Anyone on here remember a couple

Rooster47

Joined Jul 12, 2006
Jan 21, 2022
of restaurants in Columbia in the late 60's early 70's Doug Broome's drive-in on N Main and Tripp's fried chicken on Millwood?

Reactions: Brian Shoemaker

GuitarCock

Jan 25, 2022
of restaurants in Columbia in the late 60's early 70's Doug Broome's drive-in on N Main and Tripp's fried chicken on Millwood?
If you're on Facebook, you should join this group. I'm in my 30s but I know all about Doug Broome's from reading on here haha

Reactions: Rooster47

1vagamecock

Jan 19, 2022
When I grew up in Greenville there was a old ice cream parlor I think it was called The Big Scoop. Take your date there and the old couple that ran it would play the piano and sing.....good times!

Reactions: TN-Gamecock

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
I remember Doug Broome's, as well as the Varsity farther up Main Street near Columbia College.

Atlanta Cock

Jan 18, 2022
Pimento Burger at Dairy Bar. Cheese burger at Shealey’s. Can’t recall the name, but there was a meat and 3 in West Cola that was very small and run by a bunch of older women. Best biscuits to this day.

Reactions: Spinal Tap

CockofEarle

Jan 31, 2022
When I grew up in Greenville there was a old ice cream parlor I think it was called The Big Scoop. Take your date there and the old couple that ran it would play the piano and sing.....good times!
Where was that place located?

Spinal Tap

Jan 22, 2022
Pimento Burger at Dairy Bar. Cheese burger at Shealey’s. Can’t recall the name, but there was a meat and 3 in West Cola that was very small and run by a bunch of older women. Best biscuits to this day.

Loved me some Pimento burgers. And there was a place to play foosball and have cheap beer a few doors down. Then Campus Corner also nearby.

Reactions: King Ward

Fried Chicken

Jan 30, 2022
Speaking of biscuits…The Biscuit House across from the stadium. Best Chicken Biscuit you’ll eat. It was massive. The Dixiecrat was good too.

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
I’m still upset Cogburn’s closed.
Ate at the one downtown for three years while attending the REAL Columbia High at the corner of Marion and Washington Streets. For $2.99 you got a small ribeye, potato, salad, and toast. Of course this was 1973 - 1975. Cogburns, Drakes Duck-In, and Taylor Street Pharmacy were a few of my favorites for lunch lunch back then..

Reactions: Dod Rangerfield

Hobcawcreekcock

Joined Dec 10, 2000 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 22, 2022
Used to go to Herb’s regularly. Ice cold draft beer served in frosted mugs, great fried chicken, catfish stew, and decent hamburgers. Herb sold his place and moved to his lake house in Chapin. I believe there is a CVS where Herb’s used to be. Corner of Broad River and St Andrews Road. Area gas gone to s$&t since then. Herb died several years ago.

Hank Williams

Jan 22, 2022
One our standard places was Varsity Billiards. It was an easy walking distance from the Towers and they had the best double chili-cheeseburgers in the world. I wasn't much of a pool player but frequently observed very good players hustling.

King Ward

Jan 20, 2022
Ate at the one downtown for three years while attending the REAL Columbia High at the corner of Marion and Washington Streets. For $2.99 you got a small ribeye, potato, salad, and toast. Of course this was 1973 - 1975. Cogburns, Drakes Duck-In, and Taylor Street Pharmacy were a few of my favorites for lunch lunch back then..
I think Drake's Duck-in on Main is still there, is it not? I used to eat there when I clerked at J.C. Penny's during my time at USC. I thought it was good. The Drake's out where Taylor Street, Forest, Drive, Millwood, and Two Notch all joined has been gone for a long while. I ate there only once as a small boy, carried there by my parents on a shopping trip to Columbia.

PD-Cock

Jan 29, 2022
One our standard places was Varsity Billiards. It was an easy walking distance from the Towers and they had the best double chili-cheeseburgers in the world. I wasn't much of a pool player but frequently observed very good players hustling.
Double chili cheeseburger- best in the world (y)