Another SPS first re: logo change

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
Jack at Shelter was dead on, again.

University is about to announce, in the next few weeks, of a change to a more modernized M-State. Dont know which one it is from the drawings, but its one of those. A buddy of mine who works in a local shop told me about this. Supposidly no more license will be given for the current M-State logo or the walking Bully, and this new logo will be the only one that can be used.

topdawg.sixpack

Nov 25, 2007
Jack at Shelter was dead on, again.

University is about to announce, in the next few weeks, of a change to a more modernized M-State. Dont know which one it is from the drawings, but its one of those. A buddy of mine who works in a local shop told me about this. Supposidly no more license will be given for the current M-State logo or the walking Bully, and this new logo will be the only one that can be used.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
presented. What is so hard about using what we had when Jackie was here or the baseball MS? I just don't get it.

May 24, 2006
A couple of those just say "Mississippi". Why are they changing it anyway? I don't think there's anything wrong with your current logo. I like the current M with the "State" banner over it as well as the walking Bully.

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
Regarding the M-State:

The only decent ones on Page 1 are (A) and (B)

I am guessing the one they are going with are the ones on Page 2, with different highlighting/color variations. That doesn't look awful - but not any better than the current logo.

I am still not real sure about any of the logos on the 3rd page. Not really loving the Bully with the horse-blanket on his back, or bully straddling an M.

Just leave it be. Universities might be the last vestige of tradition and history in this crumbling nation. Why do we have to make everything "modern?" I am not a big fan of walking bully, but these new designs are just trying too hard. The M-State is just going from average to bad.

MSU2006

Sep 19, 2008
This is ridiculous. All of those options look like ****. I don't mind the M-State, but dammit. Pick one and freaking stick with it! And please give us some maroon helmets.

BCash

Oct 21, 2008
I don't know why they can't just do a simple poll and see what they fans like? GB could easily get a general consensus of they fans by just asking people when he's glad-handing on gamedays. Most everyone would vote for the interlocking MSU and GB would become loved by all MSU fans.

dawgfan77

Feb 27, 2008
If true, the return of the Maroon helmets should be next, white logo, with maroon helment. I like the idea of adding silver back into our logo as well

Sep 7, 2007
TheMAROONandWHITE said:
Sources say it's going to be the top middle one on page 2 with a few modifications from that version.
Great. So it's going to be essentially the same crappy logo?

Is the announcement just that they're revising this version of the M-state logo for basketball and currently for football, or that it's going to become the permanent helmet logo?

tommyboy1520

Dec 25, 2007
It will definitely be some variation of what is in Link 2. Links 1 & 3 are obviously first round options. Link 2 is the second round of option B from Link 1. If they've done a second round on anything, then that's probably what they're going with. As far as fan opinion goes, if the firm/agency that did these is bona fide in the least bit, then they've done some kind of focus group to help determine the direction. That doesn't necessarily mean they tested alumni/fans of the school, though. And it certainly doesn't mean they took the correct route. Looking at the logo in Link 2, I'd love to know what direction the designer(s) was given by the university. It's a definite fail in my book. Not a bad logo, generally speaking. Just not right for State.

Aug 20, 2006
There is not much you can do with a "M" and a "State". We had a good logo (the nike MSU). We now have a decent logo now (the current MState). Any other changes at this point seem very pointless.

Also, the logo (page 2) has an Ok St. vibe. Am I the only one picking that up?

TheMAROONandWHITE

Oct 31, 2007
i just wonder where all the money is going to come from to change everything on campus with the current logo on it...that's gonna cost hundreds of thousands

AzzurriDawg4

Nov 11, 2007
That is what makes that logo look like ****. I did a simple revision on MSPaint and it looks 10 times better in my opinion.

Edited to add: still looks worse than the current logo and FAR WORSE than the logo in my signature.

Frexzell

Nov 11, 2007
I don't mind E or J from page 3 if we have to choose a Bulldog logo. I do not like the standing dogs or the ones with lettering, which all look like something my 12 year old would have drawn on the cover of one of his school notebooks.

tommyboy1520

Dec 25, 2007
for the school is not so much that the new version is better than the current (it's not), but the fact that each sport has its own logo. It needs to be universal for the athletic department. I know that football and basketball use M-state, but that was not the case a few years back. And I know that football switching to the M-state was the beginning of all sports using the M-state. That's the right idea, just not the right logo. All sports should use baseball's MS logo. It's the most sacred, as it should be. And that's because baseball has given us out greatest success in sports. You can't change the baseball logo, so change everything else to that and be done with it. We need one athletic department logo. And the MS logo is the only option that makes sense.

McMeat

Feb 24, 2008
Is that people knew what school it was. It had recognition. People outside the state of Mississippi have no clue what school M State banner logo is. God I wish they would just go back to it and stop trying to make chicken salad out this chicken **** logo.

Greg: old logo, no purple uni's, maroon helemts</p>

BCash

Oct 21, 2008
The M-State could just remain the symbol of the university, while we use different symbols for baseball and football. However, I think the best option would be to have the M-State as the symbol, but the baseball MS could be the logo used on atheltic gear.</p>

Agentdog

Aug 16, 2006
Ok St. vibe. Am I the only one picking that up?
No, that is exactly what I think when I see just about all the logos on page 2. If Bryne goes with one of those, that will be extremely stupid. It isn't enough of a change to even go through the trouble or money.

Which makes this rumor/change hard to imagine. Didn't they just put a giant MState logo inside LT's building? Not to mention it has just gotten to the point of saturating everything on campus within the past two years.

Oh, and while on the subject......I know I won't be popular for this...but again the MS is a traditional baseball logo. Look at every MLB team (if formed prior to the 90s) logo/hat for example. So, if we put that logo on a helmet......just put "We are a baseball school" in script underneath. Or a couple of crossed bats. I like the MS logo but it doesn't belong on a football helmet.

Just f'n keep the current MState for the University and go back to the 80s MSU or MSJ for football helmets. Plenty of schools have an official logo and something totally different on the football helmet.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Just about every SEC school has a logo that's used for baseball and one that's used for everything else.

Columbus Dawg

Feb 23, 2008
Exactly, we don't need one logo.

The university needs one, standard, good-looking logo. But that doesn't mean that particular logo has to go on our football helmets. I have said this before but just look at Michigan, Bama, Penn State, Notre Dame, etc. they don't have their university's logo on their helmets and neither should we. This applies to our baseball unis as well.

Nike owns the rights to the last MSU interlocking that we used, but we could simply tweak that a little and bring it back under adidas. I bet if Byrne polled MSU fans, at least 80% would be in favor of the MSU interlocking logo. In my humble opinion it differentiates us from Ole Miss much more than the M-State logo. Not to mention Marshall and Miami of Ohio have a big M on their helmets.

Put the M-State logo on the side of the pants if we must and it looks fine in basketball and on our fields and everywhere else. Just keep it off the damn helmets and baseball hats.</p>

D

DriverDawg

Leave it to m-state to 17 this up and continue our 2nd rate image.</p>