Does anyone know if the old McGuire arena could be renovated and used for basketball again? 12,000 seats seems about right. The problem there might be parking. It is 3 blocks from the nearest parking facility and there is not a lot of room on the north side of the building (next to the business school)

Could those problems be overcome? Maybe turn the CLA over to the city.

I'm sure FMA could be renovated, but the bones are so old I don't know if it would add more costs to shore up than would be worth it. I think that's why Bama just started with the idea of a brand new building.

I do think Colonial Life could make some significant changes, but you'd have to gut portions on the inside to move things closer to the action. I think there could be some design elements taken from Ok State and Auburn's arenas (with the pit-like element) - or even the club section at little john.

It's unfortunate that USC built that when they did. I feel like it was one of the last characterless, mega-arenas built and then there was a shift to smaller, more intimate arenas that were more geared toward fan experience.

Reactions: Legal_fowl

Garnetspur

Joined Jan 1, 2004
Jan 22, 2022
The old Coliseum is a renovated practice and office facility for both BB teams. If you're worried about having full seating, sell the bottom bowl and use the top tier as a overflow for big games.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
I'm sure FMA could be renovated, but the bones are so old I don't know if it would add more costs to shore up than would be worth it. I think that's why Bama just started with the idea of a brand new building.

I do think Colonial Life could make some significant changes, but you'd have to gut portions on the inside to move things closer to the action. I think there could be some design elements taken from Ok State and Auburn's arenas (with the pit-like element) - or even the club section at little john.

It's unfortunate that USC built that when they did. I feel like it was one of the last characterless, mega-arenas built and then there was a shift to smaller, more intimate arenas that were more geared toward fan experience.

Todd, it’s only 50 yrs old, concrete lasts forever. See: Rome.
The other fiasco, bigger is better. See: Fenway, Wrigley.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Look at a couple of the more recently built baseball stadiums: Truist Park (Atlanta) - 41,084, LoanDepot Park (Miami) - 36,742.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
If it weren't a dump, how would you like it otherwise?
It would be great...
for Triple A ball. I was a lot younger when I lived in St. Louis and always had a good fight or two every time we went up there. Had some good times there. Cardinals usually kicked *** as well.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022

im thinking more of all the guts and the space you need to fit more modern ideas in. I don’t think the place is about to collapse, but it was made for a technological/engineering place in time that doesn’t come close to today’s specs. Maybe it could work, but it would cost as much as a new building.

But to your point, somehow Rome made better concrete than anyone is using today. The classics are the classics because they stay.

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
im thinking more of all the guts and the space you need to fit more modern ideas in. I don’t think the place is about to collapse, but it was made for a technological/engineering place in time that doesn’t come close to today’s specs. Maybe it could work, but it would cost as much as a new building.

But to your point, somehow Rome made better concrete than anyone is using today. The classics are the classics because they stay.
When it’s all said & done…….who recalls the fluff……it’s a palace built for basketball by a basketball man.

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Why would u go to a dump n the first place…….Not a purist? Someone else would have enjoyed that seat……like a kid with cancer.
Oh I did enjoy it usually. See post #23. We always sat in the bleachers. That's where the action we were looking for was easy to find. And back then it was around 3 bucks. Don't remember how many games I went to up there over the years but it was more than ten.

Last edited:

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
Oh I did enjoy it usually. See post #23. We always sat in the bleachers. That's where the action we were looking for was easy to find. And back then it was around 3 bucks. Don't remember how many games I went to up there over the years but it was more than ten.
Sorry, the “dump” comment threw me……….wouldn’t trade it for anything, much less Fenway or old Comiskey & Yankeee stadiums.

In fact I’d even like to see another game @ the ultra modern astrodome…….the grandad of all😁.

Reactions: Gamecock Jaques

Gamecock Jacque

Joined Dec 20, 2020
Jan 30, 2022
Sorry, the “dump” comment threw me……….
Well, it IS a dump. It was a dump in the 70's when I was there. I don't know about Fenway. But I KNOW about Wrigley. Saw the Astros vs Mets in the Astrodome around 1975 or 76. Caesar Cedeno went deep off Jerry Koosman and got to see the hokey light show on the big board in the outfield.

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
It would be great...
for Triple A ball. I was a lot younger when I lived in St. Louis and always had a good fight or two every time we went up there. Had some good times there. Cardinals usually kicked *** as well.
I believe Wrigley underwent a major rehab sometime in the past 10 years.

Reactions: Gamecock Jaques

atl-cock

Jan 18, 2022
The Carolina Coliseum took four years to build. Like Tanner and Founders Park, McGuire was heavily involved in the design. First class facilities designed for TV broadcasts. Excellent thinking for the mid 1960s - he probably had colour TV in mind too. It sure looked good to this 10 year old's eyes on the family colour TV in Beaufort in 1970.