Anyone else here use the Upside gas app?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I've been using it for a little bit now. So far I've used it 6 times and have about $15 in my account. I only bother with if it's at least 10 cents/gallon back. Had to stop for gas the other night and found the closest station to me using my phone. Pulled in and just thought to check the Upside app. The offer for that station was 23 cents back per gallon. That's the most I've ever had. I'm working from home now, so not driving all that much. If you're driving a good bit, though, you could get some pretty decent money back. It's not a ton of money, but it's free money. Of course, I always check to make sure the amount back per gallon isn't negated by higher priced gas, but around here all the gas stations are pretty much the same price, so that hasn't been an issue.

92Pony

Joined Jan 18, 2011
Jan 20, 2022
I don't use that one.

I do however have a Circle K Easy pay card, It links directly to your checking (basically a Circle K specific debit card), and gets me a $.10/gal discount at all Circle K stations. My daughter uses a Gas Buddy card. That is more like the Upside app, in that your discount differs from station to station, and time to time. I think with Gas Buddy she gets the discount right then as opposed to having it returned to her account. Man, these days, you gotta do any/everything you can to try to save.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
I don't use that one.

I do however have a Circle K Easy pay card, It links directly to your checking (basically a Circle K specific debit card), and gets me a $.10/gal discount at all Circle K stations. My daughter uses a Gas Buddy card. That is more like the Upside app, in that your discount differs from station to station, and time to time. I think with Gas Buddy she gets the discount right then as opposed to having it returned to her account. Man, these days, you gotta do any/everything you can to try to save.

Yeah, I lucked out the other night. I got the 23 cents per gallon back from the Upside app and I was able to get 80 cents off per gallon b/c Shell partners with the grocery store we use for gas reward points.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
I've been using it for a little bit now. So far I've used it 6 times and have about $15 in my account. I only bother with if it's at least 10 cents/gallon back. Had to stop for gas the other night and found the closest station to me using my phone. Pulled in and just thought to check the Upside app. The offer for that station was 23 cents back per gallon. That's the most I've ever had. I'm working from home now, so not driving all that much. If you're driving a good bit, though, you could get some pretty decent money back. It's not a ton of money, but it's free money. Of course, I always check to make sure the amount back per gallon isn't negated by higher priced gas, but around here all the gas stations are pretty much the same price, so that hasn't been an issue.

Im completely unfamiliar with that - what’s it do?

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Im completely unfamiliar with that - what’s it do?

Just download the Upside app. Search for deals near you (most are gas stations, some restaurants). For gas stations, it'll show you all the ones near you with offers. If you see one that you like, just click "claim offer" and you have I think 4 hours to actually use it. You can either register your credit card and it'll recognize when you've completed the transaction, or you can take a pic of the receipt and upload it. Then after a day or so, they'll credit your Upside account. You can either cash out any point and have the money transferred to your bank account or get it in the form of restaurant gift card etc. Deals can be as low as 1 cent per gallon back. I don't bother claiming an offer unless it's at least 10 cents/gallon. It ain't a ton of money, but if you fill up with 15 gallons, you get $1.50 for doing nothing.

I'm sitting at $15 right now with pretty light use. If you drive a lot or have multiple cars in the family, it seems like it could add up.

ToddFlanders

Jan 20, 2022
Just download the Upside app. Search for deals near you (most are gas stations, some restaurants). For gas stations, it'll show you all the ones near you with offers. If you see one that you like, just click "claim offer" and you have I think 4 hours to actually use it. You can either register your credit card and it'll recognize when you've completed the transaction, or you can take a pic of the receipt and upload it. Then after a day or so, they'll credit your Upside account. You can either cash out any point and have the money transferred to your bank account or get it in the form of restaurant gift card etc. Deals can be as low as 1 cent per gallon back. I don't bother claiming an offer unless it's at least 10 cents/gallon. It ain't a ton of money, but if you fill up with 15 gallons, you get $1.50 for doing nothing.

I'm sitting at $15 right now with pretty light use. If you drive a lot or have multiple cars in the family, it seems like it could add up.

That’s pretty cool. Will have to get my wife on that one - she’s the one carting all the kids around in the minivan.

GamecockMike

Joined Mar 29, 2008
Jan 19, 2022
I don't use that one.

Play their circle k game also to win prizes including up to .30 off per gallon.I wore out their rock,paper,scissors game.I noticed a pattern to it and won practically every time.

Reactions: 92Pony

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
That’s pretty cool. Will have to get my wife on that one - she’s the one carting all the kids around in the minivan.

I'm not sure if there are other apps that do the same thing...just happened to hear about it on a radio program. I'm pretty skeptical of most anything that claims to give you something for nothing but finally tried this app after my sister used it. It genuinely seems to be free money.

will110

Joined Aug 17, 2018
Jan 20, 2022
Yep I've been using it for a few years now. I'm up to $414.99 total cashback now. It slowly adds up to a little bit of cash that otherwise I wouldn't have had.

Hntr22

Feb 3, 2022
I've been using it since April when a friend told me about it. As of this morning, I am up to almost $23. What I've found is that most places that offer a discount will charge you more for using a credit card, so it all equals out and I don't end up saving much in the long haul of it.

And before anyone jumps on the use of a credit card, we use our credit cards for EVERYTHING. We get "paid" to use them, so why not? We have Chase cards that give us 1% cash back on every purchase and then 5% back on various purchases every quarter. We usually end up with $700-$900 at the end of every year in cash back. A friend of mine turned me on to the idea many years ago and I've never looked back. It's safe because if anything gets hacked, unauthorized purchases, etc., most credit card companies cover you, and if it's money you're going to spend anyway, why not get paid to do it?

Garnet Blood

Joined Sep 21, 2000
Feb 1, 2022
I like the 5% cards from now to 9/30 my AARP card is 5% bonus over the already 3% I could have misinterpreted that. I think last 3 months was discovery. the 5% AARP is for gas, groceries and restaurants. Nice to use 5% at these restaurants that tack on 3%. I signed up for upstate but most stations are not near me, I had been getting $600 to $800 a year but now it's just me and no one way 75 mile trips (Gamecocks)for this 84 year old. Nice to get 5% back at ALDI. Of course I have no debit card, credit score over 800 with numerous card allowing up to $87,000 in charges, pay before interest, I get turned down when I keep applying for the $200 rebate if you spend $1000 in 3 months. My daughter was on to me because I was saying I had to sell some bonds by a certain date or pay Maintenace fee of $20 but I'm going to have to cash in anyway to change residence but I told her she never worked for $.50 an hour and weekly pay after school was less than $20.

Reactions: German cock

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
What I've found is that most places that offer a discount will charge you more for using a credit card, so it all equals out and I don't end up saving much in the long haul of it.

Oh, I have not encountered that in years. Wasn't aware it was still a thing to charge more for credit purchases than cash at gas stations. I also use my credit card.

Hntr22

Feb 3, 2022
Oh, I have not encountered that in years. Wasn't aware it was still a thing to charge more for credit purchases than cash at gas stations. I also use my credit card.
Yep, the Spinx gas stations near me are the ones that I've seen do it the most. They'll offer 0.12 off per gallon, but then charge me 0.12 to use my credit card. It's not a bad deal if you're paying cash.

Latest posts