At the end of YET ANOTHER unsuccessful women's basketball season...

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
A brief reminder:

</p>

C

CTLANDBULLDOG

that this woman has been at MSU for 13 seasons. Guys, it's time for her *** to go ! Her teams have never been really good. I lost faith in her all the times the Lady Dogs would get up into double digits over the Tennessee Lady Vols with 5 minutes to play and not only lose the double digit leads , but lose by double digits.Yes, I know ! It's the Lady Vols I am talking about BUT....damn ! Plus--the Lady Dogs lost at home to a subpar Kentucky team this year. Yes! It is past time for her to leave !

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
I have no idea what the terms of her extension were, how much money she made, or how much money she makes now because, quite frankly, I don't care. However, another way to look at it is that LT could have fired her and brought in another coach. I would assume she's not making much if we suck so bad, and to hire a better coach would require more money. That would be money that could be better spent on a sport that matters.

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
The tragedy is ole Lar renewed her by simply laying a contract for four years on her desk. He did the same thing for Polk. No discussion, just sign it. His legacy will kick our *** for a few more years.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
....lowest in the SEC, by the way, so I'm guessing you could probably avoid the tree falling.

I wonder if they even bother selling reserved seat season ticket packages to women's games?

BewareOfMSUDawg

Oct 8, 2006
.....that the women's tournament had started. When I saw the score on the link to the Daily Journal blog on the front page I was totally confused. I thought surely we weren't playing Ole Miss the day after playing Vandy.

Well, there's my women's bball post for the year.

Paper Dog

Feb 20, 2008
I am not arguing for Sharon Fanning

However, Kentucky is fourth in the SEC this year - they also took LSU to the final shot in Baton Rouge; whereas, MSU lost 84-31 in that same building

Plus, State played Kentucky without Marneshia Richard (our best defensive player), who missed the game with a broken nose

Now, if you say MSU lost to an Arkansas team that is one of the 50 worst in Division 1 - now there, you would be correct

mcduffdawg

Mar 4, 2008
It seems like she is waiting for April Sykes to finally get out of high school and then she will get serious again.</p>

rugbdawg

Oct 10, 2006
Regardless of how she has performed, I think we should fire her because her salary has gotten too high. There is no reason why we can't change women's coaches every three or four years to keep costs down. Nobody gives a **** so no one would care if we fired a winner to keep salaries low.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
The ONLY way I would care about the Titty Dogs would be if they hired Van Chancellor as the HC. Then I might go to a game or so.

That or if we just brought in a team of hot chicks that looked good but didn't really care- kind of like Anna Kournikova, except with basketball.

Dawgbreeze

Jun 11, 2007
Interesting you say that. Van was interested in the MSU job before LSU reached out and hired him. Larry was told he was interested but never called him. Might have been money but Van would have probably come back to MSU, his alma mater with some things such as giving the assistants slight raises to compete. Just facts of the case but ole Lar will always hide behinf budget yet he has cost MSU tons of money for contracts that had to be bought out and he holds nobody accountable. That is why his *** is gone.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
When was this because if it was while Fanning was still our coach, I could kind of understand that.

That said, firing her would be worth the money and interest that a Chancellor would bring to MSU.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
If that's the case, she needs to be fired. We can hire the janitor at the University Inn for $30,000 a year and put the extra money to use somewhere that actually matters.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
On the same team for two years, and couldn't make the Sweet Sixteen.
One of the best women's basketball recruits in the country grew up in our backyard (plays for East Oktibbeha) , has an aunt on the team, and didn't give us a look.

TilloDawg

May 26, 2006
Yeah...a lot of folks may not realize that. Fanning was introduced as our new women's coach at a Midnight Madness in 1995(you know, the year Dontae Jones was in school).

I'm a lot older now, but I think that MM followed a trmendous ***-whipping at the hands of Steve Tanneyhill & the other Cocks. I believe they hung close to 60 on us that night........

ScoobaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
to make it worse, said recruit was a huge MSU fan..game to all the games over the past several seasons at least..

and wouldnt give msu a look because she knew he time here would be a waste.

if ole lar truly screwed the pooch on hiring chancellor, then i wouldn't be surprised and would only add to me ever growing list of why he was the worst thing to ever happen to this university.

jackbaddawg

Nov 16, 2005
She (SF) makes more money for doing so less than than anybody I know in the whole world.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
and do you know how many games I watched?

One, the Elite Eight game against UT, because it was one of the only things on TV, and I was on the road that night with nothing better to do.

Basically, there is no reason to invest in the women's team. If you win, good. If not, who cares. Only a handful of women's programs even make money, so it's better to just keep the costs down and let the UTs of the world run all over you.

The only way I'd fire a women's coach is if she was so bad that it got to be embarassing. I think Memphis finally fired their women's coach after about 3 or 4 years in a row of winning less than 10 games for the entire season. Now, if you are that bad that you start drawing attention to your program for how bad it is, then you have to go. But as long as you win 10-15 games a year and don't embarass the school, and as long as you're cheap, I'd keep you.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Although I want State to win at every sport, paying a women's bball coach at Mississippi State more than what is the minimum is not a priority. I say go find a young person and pay them 125K or whatever the lowest amount is in the SEC.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
At some point will someone try to pass legislation that coaches for men's and women's sports be paid equally? Meaning if we're paying Stansbury 930 large a year then we have to pay Fanning the same amount. Or maybe the equal number of dollars spent for coaches of men's sports must be spent on the women's side as well.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I say go find a young person and pay them 125K or whatever the lowest amount is in the SEC.
After all, we believe it'll work for Athletic Director.

Eureka Dog

Feb 25, 2008
predecessor.

One of the HUGE problems for WBB at schools other than UT, LSU, and UGA is that the SEC office went crazy and moved all of the women's games off of the same nights as the men's. I am convinced this was done only for UT, so they could make more money off of their women's team.

I know that when I was at MSU, we'd go to the women's game just to make sure we had good seats for the men's game to follow. It's not the same thing as actually supporting the WBB team, but the crowds were larger, and we actually cheered for the ladies.

Stansfield

Apr 3, 2007
the only fans there are also mostly the players friends and family and a couple odd ball fans.