Baltimore Key bridge collapse

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
1. They were in their channel, about to make a starboard turn to go into the channel that went under the bridge. I've made reference to the harbor chart and posted a link to it twice already.
No sorry, the pilot ordered the rudder hard left indicating he wanted to turn to port. The ship was south bound and west of center channel. Another interesting fact about ships, the stern swings with the rudder, the bow does not lead a turn. The stern swings and when the desired compass heading approaches the pilot orders the helmsman to ease the rudder to steady up on a course.

Reactions: Tgar

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
No sorry, the pilot ordered the rudder hard left indicating he wanted to turn to port. The ship was south bound and west of center channel. Another interesting fact about ships, the stern swings with the rudder, the bow does not lead a turn. The stern swings and when the desired compass heading approaches the pilot orders the helmsman to ease the rudder to steady up on a course.
If you want to steady on the new course, you will have to take the rudder a bit past center to stop the swing. At least on a destroyer you do- I never steered a container ship.

I do stand corrected on where it was coming from- I thought it was in the Curtis Bay Channel, but apparently it was in the Fort McHenry channel. They must have lost steering some time before I had thought to have drifted that far to starboard.

Reactions: Tgar and PSUAVLNC

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
If you want to trade cargo between US ports your ship must be “flagged” in the US. (Jones Act). You cannot load cargo in a U.S. port and discharge it in another US port unless your ship is “Jones Act”. The caveat to that rule is you can stop at a foreign port in between US ports. That’s how cruise ship companies get around the Jones Act. The leave the US and will always call in a foreign port before returning US.
This ship is registered in the Bahamas (according to Wikipedia). Departs from New Jersey and first stop is in Florida,
Royal Caribbean - Symphony of the Seas-Aug 2024.
Something is inconsistent.

throw2oj

Oct 12, 2021
I'm surprised at the 31K vehicles/day on this bridge. Our little drawbridge that is being replaced (I've been using a PITA detour for a year now) is 21K/day. I guess this bridge is mainly for trucks and haz/mat vehicles while all the cars are in the tunnels?
The main traffic corridors are 95 and 895, the two tunnels that cross the patapsco. This one goes from mostly industrial to industrial area and has much less traffic.

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
This ship is registered in the Bahamas (according to Wikipedia). Departs from New Jersey and first stop is in Florida,
Royal Caribbean - Symphony of the Seas-Aug 2024.
Something is inconsistent.
For cruise ships the passengers are the "cargo" - in this case the passengers that embarked in NJ cannot disembark in Florida. Until that ship calls on a foreign port those passengers cannot disembark in any US port. It happens all the time and the passenger pays a $1200 Jones Act Violation Fee to USCBP and then cannot get back on the ship again.

Last edited:

LionJim

Oct 12, 2021
Question remain as to what she's steering herself into.
Mulkey has displayed a remarkable ignorance of the Streisand Effect. Also: it’s not wise to threaten a defamation lawsuit before the fact because if you end up not suing you’re speaking volumes. Edit How the hell did this end up in the FSK Bridge thread?

Last edited:

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
For cruise ships the passengers are the "cargo" - in this case the passengers that embarked in NJ cannot disembark in Florida. Until that ship calls on a foreign port those passengers cannot disembark in any US port. It happens all the time and the passenger pays a $1200 Jones Act Violation Fee to USCBP and then cannot get back on the ship again.
There are excursions (Disney, Cape Canaveral, Universal, etc.) in FL for passengers that embarked in NJ.

The passengers are going to be passed at Royal Caribbean if they are subject to a $1200 fine per person.

It does not look like the ship is taking on any new passengers in FL.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
I found this...
Passenger Vessel Services Act

To me, reading this, the Jones Act does not apply to passenger vessels. A similar Act does apply.

My understanding...
Passengers, on the Royal Caribbean cruise that I referenced, would not violate the act if they continue on the cruise to a distant foreign port and the cruise ends where it began. So, if someone is on a Orlando excursion and misses the ship (for any reason, gets injured and has to spend a night in hospital, just late to port, etc.) they would be in violation of the PVSA. If there is a violation, the cruise line is responsible, not the passenger.

Nitt1300

Oct 12, 2021
I found this...

To me, reading this, the Jones Act does not apply to passenger vessels. A similar Act does apply.

My understanding...
Passengers, on the Royal Caribbean cruise that I referenced, would not violate the act if they continue on the cruise to a distant foreign port and the cruise ends where it began. So, if someone is on a Orlando excursion and misses the ship (for any reason, gets injured and has to spend a night in hospital, just late to port, etc.) they would be in violation of the PVSA. If there is a violation, the cruise line is responsible, not the passenger.
I would have assumed that CJF was at fault.

• Haha
Reactions: SleepyLion

PSUAVLNC

Oct 28, 2021
I found this...

My understanding...
Exactly right. I did not do a very good job of trying to explain. When a passenger has to voluntarily disembark, say an emergency at home, they pay the penalty.

SleepyLion

Sep 1, 2022
Gonna chime in. The $1200 fee to leave a cruise is absolutely. Change the ******* law.
I belive the cruise line pays it, not the passenger. And it is only if there was not a stop at a foreign port at some point before the passenger leaves.
Also, yes change the law anyway.

manatree

Oct 6, 2021
This video goes into the schedule for cleanup and limited moving of freight, etc.

Latest posts